Space Hulk Has Emerged From Warp! (Is this gonna be another bug hunt, sir?)

Started by JasonPratt, August 10, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek


Grimnirsson

Multiplayer is over the internet or just hotseat mode? And again my initial question - there is no demo for this game, is that correct?
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de


undercovergeek

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/#more-164789

"And that really sums this scrappy, boring adaptation up. A lack of care. It's about as bad as it could possibly be"

oh dear - i know only one persons opinion - but consider it panned

Jarhead0331

The RPS review is overly harsh.  My review will be more balanced and less emotional.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ComradeP

Of course, the game's Steam store page has the "I really think they've nailed it – both the strategy and the feel, retaining what makes Space Hulk Space Hulk while convincingly turning it into a videogame, not a mere boardgame made from pixels" from the RPS preview, which Steam calls a review, and doesn't mention the review.

The game looks interesting, but I don't like what I'm hearing about guns jamming. That might be charming in a boardgame, but not if it's really random. "Oh, gun jam for 1 critical guy, most/all of your guys die with absolutely nothing you can do about it" doesn't sound like fun. If it's just something that can be prevented by storing action points or something similar, it's OK.

I'm actually sort of overcautious when it comes to these kind of potentially game killing things (as in: not actual bugs, but randomness that might mean you've wasted a significant amount of time on a mission as it arbitrarily causes you to fail). In DoW II, I spent over 30 hours on the game before I ran into a bug with some Eldar I had to kill where the campaign didn't continue afterwards. Even though I liked DoW II, I never got back to playing it. 30 hours to get back to a certain point seemed too tedious, as it wouldn't actually show me anything I had already seen, aside from minor various in missions and starting with a different path. The lack of a save function during missions also doesn't really help. Sometimes you can't spend 1.5 hours or so in a row on a game, which I needed in some scenarios due to my slow and methodical pace to avoid losses.

I guess in the case of this game, I'd only have to play one mission again, but still. A feature like random gun jamming seems like too much of a roll of the dice, more suitable for a boardgame than a PC game. Terminators "missing" when firing automatic weapons in such a confined space is not problematic as long as you think of it as a dice game, but the situation of misses followed by a jam mentioned in the RPS review might, as the reviewer stated, be interesting in a boardgame but I can imagine how it's highly frustrating on a PC. I prefer to have at least some influence on what happens.

The bugs the RPS reviewer encountered with even simple things like clipping are also not encouraging.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Bison

Quote from: Toonces on August 16, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
This sounds like a good Friday night beer game, to complement Poker Night at the Inventory.

You know, for those nights when Crusader Kings 2 is just a bit too....hard.

So you'll be playing it a lot then, eh?

Gusington

Wow I need to read that RPS review. The one thing I learned so far in my short time playing it is if you have a choice begween using a Terminator's fist or his bolter, always use the bolter. I wish I had an image of me trying to take out a Genestealer by punching it, missing and then killed. Hilariously tragic end to that mission.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 16, 2013, 06:56:52 AM
The RPS review is overly harsh.  My review will be more balanced and less emotional.

looking forward to it

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 16, 2013, 06:56:52 AM
The RPS review is overly harsh.  My review will be more balanced and less emotional.

Bear in mind that Rab is crazy about Space Hulk; he absolutely loves it.  He was certainly the right person to review the game.

Edit: Oh, just noticed that he says as much in the first paragraph.  How about I read the whole thing before commenting further? :D

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on August 16, 2013, 04:30:08 AM
Multiplayer is over the internet or just hotseat mode? And again my initial question - there is no demo for this game, is that correct?

I don't know about a demo, but I believe it offers both Hotseat and internet multiplay.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 16, 2013, 06:09:51 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/#more-164789

"And that really sums this scrappy, boring adaptation up. A lack of care. It's about as bad as it could possibly be"

oh dear - i know only one persons opinion - but consider it panned

Actually, I can see that perspective.

But I like it.

It is a very simple game for a PC game. The actions you take are limited. You may die several times before you figure out a decent approach to a level.

For all that I think it overcomes the sum of its parts. I like it. But it's not the kind of game I find myself playing for hours and hours and not notice the time. It's more of a win-two-levels-and-out game, or a killed-three-times-on-this-level-I'm-done-tonight game.

The animations help spruce up the game, but at its heart it's a simple turn-based game.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.


Huw the Poo

Rab's review isn't encouraging.  However, based on his words, it sounds to me like playing it multiplayer with someone you know will be quite alright.  So that's what I'm hoping to do.  Might pick it up on pay day next week. :)

undercovergeek

having never played the board game i can imagine the drama he wants encapsulating with the misses and jams and the screaming in each others face - i just think thats the price you pay for playing a pc game and not a board game