America's Army: Proving Ground?

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 01, 2013, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Just saw this was released on steam recently as a free to play.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203290/

Anybody play it yet?  Never really played any of the past versions, so what the heck I will download later today and give it a try.

Nefaro

I enjoyed the original AA, years ago.  Dunno how it progressed over time, however. 

The oldie was great because it was a bit more of a "tactical" type shooter.  Movement, breathing, all that stuff that typically has an effect in shooters these days, was more of a problem for accuracy IIRC.  So there wasn't a bunch of run, gun, spray, or bunny hop going on because you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while doing them at the same time, and you didn't magically glide along at high speed with your weapon up (and you practically always had to aim down the sight to hit anything).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 01, 2013, 07:02:01 PM
I enjoyed the original AA, years ago.  Dunno how it progressed over time, however. 

The oldie was great because it was a bit more of a "tactical" type shooter.  Movement, breathing, all that stuff that typically has an effect in shooters these days, was more of a problem for accuracy IIRC.  So there wasn't a bunch of run, gun, spray, or bunny hop going on because you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while doing them at the same time, and you didn't magically glide along at high speed with your weapon up (and you practically always had to aim down the sight to hit anything).

I downloaded it today and seems like it might be multi player only, unless I just can't figure out how to play single player.....therefore a no go for me right now.

jomni

AA has always been a multiplayer title.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on September 01, 2013, 07:55:07 PM
AA has always been a multiplayer title.

Really?  Could have sworn the last version I tried of the game had a single player mode...but that likely was long ago or I am just mis-remembering....either way, off the hard drive it comes if only MP.

jomni

Coop or adversarial. Maybe some training missions are single player.

Seeing that this version has capture the flag makes me cringe.

Nefaro

#6
Quote from: jomni on September 01, 2013, 08:53:05 PM
Coop or adversarial. Maybe some training missions are single player.

Seeing that this version has capture the flag makes me cringe.

Yeah, I think the oldie had some brief singleplayer tutorial - the usual "go to the firing range" thing but the actual game was only multi-player.

It was one of my favorite FPSes for a time, despite being an indoors style claustrophobic shooter.  The levels were great, as was the gameplay.  Not many FPSes force you to work as a time like than one did.  If you were opening a door & entering a room by your lonesome, even carefully, you were taking a huge risk.  Had to be very careful and work as a team.  I like those kinds of shooters.

I also recall them adding ricocheting bullets and other goodies, shortly after launch way back in the day.   Team kills were brutally realistic, and you didn't get much leeway before being booted for awhile, so using Spray & Pray into walls near your buddies was not a good idea.  Yes, precious, a shooter where you had to practice trigger control.  ;D

Not sure if it's even the same developers creating this one.  So I'm a bit wary of how different it may be.  I d/l'd and tried out the old one years after it was out, back in '07 or something.  They had upgraded & changed it quite a bit.  Still very realistic/tactical style at the time, but they had more open outdoor-ish maps and a new interface that made it difficult for me to figure out what the hell our team was supposed to be doing.