GPS Cannon

Started by LongBlade, November 22, 2013, 11:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This is pretty cool. Cops are worried that high speed chases end up getting someone hurt, and 42% of the time it's a 3rd party with nothing to do with the high speed pursuit.

So they're working on a kind of "cannon" to shoot a GPS tracking device at a fleeing vehicle which will allow them to track it without high speed pursuit. Great idea. I hope it works.

QuoteThat's why the Iowa State Patrol is now experimenting with the latest gadget aimed at reducing the number of pursuits. It's a mini air cannon that mounts on the patrol car's push bar. It fires a GPS device that's designed to stick to the back of the fleeing vehicle. The officer can then lay back at a safe speed and distance and track the suspect by satellite.

Iowa troopers have shot twice so far and are 2 for 2 with a couple arrests. The system and the company that makes it are called StarChase.

"It allows the officer to really use different tactics on what would be a traditional pursuit," says StarChase President Trevor Fischbach, "but just run it differently, lower the adrenaline, lower the risk, and it allows everybody to make better decisions, even the criminal."
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

SgtRock

More SciFi coming true, both James Bond and Ghost in the Shell had guns shooting tracking bullets. There has also been talk/work on adding a back door/secret code to car computers that would allow cars to be disabled remotely. PBS had a show on that showed a car (new standard model with on-star) being hacked through the wireless tire air pressure sensors that enable remote control of the brakes and turning on/off the engine, locking the steering. :o

MikeGER

mmh.... can be easily countered by a GPS jammer (the sticky- device cant get a fix anymore.... the emission from the the GPS sats are ultra week) and also jamming the frequency its emitting (probably just using the common cellphone networks) so it cant book-in to the net,  and so not even a triangulation from the network cell-towers is possible...  i think a police chopper, or maybe a small launchable drone plane with a videolink to the police HQ cant be shaken off...

if you want to stick something to the car, a low tech approach would be better.  why not just stick a common colored smoke grenade... it leaves a trail, gives an id for joining in police air and ground assets, and makes the driver uncomfortable when he looks in his mirrors             

LongBlade

Quote from: MikeGER on December 10, 2013, 04:02:45 AM
if you want to stick something to the car, a low tech approach would be better.  why not just stick a common colored smoke grenade... it leaves a trail, gives an id for joining in police air and ground assets, and makes the driver uncomfortable when he looks in his mirrors           

Not a bad idea. Or a big paintball.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Why not some kind of EMP harpoon? Fire it into the car's trunk or fender and after a few seconds it emits a pulse that fries the car's electronics. Admittedly, it wouldn't be helpful if the perp were fleeing in a vintage car but for newer ones it would knock them out due to ignition/fuel system shutdown.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: MikeGER on December 10, 2013, 04:02:45 AM
mmh.... can be easily countered by a GPS jammer (the sticky- device cant get a fix anymore.... the emission from the the GPS sats are ultra week) and also jamming the frequency its emitting (probably just using the common cellphone networks) so it cant book-in to the net,  and so not even a triangulation from the network cell-towers is possible...  i think a police chopper, or maybe a small launchable drone plane with a videolink to the police HQ cant be shaken off...   

then you have ECCM :)  you can fix the target by triangulating the center of the white noise.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.