Things warming up on Indo-Paki. Border

Started by Windigo, October 19, 2013, 09:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Windigo

Quote from: Martok on October 19, 2013, 10:09:51 AM
Oh goody.  Just what we needed.  :-\

they'll behave... they both have nukes

LongBlade

Good find, Windy.

You're right about them behaving too.

The question is why stir things up if you know how they'll end?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

There undoubtedly a number of factions within both the Pakistani Military and intelligence services. Some of those factions probably stand to gain in some way every time there is some kind of flareup, possibly even at the expense of another faction. For the instigator du jure the risk of provoking a wider war may simply be the lighter of two pans in the balancing scale that is their gambler's perception.

Then, some secret orders to a local commander or a false pretext and voila!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Con

Quote from: LongBlade on October 19, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
Good find, Windy.

Is that refering to Pakistan or Obamacare fight......  :D

besilarius

One possible appeal to the Paki generals, is that america is pulling back from the amount of support we have given in the past.
Facing a shortfall in their "retirement plans", they could be courting the other wannabe big dog in the area, China.  China has built up and developed their side of the border with India, and are encroaching into Indian land.  Developing good relations with China, against Indian, might be a goal of the generals.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

I hadn't thought of the China angle. Thanks.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on October 19, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
Good find, Windy.

boys will be boys - until the nukes get primed?

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2013, 07:21:50 PM
You can game it

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1618

Thanks Bayo. Its an area of conflict that holds some interest for me.
I met more than a couple of vets from both sides of the various skirmishes they've had, also some Ghurkas and some Tamil Tigers... they have that same look and feel (vibe) around themselves - unlike say the old white Rhodesians I met who were less tightly wound. Could be an over generalization with a small sample size, but you know, just picking up what they were laying down... (legion halls up here are great, live entertainment, cheap liquor)

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2013, 11:42:03 AM
There undoubtedly a number of factions within both the Pakistani Military and intelligence services. Some of those factions probably stand to gain in some way every time there is some kind of flareup, possibly even at the expense of another faction. For the instigator du jure the risk of provoking a wider war may simply be the lighter of two pans in the balancing scale that is their gambler's perception.

Then, some secret orders to a local commander or a false pretext and voila!

There is nothing in the story, apart from the headline, clearly stating that any regular Pakistani Army units were involved in the skirmish.  We may assume it, but there was no direct claim.

I found this to be interesting:

Two BSF personnel were injured and one infiltrator was killed as the Indian Army foiled multiple infiltrations bids through the night.

So there was cover fire and attempts to infiltrate Indian territory.  Could have been terrorist paramilitary, perhaps the Pakistani Army looked the other way, or perhaps regular Army units were ordered to test Indian defenses.  That said, none of these scenarios are good!

In reading other sources, the Pakistani Army was given direct blame for the ceasefire violations.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-omar-abdullah-says-pakistan-ceasefire-violations-deserve-befitting-response-1906674

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Explore-other-options-if-ceasefire-violations-by-Pakistan-continue-Omar-says/articleshow/24472060.cms

Apparently, there have been 136 cease-fire violations so far in 2013!!  :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_India%E2%80%93Pakistan_border_skirmishes

Interestingly, the largest stretch of the Kashmir border seems to be with China.

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2013, 07:21:50 PM
You can game it

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1618

Anyone have experience with DG's Folio Series? I'm curious about some of the modern games, but I've never quite been able to pull the trigger on one.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

they're updates to the old quad-series rules.

The Modern Battles quads are still some of my all-time favorites.  The core system underneath the modern games is pretty sound, as it's based on the old ModQuads, but the I can't speak to the chrome bolted on top of them in the reboot.

I did play - and very much enjoy - the Angola game from S&T back in '07 or so ( http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23378/cold-war-battles-budapest-56-angola-87 ) and it uses a very similar rules set.  That particular game has some peculiar stacking limits to mimic supply challenges in Africa, but they seemed to mesh well with the situation.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant