AGEOD Civil war 2 battle planner

Started by mikeck, September 12, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

W8taminute

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 06:33:26 AM
Since this is now being sold from Matrix and with Matrix pricing, not sure we can expect to see a price drop anytime soon, if ever....we might get lucky and it be part of a future xmas/summer sale where it is 20-30% off, but if memory serves me correct first year games typically don't make the list.


This is another reason why I'm kind of emotional on this game.  AGEOD has always published games whose mechanics differ from the norm at an attractive price.  I think this strategy is great for allowing those who are unsure to give these kinds of games a chance.  That's x amount of extra sales that you cannot get when you price a game high* because of some antiquated pricing policies and draconian discount sales events. 

I really feel bad for the AGEOD employees now that they are under the whip of Matrix. 


*I say high here because AGEODs typical pricepoint is 30 or less.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mikeck

Quote from: ComradeP on September 19, 2013, 11:56:26 PM
As much as I'd like to play a modern Civil War game, I just don't think AGEOD's combat system is my cup of tea. A large number of their games look interesting, but the combat system has prevented me from buying any (as well as fearing the AI might not be too great in some of them, but that's a lesser issue as it seems to work fairly well).

Ah well, back to the Union CWG 2 campaign for now.

Take a look at the first post in this thread. There is a new combat system stagy allows the player to choose a general plan based on the forces available and have some input over its execution.

Another poster asked about AI. I don't think there are very many strategic games with better AI. Not many
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2013, 09:55:59 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 06:33:26 AM
Since this is now being sold from Matrix and with Matrix pricing, not sure we can expect to see a price drop anytime soon, if ever....we might get lucky and it be part of a future xmas/summer sale where it is 20-30% off, but if memory serves me correct first year games typically don't make the list.


This is another reason why I'm kind of emotional on this game.  AGEOD has always published games whose mechanics differ from the norm at an attractive price.  I think this strategy is great for allowing those who are unsure to give these kinds of games a chance.  That's x amount of extra sales that you cannot get when you price a game high* because of some antiquated pricing policies and draconian discount sales events. 

I really feel bad for the AGEOD employees now that they are under the whip of Matrix. 


*I say high here because AGEODs typical pricepoint is 30 or less.

I was kinda sad to see AGEOD not doing it's own thing once again.  I'm not really sure if they will garner more sales through Matrix since the same customers were already familiar, and purchasing, from them before. 

I just figured it was to get rid of their publishing busy work.  Packaging updates, dealing with general customer service, maintaining the website, etc.  Probably saves some time or money if Matrix people are doing that stuff.  I'd still rather see AGEOD being their own small company, as I've been extremely happy with their dedication, support, and involvement with their fans over the years, when they're calling all their own shots.  It's yet to be seen if they can maintain that level of quality under Matrix, but at least it'll be better than their previous 2nd party publisher relation had been (which didn't sound like it gelled well).  :-*

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on September 20, 2013, 10:22:01 AM
Quote from: ComradeP on September 19, 2013, 11:56:26 PM
As much as I'd like to play a modern Civil War game, I just don't think AGEOD's combat system is my cup of tea. A large number of their games look interesting, but the combat system has prevented me from buying any (as well as fearing the AI might not be too great in some of them, but that's a lesser issue as it seems to work fairly well).

Ah well, back to the Union CWG 2 campaign for now.

Take a look at the first post in this thread. There is a new combat system stagy allows the player to choose a general plan based on the forces available and have some input over its execution.

Another poster asked about AI. I don't think there are very many strategic games with better AI. Not many

  I played a lot of RoP last month.  Very Good AI.  I would be playing ACW2, but I'm happy with less demanding AI (as in Rome II and ARMAIII and solitaire boardgames -- where I am the AI for both sides so to speak) for the moment.

mikeck

#79
Apparently, there is a BIG bug that needs squishing. Corps formation is not possible. Not sure if it's happening to everyone but it is happening to many. Into September 1862 and can't do it. Should be fixed in a patch but not much point playing until then
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

I was considering picking this up today since I can't get steel beasts running, but if there are issues, guess that is not an option....not a good weekend for newly released stuff for me:(

panzerde

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 11:09:52 AM
I was considering picking this up today since I can't get steel beasts running, but if there are issues, guess that is not an option....not a good weekend for newly released stuff for me:(

Me either. Everything I thought I might be playing this weekend sounds like it has problems and/or wasn't ready to be released.  I'm particularly disappointed about ACW2 and Steel Beasts Pro.

