Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao


W8taminute

Thanks for sharing Martok.  Add this game to my insta-effin-buy list.  I'm really considering buying the founders version so I can get my mitts on the beat when it comes out, that's how strongly I feel about this one.  I played GC1 and was entertained for a while.  I never really gave GC2 a chance and prejudged it negatively.  But this version looks like it's a must have game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2013, 01:28:40 PM
A little surprised about the thrilled response to this one.  The Gal Civ games were "ok" I suppose.  The cutesy graphics and humorous dialogue/text was a real turn off to me.  The games had their moments, but I think the genre has surpassed them by leaps and bounds.  It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the new title can add to the crowded environment.

The trailer does look good though and appears to be taking a step away from the comical leanings of its predecessor.

I couldn't get into them all that much either.  They were too simplistic for my tastes.  I see people saying the same thing about Endless Space, but the latter has more of nearly everything.  We won't even mention Distant Worlds in such a comparison.  ;)

Huw the Poo


Martok

Quote from: Darkspire on October 16, 2013, 12:54:53 PM
The lore has been updated:

http://www.galciv3.com/databanks/our-story

Darkspire
Thanks for the link Darkspire!  While most of it I knew already, I did learn a few more details of which I was previously unaware.  :) 




Quote from: W8taminute on October 16, 2013, 01:21:44 PM
Thanks for sharing Martok.  Add this game to my insta-effin-buy list.  I'm really considering buying the founders version so I can get my mitts on the beat when it comes out, that's how strongly I feel about this one. 
You're welcome!  I'm thinking about getting the Founders version as well, if only to ensure I get all future expansions/DLC.  I'd like to hear/see a little more in the way of the game's details, however, before I pull the trigger. 



Quote from: W8taminute on October 16, 2013, 01:21:44 PM
I played GC1 and was entertained for a while.  I never really gave GC2 a chance and prejudged it negatively.  But this version looks like it's a must have game.
To be fair, GalCiv2 does have its drawbacks (a couple of which Jarhead has pointed out).  I like the game quite a bit, but there are aspects of it I (and others, of course) am/are not fond of as well. 




Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2013, 02:27:38 PM
Indeed.  Distant Worlds sucks. :D
Burn the heretic!  :P 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Darkspire

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2013, 02:27:38 PM
Indeed.  Distant Worlds sucks. :D

.... Many hours of your existence into a black hole never to be seen again leaving you totally unaware of the timeslip  ;D

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2013, 02:20:39 PM
^This.

I understand the developer's need to get people all geeked out over this, with the cinematic trailer that has epic music and action and explosions and hints of some human crusade to commit some serious genocidin', but these kinds of trailers annoy me more than get me interested. I want to see gameplay, interface, GUI, that sort of thing, not pretty flashing lights and vague wink-wink-say-no-more dialogue.

Don't get me wrong - I have the GC II Ultimate Edition, and it's a fun play. If III is any good (and we get an actual trailer that actually shows the game itself), I might get it too. I just want info, dammit!
Completely agree. The trailer told me NOTHING about the actual gameplay. That said I love GalCiv and this will be an instant purchase.
Thanks for posting Martok!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2013, 01:28:40 PM
A little surprised about the thrilled response to this one.  The Gal Civ games were "ok" I suppose.  The cutesy graphics and humorous dialogue/text was a real turn off to me.

Such a Parade Rainer!  :P

I actually love the GalCiv series, better than the last few Civs and better than any other recent Space 4X. Yes, the graphics could be cutsey (although I totally ignored the Hamster race) but it also had a hard, dark edge to it. Remember that the Drengin race had a enslavement building! What I loved was the very tactical nature of the game (being able to go for certain passive bonuses to really seek a particular victory path). I also loved the lego ship customization.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

BanzaiCat

GC2 crashes a lot on my PC, but usually not until later in the game. I get into it and then thump, desktop. Did I save my games? Why no, no I did not, usually. :(

FarAway Sooner

At the risk of being a killjoy, I will post one tidbit from the FAQ at http://www.galciv3.com/game/faq:

QuoteQ: What are the requirements to run Galactic Civilizations III?
A: It will require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 along with a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card. There will be no 32-bit version. Most PC gamers in 2013 have this kind of hardware, and it allows us to create the best game possible for the majority of our customers.

Q: Why are you requiring 64-bit?
A: We want Galactic Civilizations III, and future expansions, to be able to handle extremely large galaxies with a very high resolution graphics and large data sets for the computer AI to make use of. It allows us to design the best game possible without being constrained by the limitations of older hardware.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not running 64-bit at this point in time and am not that eager to upgrade to Win7.  Maybe by 2015 when the game hits the market, though...

Arctic Blast

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 16, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
At the risk of being a killjoy, I will post one tidbit from the FAQ at http://www.galciv3.com/game/faq:

QuoteQ: What are the requirements to run Galactic Civilizations III?
A: It will require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 along with a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card. There will be no 32-bit version. Most PC gamers in 2013 have this kind of hardware, and it allows us to create the best game possible for the majority of our customers.

Q: Why are you requiring 64-bit?
A: We want Galactic Civilizations III, and future expansions, to be able to handle extremely large galaxies with a very high resolution graphics and large data sets for the computer AI to make use of. It allows us to design the best game possible without being constrained by the limitations of older hardware.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not running 64-bit at this point in time and am not that eager to upgrade to Win7.  Maybe by 2015 when the game hits the market, though...

I'd imagine this is a path that will be increasingly walked. Actually, BF4 has the same requirements. 64 Bit means a lot more memory to work with. DX10 pretty much locks out older, increasingly antique graphics cards from needing to be worried about. Makes sense from a dev point of view.

Martok

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 16, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
At the risk of being a killjoy, I will post one tidbit from the FAQ at http://www.galciv3.com/game/faq:

QuoteQ: What are the requirements to run Galactic Civilizations III?
A: It will require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 along with a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card. There will be no 32-bit version. Most PC gamers in 2013 have this kind of hardware, and it allows us to create the best game possible for the majority of our customers.

Q: Why are you requiring 64-bit?
A: We want Galactic Civilizations III, and future expansions, to be able to handle extremely large galaxies with a very high resolution graphics and large data sets for the computer AI to make use of. It allows us to design the best game possible without being constrained by the limitations of older hardware.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not running 64-bit at this point in time and am not that eager to upgrade to Win7.  Maybe by 2015 when the game hits the market, though...
I saw that, but was not surprised:  Brad had stated a few years back that whenever he got around to making GalCiv3, that it would almost certainly be 64-bit, for the reasons mentioned above. 

Also, I agree with Arctic Blast:  It's only a matter of time before most -- if not all -- mainstream PC games are developed as 64-bit only.  For better or worse, that's where the industry is headed. 


Of course, it's easy for me to be philosophical about all this, as my computer's hard drive is divided between XP and Win7, so I get the best of both worlds.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Quote from: Martok on October 17, 2013, 01:33:29 AM
Of course, it's easy for me to be philosophical about all this, as my computer's hard drive is divided between XP and Win7, so I get the best of both worlds.  ;D

Hard core yo!

Martok

^  I had to get a buddy of mine to set that up for me, but it was worth it.  Now I can play both my newer *and* older games without issue.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on October 17, 2013, 09:10:47 AM
^  I had to get a buddy of mine to set that up for me, but it was worth it.  Now I can play both my newer *and* older games without issue.  8)
Lucky one...i wish i had that kind of buddy...