Pirates!....in SPAAAAAAAACE

Started by republic, September 20, 2013, 08:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

There has been mentioning of Starsector (Formerly known as Starfarer) around here but I finally bought it and WOW!  It is like the old Sid Meyer's Pirates! in space.  I heartily recommend it.  It is still only on version 0.6 but its a lot of fun.

It is surprisingly complex.  I saved up a bit of cash taking out pirates and thought "I'll buy a destroyer!"  Even though I could afford a cruiser I thought I'd go cheap.  Wow...I was mistaken.  You buy the detroyer hull but then have to pay to fit it out...then hire crew...then feed that crew and fuel that massive beast.

As my ship drifted through space and my crew began to contemplate cannibalism...I couldn't help but grin at the machinations behind the game.

Linky:  http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Nefaro

I check in to see if there's a new update every once in awhile.  Development is going sloowwwww.

It'll be fun when they finally get all the sandbox campaign stuff in.  But much of the updates have been balancing, re-balancing, and balancing some more on the weapon systems and such for awhile now. 

Does it still only have the one star system to fly around in?  I think it's had just that one for about a year and a half.  I'll be happy when they settle on a solid combat system and get the rest of the career/campaign stuff filled out.  :)

republic

You can go to multiple systems now as of the most recent patch this month.  There's definitely over $10 worth of game to be played.  It is already more game than Star Drive, in my opinion.

ross_ntu

Lol - I bought this ages ago, downloaded it and then kind of forgot about it.  I didn't realise it had changed names - the icon on my desktop still says Starfarer!  I will have to update it and give it a go now it sounds like the gameplay has moved on.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 08:57:44 PM
I check in to see if there's a new update every once in awhile.  Development is going sloowwwww.

It'll be fun when they finally get all the sandbox campaign stuff in.  But much of the updates have been balancing, re-balancing, and balancing some more on the weapon systems and such for awhile now. 

Yes, exactly this.  I bought it a long time ago, had a look at the combat, then shelved it until the freeform campaign was introduced.  I'm still waiting.  I can't believe how slow the development is.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 21, 2013, 03:20:07 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 08:57:44 PM
I check in to see if there's a new update every once in awhile.  Development is going sloowwwww.

It'll be fun when they finally get all the sandbox campaign stuff in.  But much of the updates have been balancing, re-balancing, and balancing some more on the weapon systems and such for awhile now. 

Yes, exactly this.  I bought it a long time ago, had a look at the combat, then shelved it until the freeform campaign was introduced.  I'm still waiting.  I can't believe how slow the development is.

Is it about.....

Pirates?

Huw the Poo

Haha, I can't even remember.  I think piracy is one career you can choose.

GJK

#7
I'd say it's been in development for a while....down at the bottom of the home page it says "join us on our IRC channel".  IRC?  Has anybody IRC'd since 2000?  I remember having "mIRC" with all kinds of scripts and automated this and that.  It was like a lonely bar on a deserted highway full of guys that have been driving all day long from all parts of the country.  One girl walks in to the joint and she would own that place.  Silly times.

At any rate, this seems interesting - my son (loves space and is a Kerbelholic) might like this one.  Might be a good way to get him in to some RPG style games.  The graphics seem a bit cartoony to me but it's only an alpha/early beta build so gotta be lax there a bit I suppose.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

republic

It is a great deal of fun.  If they ever add any sort of commodities to transport and some way to influence the politics...it could be a blast.

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on September 21, 2013, 10:00:25 AM
It is a great deal of fun.  If they ever add any sort of commodities to transport and some way to influence the politics...it could be a blast.

I think the big focus is on the fleet combat, but perhaps some extra stuff like that will eventually be looked at.  I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, or even in the original release however.  Been quite slow just getting the combat mechanics worked up (and re-worked and re-worked).

Jarhead0331

I've had a great deal of difficulty coming to terms with the controls.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

Quote from: GJK on September 21, 2013, 08:21:57 AM
Has anybody IRC'd since 2000?

Yep!  I'm a Linux user - we use IRC all the time. :)

Toonces

Quote from: GJK on September 21, 2013, 08:21:57 AM
  I remember having "mIRC" with all kinds of scripts and automated this and that.  It was like a lonely bar on a deserted highway full of guys that have been driving all day long from all parts of the country.  One girl walks in to the joint and she would own that place.  Silly times.

LOL!  ^ This +1!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

republic

I must confess...I used to be a chatroom admin.  I remember invoking commands to play sound effects all the time.  They'd have to download and much to my horror I discovered hundreds of megs taken up by those sound effects!  My little 540mb hard drive was stuffed!

RooksBailey

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 21, 2013, 03:20:07 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 08:57:44 PM
I check in to see if there's a new update every once in awhile.  Development is going sloowwwww.

It'll be fun when they finally get all the sandbox campaign stuff in.  But much of the updates have been balancing, re-balancing, and balancing some more on the weapon systems and such for awhile now. 

Yes, exactly this.  I bought it a long time ago, had a look at the combat, then shelved it until the freeform campaign was introduced.  I'm still waiting.  I can't believe how slow the development is.

Same with me!  :D  Bought in a while back and I am still waiting for v.1.0.  Like everybody else around here, I think the game has tremendous potential.  I just hope it gets completed before we all move on from PCs to holographic brain chips.  :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway