Buzz Aldrin's Space Manager

Started by Tpek, October 29, 2013, 11:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1268/Buzz.Aldrins.Space.Program.Manager:.Early.Access.Released!

Those of you who hate Steam's Early Access program are now going to have a fit.
Matrix have gone into it as well :P

And Space Manager is their first such product.

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the heads up

Toying - toying with the idea of getting this.

I haven't done anything in the way of space flight/development in gaming though so I have no idea if this would be up my street or not. Sounds more like work than game.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

tgb

I'm a little disappointed to learn that it shipped without the campaign.  I'll end up getting it anyway, but hopefully it's not too far off.

MikeGER

#3
When i read ' Early Access program', i thought you manage the V2 development programm, has your W. von Braun like character survive the uncertainties of dealing with  different rivaling Nazi organisations and the war and bring him to White Sands ;-)  ...the preludium to BASPM  ;D

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on October 29, 2013, 01:39:05 PM
I'm a little disappointed to learn that it shipped without the campaign.  I'll end up getting it anyway, but hopefully it's not too far off.

It is getting a campaign in the official release, isn't it?  I mean.. that's the whole point, right?

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2013, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 29, 2013, 01:39:05 PM
I'm a little disappointed to learn that it shipped without the campaign.  I'll end up getting it anyway, but hopefully it's not too far off.

It is getting a campaign in the official release, isn't it?  I mean.. that's the whole point, right?

Yes, there will be a campaign coming.  In fact, since there is no "race" with the other side of the Iron Curtain, you can lose the campaign by not hitting certain milestones by a particular date.

mikeck

Think I will stick with my kerbals for now...I mean, it's the same thing pretty much right?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

ComradeP

Hmm, right after I posted that I don't really see the PC gaming market as declining in quality, I read Matrix has also hopped on the early access bandwagon. Maybe there is a storm coming after all.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

#9
I'm not sure I mind the "early access" offer for people. It's difficult for me to see, in it's current implementation, many "wrongs".

Pros (from the developer/publisher perspective)
1. They get a huge pool of beta feedback
2. They get money up front
3. They get the minimum number of sales and the potential to see "anything else is gravy" - without this they are speculating on how many copies they will sell
4. People who want to buy into beta testing can buy - people who don't, don't have to - it's an option

Cons (from the public perspective)
1. If the price you pay for the BETA access is the same price you would pay for the full game on release, then that is wrong wrong and WRONG. OK - so you get early access to the game, but they should at least give something back as you are testing for them
2. Where No4 comes into being a bad is where (like CoD and BF4 beta access) you get an early start to your online persona - though I think BF4 has addressed that by saying everyone's online account will be cleared on game release
3. You are paying to BETA test a game - but then, if you don't want to play to beta test, then you don't have to. Hard to see this as a "bad"

The only real issue I have with it is number 1. 2 and 3 aren't really a big deal. 2 has/is being addressed and 3 is a choice.

Basically I see it as moving away from beta access. But that's ok with me really. BETA testing isn't something to be taken lightly - and if you pay for the game, you are going to WANT to find things to break so they don't stay I your "paid for" game.

I would like to see "cheap" BETA access - in other words informing the paying public that game X will be released at £29.99 but beta access starts immediately at the reduced price of £19.99.

As this is a Matrix game and as "price" is mentioned here - I still don't get the ridiculous decision for Matrix to NOT release the price until D-Day. Not only does it not allow gamers to budget should they need to, not only does it mar release day of a new game, not only does it spring it on an unsuspecting public but it just causes uproar on the forums on release. Often you can't see the wood for the trees when looking for info.

It's not totally clear if the payment for the "early access program" is what you will pay when it's released or whether there will be a change in price. My reading was that the displayed price is what you will pay on release - but it doesn't "specifically" say that. Of course, if that's the case, then they are charging full price for a product that you are beta testing - and that is a bad thing imo.

I think overall it helps the developer more than hinders gamers though.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

The following is the description they provide for the early access benefits....seems like they are pretty clear about price of product in early access versus upon release.


"From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go". From the movie Apollo 13.

Today is a great day for anyone interested in Space and its exploration: we, along with Polar Motion, are releasing the Early Access Program of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager!

The Early Access Program allows you to get your hands on the game before release. When you buy it, you'll get a download link and you'll be able to get the game and play it immediately. However, this is not a complete game. This game is still in development and we want your help to make it the best it can be. By joining the Early Access Program you will become part of the team and help guide the future development with your ideas and feedback.

You can get more information on the Early Access Program on the BASPM Early Access Page.



We are offering 3 Tiers in the Early Access Program:

○ Mercury Tier - $19.99 for the digital version of the beta supplied immediately and updated throughout, beta forum access to report issues and discuss the game with the dev team and other early adopters and your name in the beta tester credits. The normal price for this is $29.99.

○ Gemini Tier - $34.99 includes everything in the Mercury Tier plus a boxed copy of the game at final release (usually $44.99) which includes a personalized disk with your name and serial number plus a full colour manual/art book with a collection of gorgeous renders for the game.

○ Apollo Tier - $99.99 includes everything in the Gemini Tier plus your name and photo in the game as one of the SET personnel, a flight controller or an astronaut and the game sound track in MP3 format. Instead of a beta tester credit you will be listed as a contributor. For more information on getting your photo in the game please go here. This option will not be available post release.


Get more information about Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager on its official game page.

JudgeDredd

#11
Well in that case you aren't getting a discounted price for early access?

That's exactly the kind of "early access" I mentioned in the other thread I'm not a fan of. I think if they are going to want me to test a product and get me to buy it, I don't mind that idea - so long as it's at a discounted price.


All wrong above - as GR pointed out in his thread and I clearly didn't read properly, early access is cheaper!

But - as I said in the "other thread" re Evolution of Games - it's a choice at least. People who want to pay can do so. People who don't don't have to and can wait for everything to be fixed.

Personally the only early access beta games I will buy into are if they are cheaper and if they are of interest to me.

But as I said - I don't mind the model. I think ti gives the company an idea of interest and gets money in the door to help fund development if required.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

#12
The whole tier system almost sounds like Kickstarter in disguise, where you get all kinds of stuff you may or may not want if you want to pay an X amount of money.

I have beta tested, and am still testing, a number of major wargames, and I can't quite subscribe to the idea that I should pay the developers to be able to take part in a beta test. Not only would they require a certain amount of my time, but also my money. Having to pay someone to go bug hunting is not appealing.

For more casual games, I might agree to that, but not for something as complex as many modern wargames.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this. This also feeds the criticism that since Slitherine got involved, Matrix invests less time in complete releases of quality wargames, and more on games in the mobile market and in this case: a sales strategy that you might expect from a small studio but not from a developer with a contract with a publisher like Matrix.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

But either it will fail or succeed.

If it succeeds, you will not be beta testing games in the future and other people who buy into it will. If it fails, then you will still be beta testing for free.

An "in between" is discounting the game to beta test it. I do think it's a damn cheek charging full price to allow people to beta test...but as I said, it's a choice.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 30, 2013, 05:44:02 AM
But either it will fail or succeed.

If it succeeds, you will not be beta testing games in the future and other people who buy into it will. If it fails, then you will still be beta testing for free.

An "in between" is discounting the game to beta test it. I do think it's a damn cheek charging full price to allow people to beta test...but as I said, it's a choice.

or go planetary annihilations route and charge £70 for alpha and now £40 for beta  ???