Back to Command Ops and Hegemony Gold.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

Now that it has been out awhile and even the first major beta patch is out, anybody have further feedback?

As usual, my impulses are saying to buy it, but since I bought Command this weekend, being a little more careful, at least for a couple of days:)  I purchased the first version but really never got into it, although the Civil War period is one of my favorite times....just not sure I devoted enough time to learn all the detail.

Tuna

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2013, 09:39:48 AM
Now that it has been out awhile and even the first major beta patch is out, anybody have further feedback?

As usual, my impulses are saying to buy it, but since I bought Command this weekend, being a little more careful, at least for a couple of days:)  I purchased the first version but really never got into it, although the Civil War period is one of my favorite times....just not sure I devoted enough time to learn all the detail.

I don't know who similar the two games are, but this guy's Let's Play video (I've posted before) was very good for the first one!


mikeck

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2013, 09:39:48 AM
Now that it has been out awhile and even the first major beta patch is out, anybody have further feedback?

As usual, my impulses are saying to buy it, but since I bought Command this weekend, being a little more careful, at least for a couple of days:)  I purchased the first version but really never got into it, although the Civil War period is one of my favorite times....just not sure I devoted enough time to learn all the detail.

It's fantastic. It now incorporated the regional decision cards of AJE and a battle planner which add even more control and management.
Even though there is "more to do" things are more streamlined. I also turn on "auto replacements" so I don't have to screw with that
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Tuna on September 29, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2013, 09:39:48 AM
Now that it has been out awhile and even the first major beta patch is out, anybody have further feedback?

As usual, my impulses are saying to buy it, but since I bought Command this weekend, being a little more careful, at least for a couple of days:)  I purchased the first version but really never got into it, although the Civil War period is one of my favorite times....just not sure I devoted enough time to learn all the detail.

I don't know who similar the two games are, but this guy's Let's Play video (I've posted before) was very good for the first one!



Army movement and management are the same as is supply. However, 2 adds regional decision and national decisions. With each big release (RUS, ROP, PON, AJE) new features were added. So the engine has truly evolved. I think your better off watching a "let's play" of AJE if you are looking for help in Civil war 2 as opposed to ACW1 videos
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Why do all these recent releases have to be so good to everyone:)  Would save me some money if they weren't....finger now hovering over the buy button.....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on September 29, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2013, 09:39:48 AM
Now that it has been out awhile and even the first major beta patch is out, anybody have further feedback?

As usual, my impulses are saying to buy it, but since I bought Command this weekend, being a little more careful, at least for a couple of days:)  I purchased the first version but really never got into it, although the Civil War period is one of my favorite times....just not sure I devoted enough time to learn all the detail.

I don't know who similar the two games are, but this guy's Let's Play video (I've posted before) was very good for the first one!



Thanks Tuna, that was a good intro video...now have to search for more that talk about army organization and all that crazy stuff....

mikeck

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2013, 10:35:51 AM
Why do all these recent releases have to be so good to everyone:)  Would save me some money if they weren't....finger now hovering over the buy button.....

Well I am loving Rome, Civil war 2 and command...but I am easy to please. I expect AGEOD games and command to have realism and good AI. I don't really expect Rome to have that..only passable AI and fun battles. Still, if you want operational/strategic civil war goodness, you won't be disappointed (so long as you enjoy AGEOD games in general)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Steelgrave

^Have you run into the Corp bug? I bought the game right before the bug was announced and haven't bothered to do more than run through the tutorials so far. I'm itching to play, but until the bug is fixed it seems pointless  :P

What's your experience been so far?