Clockwork Empires Steampunk game laden with WTF?

Started by undercovergeek, October 31, 2013, 05:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I do so hope this game is not going to be on Steam.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2014, 05:18:47 PM
I do so hope this game is not going to be on Steam.

you still having steam problems?

Staggerwing

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 25, 2014, 06:26:11 PM
Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2014, 05:18:47 PM
I do so hope this game is not going to be on Steam.

you still having steam problems?

He's pro'lly getting steamed up about it too.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 25, 2014, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 25, 2014, 06:26:11 PM
Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2014, 05:18:47 PM
I do so hope this game is not going to be on Steam.

you still having steam problems?

He's pro'lly getting steamed up about it too.

He needs to blow some Steam. 

Not sure if they'd take him up on it, however.

bob48

I've just had so many problems with Steam recently that I don't bother with it. I only have a few games anyway, and most of them I can play in off-line mode. I have made up my mind, if possible, never to buy another game that has to rely on Steam.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!


Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 17, 2014, 05:47:43 AM
R' ye gettin' it, guv?

It's not often I say this but I'm ok for games.... I'm happy with what I'm playing and have other stuff in the pipeline.... I'll watch but I'm not in yet

steve58

I've been watching this one for the last year (or two?) and was looking forward to it, but I think I'm gonna have to hold off for a couple of reasons.  Not happy with $30 price tag for an early, early access game and the minimum requirements might also put it out of my reach for now.  The min specs call for an i5 and I've got a Core2Quad 2.66GHz, so I'll still be watching and waiting... :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Bletchley_Geek

#43
I got this one over the weekend, and could devote something like one hour to it.

I liked a lot what I saw, but it's clearly work in progress - so not the best value for money right now. I could appreciate that the systems in it are as deep and complex as advertised, and I could also see the precursor of a strong AI driving your colonists (even with some blatant bugs/glitches, like them ignoring the accommodation I had built  and  sleeping instead in the cold damp ground).

My favorite moment was when I got to see my colonists repelling an incursion of fish people and then cutting their corpses for meat (I was trying to figure out how to kickstart food production, and they were hungry). This in particular highlights the AI as I perceive it to be the result of something like this:

1) Food levels in the stockpile are low, goal for idle colonists (the soldiers in this particular example) is set to bring up food levels
2) Options to achieve that goal were - from what I could work out from the interface - gather berries/mushrooms in the forest, slaughter fish people corpses
3) The AI evaluates its options and sees that the fish people corpses are closer to the stockpile than the berries/mushrooms
4) The AI commits to the fish people option, and a colonist executes a series of tasks (represented by the animation the character is playing) to gather food - pick up tool (knife), go to corpse, slaughter corpse, pick up meat, go to stockpile, etc.

I didn't see them hunting any wildlife, I am not sure that was because they were being thrifty about their firearms or because the AI has still to be programmed to consider that as an option.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 21, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
I didn't see them hunting any wildlife, I am not sure that was because they were being thrifty about their firearms or because the AI has still to be programmed to consider that as an option.
The work crews have the hunting option turned off by default.  IIRC, it is the second option from the right.  After I set my militia to hunt, they engaged the local wildlife. 

I played for about an hour as well and would also classify CE as a 'work in progress'.  I had some errors (resulting in a crash) related to patrol waypoints and also wasn't able to get my workshop sawing planks (despite queuing them up), I had to manually select each bundle of logs and chose the 'plank' option. 

I'm thinking I will give this one a couple weeks before experimenting again.  It has potential, but probably isn't worth the money for the 'early early access', unless you want to support the devs.