AGEOD Civil war 2 battle planner

Started by mikeck, September 12, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

That was it. I remember seeing the new ship artwork. I have decided I REALLY don't like the font they use. It's called Edmund and I guess it's supposed to look 'period' but as someone said it looks DOS-like to me. That should easy to mod though. I'll take a look...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Comparison:







The overall artwork devolved since these:







I could've used any of the other AGE titles in comparison.  The unit 'counter' art is improved, while the rest of the art assets went south.  :-\







Wolfe1759

Quote from: Nefaro on September 18, 2013, 05:10:20 PM


You even like that bright silver UI background?  It looks jarringly out of place.

This thing is fugly, other than the unit & general art.  The latter look wonderful, but most everything else is a couple steps back.  I always thought the extra art fluff was an AGEOD hallmark.  The sterile environment I'm seeing in ACW2 is making me realize how much all those extra embellishments had previously added to the experience for me.  Even if it's just some stylized parchment, marble, or leather style background art behind such info windows.

...

It sounds like they've improved some of the gameplay features, so that alone may convince me to get it at some point.  But the general art direction is disappointing.  It looks as if art expenses were cut and some basic default windows graphics were used in their stead.  :'(


This is what has kept my money in my wallet. Sterile is a very good description, when I saw the pre-release screenshots I thought it was from the Beta with placeholder UI graphics.

Unless there are significant gameplay improvements over AACW1 I'm happy to stick with the original.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

W8taminute

Ok that map is kind of fugly.  I'm with Wolfe on this.


This week saw two new games released that I was interested in and two no sales for the W8tster.  I'm kind of bummed.  I'd definitely pick up ACW2 when the price drops below 20 units. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mikeck

You guys would really forego an improved ACW startegic/operational level game by a great company like AGEOD because of the UI art? To each their own. I like the ACW map much better than AJE but prefer the previous decorative fluff and building map Icons. The unit graphics are much better in ACW2
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I really like the silver looking popups
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

Quote from: mikeck on September 18, 2013, 07:19:50 PM
You guys would really forego an improved ACW startegic/operational level game by a great company like AGEOD because of the UI art?

Hell no! -- I'm just saying, wish I could tell the territories apart more easily. Maybe there's a toggle button for that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mikeck

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 19, 2013, 07:09:22 AM
Quote from: mikeck on September 18, 2013, 07:19:50 PM
You guys would really forego an improved ACW startegic/operational level game by a great company like AGEOD because of the UI art?

Hell no! -- I'm just saying, wish I could tell the territories apart more easily. Maybe there's a toggle button for that.

I agree. I can see the territories but not the state outlines
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro


JudgeDredd

^ lol - I'm not even saying that for effect. I think they look crisp and professional.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

tgb

Quote from: mikeck on September 19, 2013, 07:10:44 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 19, 2013, 07:09:22 AM
Quote from: mikeck on September 18, 2013, 07:19:50 PM
You guys would really forego an improved ACW startegic/operational level game by a great company like AGEOD because of the UI art?

Hell no! -- I'm just saying, wish I could tell the territories apart more easily. Maybe there's a toggle button for that.

I agree. I can see the territories but not the state outlines

There's a map filter that shows state outlines.

W8taminute

It seems like that's the issue then with this game.  The AI and gameplay may be greatly improved from the previous version but there is some controversy surrounding map and interface graphics and fonts. 

If I'm going to pay 40 units for an AGEOD game, which is higher than what you usually pay for their games, then I expect the whole package.  Gameplay, AI, and graphics. 

The silver popup windows kind of remind me of Microsoft Office Suite in Windows XP.  The unit graphics are indeed stellar but against that backdrop in the map they look too good.  Because visually everything does not flow the game looks overall ugly.  Just my 2 cents but that's how I'm calling this one. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

I'm curious how their open weeks sales went compared to AEJ with the price jump. 39 is still not bad, but again, just curious if the Matrix way of higher prices has 'helped' their cause.

AGEOD is a top notch company in my book!.. lol.. with the exception of PrON...

But look how long they 'supported' the first Civil War for.. I think there was an update as late as December 2012..

I'm sure they will make more improvements as time goes on..

Rayfer

Beauty is subjective and 'in the eye of the beholder'.....I really like the new look map, a vast improvement over the psychedelic eye-sore of the original. The new map is far more functional and thus enhances gameplay mechanics. I like the new unit icons and windows as well.  To each his own.

son_of_montfort

So... aside from all this UI/map/art discussion...

Is the game fun?  ;)

Also, is it a bit more user-friendly and intuitive than the first one?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert