Main Menu

Halloween Season Gaming

Started by Bison, October 09, 2013, 12:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

OK.  I need a good game to fit into my Halloween mood.  Something a little scary/haunting.  Smiting evil and all that.

Opinions?

I'm actually thinking about playing Cryostasis.

Darkspire

With stars out of five.

***** Plants Vs Zombies
****   Doom 3
***     System Shock 2
***** Amnesia: The Dark Descent
***** Fear

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


bbmike

Warlock: Master of the Arcane. It's got all sorts of monsters and even pumpkin patches!  ;D
If only the AI were scary...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

OK.  Well while Plants versus Zombies is a fun game; it's not exactly scary or haunting.  :D

Now Doom 3 is an interesting option.  I haven't played that one in a couple of years.

Gusington

Witcher 2...I am getting back into it after more than a year away. Has beasts galore, deep role play and hawt chicks.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I did play about 4 hours of the Witcher 2 and then just never fired it up again.  I'm not sure why honestly.  IIRC it mostly had to do with performance on my laptop at the time.

BanzaiCat


LongBlade

Have you played FEAR, Bison? That's a pretty good one.

Gus likes these spooky titles. If he doesn't show up soon ping him and ask him.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

.
#8
.

bob48

Its been a while since I played L4D2. Maybe time to get a Grog crew up again?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

The original FEAR is really scary.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd go with Outlast.  It's a pretty decent horror game.  I've not tried the new Amnesia game yet.  I've heard mixed things.  I know the original is kind of the gold standard of FPS horror for a lot of gamers.  I was rather down on it when it was released because of the fact that death was mostly consequence free.  If you were caught and killed by a baddie, you just respawned and continued on your merry way.  That removed much of the fear and tension for me and getting past the baddies suddenly went from being a frightening experience to just being a nuisance.

Anyway, the point is that this now seems to be the norm so I've come to accept it.  Outlast is in a similar vein.  Death is relatively free of consequences but fleeing from baddies can still be harrowing.  The game does a really good job of modelling a Parkour running style through the environment.

The pacing is much quicker than Amnesia.  The story is less about instilling a feeling of dread and creating tension by spacing out encounters and more about sudden jolts of fear and constant harassment to keep you from taking a breather.  I personally prefer the slow-burn tension type horror but Outlast does a good job with what it's trying to accomplish.  Give it a whirl!

Gusington

The original Amnesia's atmosphere is fantastically disturbing.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Also...this just in...a new version of Thief made with the Doom 3 source code is now available, called the Dark Mod...plenty of missions made by fans to come. Good timing for this time of year, and it may be a Thief 4 killer to boot.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RooksBailey

Left 4 Dead 2 is a good choice, especially if you play it solo.  The AI is particularly good, and I find playing solo makes the game scarier.

I also play XCOM: Enemy Unknown.  It can be quite creepy at times, and it fits in well with the War of the Worlds theme to Halloween.   :)

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway