Tactical, Pacific theater, WW2?

Started by Toonces, October 14, 2013, 10:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

There was a great user-made campaign for the Steel Panthers WWII version of the game playing as Japan vs the Chinese in 1937-38 I believe. Can't remember the name but it was 5 or 6 battles long and had a bunch of odd early war equiptment. The only thing about SP was the long turn times for the AI especially in large battles. If I remember correctly, SPWWII was a smaller scale version of SPWAW. It was fun to play as the Japanese against the more numerous but less skilled Chinese.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Quote from: MengJiao on October 15, 2013, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2013, 09:05:06 AM
Men of War: Assault Squad has a Pacific Theater mapset and armies. You can fight battles as Japanese, US or Common Wealth.  The OOBs are very detailed and specifically tailored as to nationality.  I love MoW: AS, but it is fast paced real-time combat, so caveat emptor.

  There's the REd Orchestra 2 supermod (something Storm?).  You can get it on Steam.  I played it a few times.  Not my cup of team.

You're thinking of Rising Storm.  I've played quite a bit of it and, in fact, it is the reason for this thread.

I play RS pretty much every weekend when I game.  It's easy to get into, quick matches, but enough depth that I feel like I get my gaming's worth.  The thing is, at some point I get kind of worn out and I want to log off multiplayer and do some single player action.  Like I'd like to be a Team Leader, but not commanding actual people but rather AI people.  Sometimes I want to stay in the FPS mode and sometimes I wish I could go to turn based mode.  This is when I start thinking about what alternatives there are to this game.

I know I can play RS with bots, but I'm looking for something a bit more tailored.

I might have to give Assault Squad a look.  That game keeps coming up so maybe it's time I add it to my collection and spend some time with it.

Of course, I could just get with the program and start liking East/West Front more, which of course opens up a plethora of gaming, much of which I already own.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

In shopping around I found that most Men of War games were a bit pricey, around 40.00 or so. Amyone see Assault Squad for less?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 17, 2013, 12:06:06 AM
Quote from: vyshka on October 16, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
Luckily a revisit to Steel Panthers is on Grigsby list of things to do. The downside is it is supposedly sometime after he finishes off the WITW/WITE series.

How old is Gary? This seems like a potential Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time situation...

...if he dies then someone will finish up his work in a sufficiently awesome and satisfying fashion?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on October 18, 2013, 07:30:27 AM
In shopping around I found that most Men of War games were a bit pricey, around 40.00 or so. Amyone see Assault Squad for less?

They go on deep sales every once in a while at GG, Steam, etc. (I got mine from GG a while  back.) With holiday sales on the way, I recommend making a note and holding on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ladonis

Just a quick note for anyone wanting to buy any of the "Men of War" titles: They are currently available in the current Groupees Bundle (download only) and therefore quite cheap to get: http://groupees.com/1cmb

Toonces

Well, I'll be doggoned Ladonis.  That totally worked.  I picked up Assault Squad and Fantasy Wars for $1 and got like 6 extra games as bonuses.  Nice find!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Jesus H...and here I am in the middle of moving with less than stellar internet access. How long does the sale last?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I think it was for a couple of weeks at least.  I can grab a copy for you if you'd like.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs