Game storage

Started by DicedT, September 22, 2013, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I'm getting magazine games now, plus I've got older games in manila envelopes. Thinking of storing them in plastic zip-locs. Just have to figure out the best size. I'm thinking that either 9 x 12 (http://www.amazon.com/Mil-Clear-Lock-Bags-Pack/dp/B003ZZUJT4) or 10 x 13 should be big enough to store most games.

Michael

GJK

I used plastic bags for all of my counters back in the 80's with all of my old AH games.  Ziplock bags worked ok but you either had several bags or one or two bags all mixed with lots of counters.  You'd pour them out in to the game box lid and start sorting.  Ugh, that was the old days.

Now a days, I store all of the counters for my favorite games in Plano 3601's (thin latched) storage units.  I like the thin units (3600 series) because it's easier to dig counters out of the bins.  The con's: it probably won't fit in the box that the game came in...if that matters to you.  Otherwise, the pro's outweigh that con: durable storage that is environment safe (water, humidity, etc) and it allows you to sort counters for easy retrieval for game play. 

You have to detach the dividers and insert them in to the holders.  That gives you flexibility on how large or small each storage container is.  I use a dab of super glue to secure the divider in place.  That prevents "counter crawl" from one area to the next. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

As posted in the "What's on your gaming table now?", in case you missed it:

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I'm a big fan of the little bead bags that are about 2"x3".  You can get a pack 100 for about $2.50 at your local craft store (Michael's / AC Moore / etc)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Gary, where do you get the rubber matting you put in the top of the lids? Also, do you have a good online source for the trays (read- cheap) that you can recommend?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

I get the Plano's at my local Academy sporting goods store.  $7 ea I think.  One large one will hold all the pieces for most games.  Nope, $6 ea:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-174-prolatch-8482-stowaway-3620-tackle-box/pid-12167?N=272574547&Ntt=plano&Ntk=All

The lids secure strongly with the latch so you don't have to worry about that accident waiting to happen....

The black mat is a simple drawer or shelf liner that I pick up at a grocery store.  It's soft rubber.  Cut to size and stuck on with a little bit of spray adhesive.  That prevents counter crawl over the tops of the dividers. 

So literally, I have no worries about the thing falling off the table or taking a tumble (which has happened). 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on September 22, 2013, 10:24:36 AM
The black mat is a simple drawer or shelf liner that I pick up at a grocery store.  It's soft rubber.  Cut to size and stuck on with a little bit of spray adhesive.  That prevents counter crawl over the tops of the dividers. 

Ooooh.

That could work for some Star Trek minis that don't have an expensive tote right now. Thanks!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DicedT

I like counter trays, except for the fact that they take up more space. That's why I'm thinking of ziplocs.

Michael

Bison

The GMT trays work really well.  Of course the downside is they do take up box space so if you have a counter heavy game with a smaller box (I'm looking at you ASL!), they might require being stored outside of the box.

bob48

I use the GMT's trays if I can get them - and a reallly could do with a few. There is only one retailer that I know of in the UK, and he charges as much for 4 as GMT do for 10.

Looks like I will have to think about buying direct from them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

I need to buy some more myself.  I ordered 10 from NWS a few months back and I'm down to 3 and I want to further sort ASLSK and I still have Combat Commander to sort.  /sigh/  This is a never ending process.  I don't even want to get into the difficulty of sorting Panzer using trays.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on September 22, 2013, 11:52:13 AMLooks like I will have to think about buying direct from them.

or you could come to Origins next year and just take 40 of them home with you :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

I wish!

Would need a Lotto win first though :P
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

Uh oh - the baggie got a hole in it!  :)

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I hope that was a prank

I'd hate to be f'er that had to sort that stuff out!