Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I ended up buying it an Elite due to a credit sent to my Paypal account after cancelling an order.  Due to the hops induced haze, I couldn't figure out why my first city wasn't expanding.  Then it clicked that because I was playing the empty suits of armor guys that I needed to spend gold (dust just sounds stupid) to expand.  Time to start over.

undercovergeek


Barthheart


BanzaiCat


Silent Disapproval Robot

Does anyone else find that the interface just doesn't fit with the setting?  I like the UI as it's very easy to navigate but it just seems too clean and modern for a high fantasy setting.  Where are my old-timey gothic fonts on wood grain panels?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 18, 2014, 03:33:32 PM
Does anyone else find that the interface just doesn't fit with the setting?  I like the UI as it's very easy to navigate but it just seems too clean and modern for a high fantasy setting.  Where are my old-timey gothic fonts on wood grain panels?

Yeah.  It's almost just like the Endless Space UI.  While the functionality is similarly excellent, using the same artistic style isn't so much.  I'm just glad they used the color black for the background as opposed to something silly like silver *cough**CW2**cough*.  So it's not as bad as others.

The game art is nice.  The interface art is just re-used Endless Space stuff.  I'm still enjoying the building & customization side of the game but the combat and warfare is meh.  I'll probably have to go back to AOW3 and FE:LH when I want more interesting conflict.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 18, 2014, 03:33:32 PM
Does anyone else find that the interface just doesn't fit with the setting?  I like the UI as it's very easy to navigate but it just seems too clean and modern for a high fantasy setting.  Where are my old-timey gothic fonts on wood grain panels?


There is a little tie in with the Endless Space Lore..... this being the pre-cursor of history to the Endless Space game.


PE

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is the AI generally very passive?  I'm 75 turns in to my first game and I've managed to knock out two other factions with complete ease.  The AI doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.  They had units in one city that could have come out to attack my stack that was besieging another city very close by, but they didn't.  Nor did the 3 unit stack in the besieged city try to attack.  They just sat there until the defences were reduced to zero and my 3 units plus hero were able to slaughter them.

tgb

I haven't seen that at all.  What level are you playing on?  IN my games, every time I've laid siege to a city the AI has sent an army out to try to break it.  The only thing the AI seems to be passive about is exploring temples.  It doesn't appear to do that at all.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm not sure what the AI is set at.  Whatever the default settings are.  They are out and about doing stuff as they are building new cities and I did get a pop up message informing me that a faction I hadn't yet met had been wiped out. 

Having said that, I've got the dragon dudes and the gypsies guys with porn 'staches on my borders.  According to the dip page, they're both less than fond of me yet neither of them troubles me in the slightest.  They seem content to sit idly until I decide to attack them.

Nefaro

#175
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 19, 2014, 12:23:53 AM
Is the AI generally very passive?  I'm 75 turns in to my first game and I've managed to knock out two other factions with complete ease.  The AI doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.  They had units in one city that could have come out to attack my stack that was besieging another city very close by, but they didn't.  Nor did the 3 unit stack in the besieged city try to attack.  They just sat there until the defences were reduced to zero and my 3 units plus hero were able to slaughter them.

Some recent patch notes mentioned that AI factions have a hard turn limit for when they're allowed to besiege your cities (after game start) and another one a bit further on for attacking your armies.  I believe the first is sometime before Turn 100 (75 or 90?) and the second is at or near that.



EDIT:  Here's a quote about Minor Factions-
QuoteMinor factions can now attack cities starting turn 100th, besiege them starting turn 50th and attack converted villages starting turn 15th.

Dunno about the large opposing AI factions.  I've not played enough to encounter a very large AI army that could threaten me much yet.  When the Minors were besieging my city with only two units, in the previous version, they'd get exceptionally murderized when I sent my army in due to the extra Militia troops you get for fighting near it.  I suspect that's part of the reason they created the initial turn limitations for doing so, along with the possibility of constantly tying up some players' scouting units in the early game.  I've already seen those Minors villages steadily kicking out small armies into my territory and if they were going straight over to siege my city, I'd get little done with my initial army.

tgb

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 19, 2014, 06:55:20 AM

Having said that, I've got the dragon dudes and the gypsies guys with porn 'staches on my borders.  According to the dip page, they're both less than fond of me yet neither of them troubles me in the slightest.  They seem content to sit idly until I decide to attack them.

The "dragon dudes" are the diplomats of the game, and are programmed to go for a diplomatic/alliance victory.  The "Pornstache Gypsies" are traders (economic faction) and their weakness is that they can't declare war.  So I'm not surprised neither has bothered you.  Play a game with Cultists or Necrophages living next door and let me know how that goes, OK?

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Necro bugs and the Magic chicks were the two right on my borders.  Neither did much but sit back and let me roll over them.  Neither ever sent out a unit to attack.  They'd just content themselves with occasionally asking me to stop after I'd taken one of their cities.

tgb

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 19, 2014, 11:14:23 AM
The Necro bugs and the Magic chicks were the two right on my borders.  Neither did much but sit back and let me roll over them.  Neither ever sent out a unit to attack.  They'd just content themselves with occasionally asking me to stop after I'd taken one of their cities.

SO all four were on your border?  Who had the strongest military?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nope.  The dragon guys were on my south-east, the Necros were to the northwest, and the mages were to the west.  the trader guys were on the other side of the Necros and, as I took out the Necros, they now share a border with me.  The Vaulters were wiped out by someone else before I met them and there's one faction I've not run into yet.  Not sure who had the strongest military.  I'll check the graphs when I get home.