Histwar: LG becomes Histwar Napoleon

Started by undercovergeek, December 04, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 07, 2013, 06:17:33 PM
The piece on chelcos blog is great

Agreed....part of the reason I took the plunge.  Graphics looked much improved and I saw the screenshot of the new UI planned for next release, these were big deciding factors.  Also looks like in that next release we will see some improved AI at the lower command levels.  The game is a bit cheaper before xmas, so thought I should get in now, save a few bucks:)

mikeck

I think I'm going to get it....but I wonder why there are no Prussians? I do t know a lot about the  Napoleonic wars but weren't the Prussians involved in many of the battles? I get Austria, just wonder why the inclusion of Russia and not Prussia?

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

magnus

 There was a good amount of modding and scenarios done for the older game by players, so one hopes that it would continue with the new one.

Remember this is the base game and there will be updates to it throughout the year.

I wouldn't normally stick my neck out, but going by the older game JMM does put out updates.

Graphically it is beautiful, I haven't done it yet but there are tweaks posted for Nvidia and Radeon cards. On my computer it is a little too dark, but seeing the screenshots I know I can work with it.

Right now the AI comes up with a plan of it's own. It is scheduled for you to be able to give the AI instructions so you could refight Borodino with the Russians staying put.


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: magnus on December 07, 2013, 08:16:29 PM
  Graphically it is beautiful, I haven't done it yet but there are tweaks posted for Nvidia and Radeon cards. On my computer it is a little too dark, but seeing the screenshots I know I can work with it.

Can you post a link to the Radeon tweaks?

magnus

#49
 Here you go.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,7638.0.html

I often wonder how I was able to pass classes in both French and Spanish. I believe if let on my own I would just be able to find the correct bathroom in each country.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: magnus on December 07, 2013, 08:39:40 PM
Here you go.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,7638.0.html

I often wonder how I was able to pass classes in both French and Spanish. I believe if let on my own I would just be able to find the correct bathroom in each country.

Thank you...looks like most of that config items is for NVidia, but I did try the few things mentioned for Radeon, not much of a difference.  Although the graphics are a ton better than the prior version, mine are a little dark/blurry.  Not showstoppers, but was thinking it would be a little crisper.  Couple of other random thoughts so far, without much time in it yet.


-  In general 3d view and symbol view much better than prior version
-  One big issue I am currently having is when using the mouse scroll button to change zoom level in the 3d view, it gets stuck and completely blurs the screen.  I have to exit the view and come back in to correct it.
-  Different font colors used for things is questionable in some spots.  For example, on the 2D map, when you draw your orders at least in the tutorials, the text is black and if you extend over other black objects like towns, you loose the information.
- Selecting units in 2d view to give orders by clicking on them sometimes tricky...takes hitting it just right to work
- They changed the orders menu from a list of text options to a bunch of graphic options...kind of liked the text options better since easier to see what you wanted
-  In a few spots, the size of the text over runs the available space to display it
-  As mentioned in a previous post, one of my concerns is having a ton of troops on small maps; not sure how tactical you can be at an army/corp level when you appear to have minimal room to maneuver
-  I attempted to load user made scenarios from the old game into the new game and seemed to work just fine....this is great since gives you more to play with....also means if you have the old game, you can load the scenarios that came with it to expand your library.

Again, way too early to draw any conclusions....I have a lot to learn and expect this game to improve over time.

Magnus/skoop, do you know of a direct email address for support issues?  I couldn't find on their web site anywhere.  I know they have the support forum to post issues, but I have already beat that horse to death by stating I don't have access yet:)

Dolan50

QuoteI think I'm going to get it....but I wonder why there are no Prussians? I do t know a lot about the  Napoleonic wars but weren't the Prussians involved in many of the battles? I get Austria, just wonder why the inclusion of Russia and not Prussia?

Prussia was a major player in the Napoleonic wars. They fought for and against Napoleon in a number of campaigns between 1805-1815.

I've been interested in this game myself for quite awhile but have yet to see enough of an improvement with the system so far to go beyond the interest stage.
Hopefully,that will change in the near future.

Most of my interest in this era stems from this gaming company(OSG) that makes some very good boardgames on this subject.
I own a few titles from this company and would like to some day use the system from Histwar to recreate some of these campaigns and battles.

Here's a link to this interesting site.
http://napoleongames.com/drupal2/about.html
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Grim.Reaper

It has been a week and multiple emails to the developer to get setup in their forum....not a single word yet.......very frustrating!  Does not appear to be an easy/quick way to communicate with the company so can't even report issues that I have seen.  Not sure how else to get their attention.  I know it is a small group, but I think waiting a week for a simple item is a little over the top.  What if I had problems with me game download or purchase?  I would be stuck waiting forever to get a response.

Haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but if this is an indication of things to come, thinking I should not have purchased it:( 

I'll try another email again.......I am hoping those that have access to the forums can continue posting in the official forums the frustration of the "outsiders"...if this is impacting me, I am sure it is also impacting other potential/new customers.

Grim.Reaper

Well, I found a way to register online...don't think it was meant to be there, but worked nonetheless:)

mikeck

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2013, 08:55:34 PM
Quote from: magnus on December 07, 2013, 08:39:40 PM
Here you go.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,7638.0.html

I often wonder how I was able to pass classes in both French and Spanish. I believe if let on my own I would just be able to find the correct bathroom in each country.

Thank you...looks like most of that config items is for NVidia, but I did try the few things mentioned for Radeon, not much of a difference.  Although the graphics are a ton better than the prior version, mine are a little dark/blurry.  Not showstoppers, but was thinking it would be a little crisper.  Couple of other random thoughts so far, without much time in it yet.


-  In general 3d view and symbol view much better than prior version
-  One big issue I am currently having is when using the mouse scroll button to change zoom level in the 3d view, it gets stuck and completely blurs the screen.  I have to exit the view and come back in to correct it.
-  Different font colors used for things is questionable in some spots.  For example, on the 2D map, when you draw your orders at least in the tutorials, the text is black and if you extend over other black objects like towns, you loose the information.
- Selecting units in 2d view to give orders by clicking on them sometimes tricky...takes hitting it just right to work
- They changed the orders menu from a list of text options to a bunch of graphic options...kind of liked the text options better since easier to see what you wanted
-  In a few spots, the size of the text over runs the available space to display it
-  As mentioned in a previous post, one of my concerns is having a ton of troops on small maps; not sure how tactical you can be at an army/corp level when you appear to have minimal room to maneuver
-  I attempted to load user made scenarios from the old game into the new game and seemed to work just fine....this is great since gives you more to play with....also means if you have the old game, you can load the scenarios that came with it to expand your library.

Again, way too early to draw any conclusions....I have a lot to learn and expect this game to improve over time.

Magnus/skoop, do you know of a direct email address for support issues?  I couldn't find on their web site anywhere.  I know they have the support forum to post issues, but I have already beat that horse to death by stating I don't have access yet:)

I thought the maps were supposed to be huge?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 09, 2013, 06:22:17 PM
It has been a week and multiple emails to the developer to get setup in their forum....not a single word yet.......very frustrating!  Does not appear to be an easy/quick way to communicate with the company so can't even report issues that I have seen.  Not sure how else to get their attention.  I know it is a small group, but I think waiting a week for a simple item is a little over the top.  What if I had problems with me game download or purchase?  I would be stuck waiting forever to get a response.

Haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but if this is an indication of things to come, thinking I should not have purchased it:( 

I'll try another email again.......I am hoping those that have access to the forums can continue posting in the official forums the frustration of the "outsiders"...if this is impacting me, I am sure it is also impacting other potential/new customers.


Dayum.  This stuff scares me even further away from it.  :-\

mikeck

I don't care about the delay to get on the forum so I may grab it anyway. I really want to play a tactical command game like scourge of war. Problem is that I have just grown tired of trying to wrestle around with the formations in Scourge. Units become so intermingled that it just becomes a big glob of units swinging back and forth. I know it's a command simulation but sometimes I NEED my troops to maintain some cohesion. Anyway

Will give this a try
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

magnus

Good, I am not the only one.

I keep playing SOW over and over expecting something different.

Then the enemy and my troops start doing a square dance that looks like it is being called by Bugs Bunny.

I just have to quit then because it is so annoying.

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2013, 07:41:34 PM
I don't care about the delay to get on the forum so I may grab it anyway. I really want to play a tactical command game like scourge of war. Problem is that I have just grown tired of trying to wrestle around with the formations in Scourge. Units become so intermingled that it just becomes a big glob of units swinging back and forth. I know it's a command simulation but sometimes I NEED my troops to maintain some cohesion. Anyway

Will give this a try

did you buy it?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2013, 07:41:34 PM
I don't care about the delay to get on the forum so I may grab it anyway. I really want to play a tactical command game like scourge of war. Problem is that I have just grown tired of trying to wrestle around with the formations in Scourge. Units become so intermingled that it just becomes a big glob of units swinging back and forth. I know it's a command simulation but sometimes I NEED my troops to maintain some cohesion. Anyway

Will give this a try

Although the delay on the forum frustrated me, my main concern was this might be an indication of the support I could expect.  But now that I am by that, I will focus on the game itself.  I can tell u the way I snuck into registering for the forum if u like:)

I am not sure I like some of the changes in the interface.  In the older version things were more textual but now things have graphics and such. Might be me just getting used to it.