Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week

Started by Al, September 23, 2013, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Al

Matrix is offering Battles in Normandy and Battle in Italy for $19.99 ea.  Know support for these is not around anymore but are they worth getting at this price?  The scale is right at what I like but don't know much else about them.
Al

Rayfer

I had played a demo awhile back and liked it....the demo is probably still available, it includes some extensive tutorials, it should give you an idea if you like the game.  I was just over at their site a few minutes ago and the Normandy game is still showing at $49.99. I wonder when it will show up as $19.99?

steve58

Rayfer - Prices are correct ($19.99) when you click on Buy and go to the Plimus store...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rayfer

Quote from: steve58 on September 23, 2013, 01:00:11 PM
Rayfer - Prices are correct ($19.99) when you click on Buy and go to the Plimus store...

Thanks steve58....I was checking all afternoon, didn't realize it wouldn't show on the Matrix page. Downloading it now.

Al

Quote from: Rayfer on September 23, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
I had played a demo awhile back and liked it....the demo is probably still available, it includes some extensive tutorials, it should give you an idea if you like the game.  I was just over at their site a few minutes ago and the Normandy game is still showing at $49.99. I wonder when it will show up as $19.99?

Thanks for the heads  up on the demo.  I think I'll pass.  The maps look good but everything else is a bit too much for my eyes.
Al

GDS_Starfury

those maps look like topography for blind people.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


-budd-

both are quality products. I didn't play alot of Normandy but played alot of battles in Italy. Battles in Italy has the most user made scenarios of the series. If it's your type of thing you will get your monies worth for sure at that price. give the demo a spin to be sure.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MC

I don't think my video card can run this since it only supports 281.5 trillion colors. Oh well....  ;)

Nefaro

Don't these only run at 1024x768 or lower?

I enjoyed Korsun Pocket, love the game system.  But the lower resolution could be troublesome these days.

Bison

Quote from: MC on September 24, 2013, 06:04:46 PM
I don't think my video card can run this since it only supports 281.5 trillion colors. Oh well....  ;)

Ha!

ComradeP

The DB series games are limited to a lower resolution than the one you might be using now, as Nefaro pointed out. However, I've never felt that was a problem as most of the maps are not that big to begin with.

Playing Kharkov: DotD's Across the Dnepr 2 (a remake of the expansion for Korsun Pocket), the last full game by SSG, in a higher resolution does work well.

Battles in Normandy's a good game, but I'd suggest getting some of the fan-made or revised Normandy scenarios and leaving the stock scenario alone.

Battles in Italy has the widest range of scenarios, although I am not a big fan of the stock scenarios there either due to the way the CRT's influence the fighting in Italy. In most SSG games, it is common to have a big gap between open/clear terrain and even slightly difficult terrain, which can mean enemy stacks are almost impossible to remove in some scenarios where there's no gap in unit quality between attacker and defender (as the defenders are usually Germans, the defenders will be comparable with - or better than the Allied attacker most of the time).

If you're in doubt which one to get, I'd suggest buying BiI.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45