Space Hulk Has Emerged From Warp! (Is this gonna be another bug hunt, sir?)

Started by JasonPratt, August 10, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 18, 2013, 02:21:27 PM
ok so the game isnt what was expected?

go back to playing AirLand Battle.

How do you come to that conclusion based on what has been posted in this thread? I'd say the game is everything that was expected. Depending on your perspective though, that may or may not be a good thing!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

Well we didn't expect around 1/3 of the buyers to have game-killing bugs, but other than that it's an almost exact port of the boardgame.

In that sense, yes it's what we expected. :)

(Some people expected it would never be able to recreate the proper interactivity of the boardgame per se, and of course that's true, but for those of us who don't have the boardgame or someone to play it with, it works. Minus the bugs. ;)


Meanwhile, I'm rather surprised that whoever owns the rights to Dawn of War now didn't authorize a sale at Steam and/or GG to pick up some good will (or bad will!) from the release of Space Hulk. I would have quickly snapped up Retribution if it was on sale.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

0kult13

patch out  ;D. must say liking it more the more i play it. did not notice before but it does show the dice rolls and you don't have to wait for a termie to finish moving before you move another. If i could ask for something it would be fp view, to give the claustrophobic feeling.

Gusington

Since I never played the board game or the older PC version I like this just fine as well.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bob48 on August 18, 2013, 01:58:30 PM
I'm really liking it so far. Earlier, I pulled off a no casualty win in 'Clense and Burn' - a mission that I always had trouble with (for some reason) in the board game.

Not sure what other stuff unlocks, but it would be nice to have the 'Deathwing' and 'Genestealer' expansions. I did see somewhere that we can expect a painter so that we can create other chapters as you can in DoW, so that would be nice.

I just pulled off a casualty-free run of Decoy. Of course, I'm not playing with the Space Marine timer, so I'm kinda cheating and giving myself more time for planning that I would normally have.  ;D

Yeah, I'm hopeful that this gets supported. I'm also down for some MP with people at some point. Anyone tried that yet? Does it use your Steam friends list, or something else?

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 18, 2013, 02:34:13 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 18, 2013, 02:21:27 PM
ok so the game isnt what was expected?

go back to playing AirLand Battle.

How do you come to that conclusion based on what has been posted in this thread? I'd say the game is everything that was expected. Depending on your perspective though, that may or may not be a good thing!

because Im playing that and not this.   ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


JasonPratt

Phew, I forgot how completely nasty that Toxin map was. Doesn't help that the game flat refused to tell me how far away from the pumps I had to remain to fire my heavy weapons at.

Heh, got DoW:SS running this afternoon, too. Not sure why it wouldn't run the first time I tried to install it months ago, but oh well, it works now. Never did play the campaign on that one, had a plethora of choices but decided to stick with the grunty guards, since on the balance they seem to have the best reason to be fighting in the system.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

So I keep hearing you guys talk about Warhammer and how you want to play it in preparation for Space Hulk...

And in fact, I even saw a well-known Groghead log onto Steam and play Warhammer this afternoon while I was busy with an adult game of Red Orchestra 2...

So I look back to my Steam library.  I have the entire DoW series.  I know I booted up DoW2 before and for some reason never played it again.  Anyway, all the discussion made me think perhaps I missed something, so I just booted it back up.   I had 6 minutes played before.

Ok, first campaign mission...man alive.  I am just not sure what you guys are seeing in this.  DoW2 reminds me of that game in the Simpsons that Bart wanted to get for Xmas: Bonestorm.

Sorry, can't find a clip.  But trust me, it's just like DoW2.   ;D

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

for whatever reason I just cant get into the mythos of this 'verse.  Ive tried but it just doesnt stick.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 18, 2013, 11:35:28 PM
for whatever reason I just cant get into the mythos of this 'verse.  Ive tried but it just doesnt stick.

That is a perfectly legitimate reaction to any franchise. Some folks won't "get it" and that's OK.

I never got into the WH/WH40K stuff until I messed around with the minis and read a bunch of the books. I figured I had to do it since there were too many people who were writers or forumites who were into it.

Now that I've played the games I get into it. I'm not crazy about the stuff, but I can appreciate when a good game comes along, like Space Hulk.

BTW Space Hulk gets a lot better once you start unlocking some of the cool toys for the Termies.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Bonestorm video courtesy of 1UP.

The actual game of Bonestorm isn't so much like WH40K as the mock game before it (with a guy punching a tank) and Santa's sleigh crashing the house, both of which take up much more of the pseudo-commercial together. Bonestorm itself is more like Mortal Kombat.

However, I would totally believe something in WH40K is called "Bonestorm".  ;D  Santa and his sleigh would completely fit into WH40K, too.  8)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on August 18, 2013, 11:20:57 PM
Ok, first campaign mission...man alive.  I am just not sure what you guys are seeing in this.

DoW2 is rather different from DoW1 (though with better graphics): if you don't like hero-based tactical real-time battles, don't bother. (Retribution might be more squad-based, seems like it, but I don't have that yet so I can't confirm.) The game does become more complex after the first missions, but it still amounts to taking 2 to 6 characters and running them around an isometric map shooting (and occasionally punching) an army of other things, zapping off the occasional superpower, and pimping them out with gear and levelups in between fights. (There's a story, too, but if you aren't interested in the WH40K background material by the time you get into the first mission, you probably aren't going to care anymore later.)


While DoW1 has occasional hero units (including a main character who levels up with gear in the 3rd and 4th game campaigns), it's much more a base-building squad/vehicle management RTS, the same engine as Company of Heroes. (There's less of the base building in the campaigns of the 1st and 2nd games, but still largely squad management.) In design I agree with the majority consensus that it's one of the finest RTS games of its generation and, along with Battle For Middle-Earth (1 not 2) and Kohan 2: Kings of War, one of the easiest games for new RTS players to learn. However, like many people I find DoW1 badly needs the camera-zoomout mod to work best at higher resolutions.


One of the nice things about DoW1 is that by the time you get to Soulstorm (and except for the campaigns, and some differences in the rules that some people prefer like having no limit on turrets in earlier games, there isn't any reason to get any game earlier than SS), there are nine teams with enough differences between them for some fun variety; and you can paint and customize your teams in various ways.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

spelk

If you're a bit frustrated with this PC port, and you have an Android device, its worth looking over the Trese Brothers Templar Assault game.



0kult13

I wish there was a classic mode, with basic squads sarg flamer and heavy bolters. the librarian is really overpowered, just done the capture and escape with the relic missions on hard first time without losing a guy.   The librarians ability to block a tile makes it way too easy. I want this game to last longer. The ability to unjam bolters in OW using CP is advantage enough.

eyebiter

.
#164
.