Spooks in the guild? Intelligence collection and online gaming

Started by Rex Brynen, December 09, 2013, 11:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

On a more serious note, does it strike anyone else that there is an element of psychosis in these massive dragnets?

The discussion in the articles posted by Rex doesn't suggest any of these agencies ever found bad guys "hiding in plain sight," but they do place a lot of emphasis on speculating that it could be done.

There is also the suggestion that the weapons accuracy in FPS games is some kind of secret - as if without the Calls of Duty in the world no one would know effective ranges of rifles or pistols.

I dunno. This all strikes me as a huge logical error in inductive reasoning: the 9/11 hijackers played Microsoft Flight Sim, therefore anyone who plays MSFS needs to be monitored. There is nothing about that kind of thinking that seems healthy, reasonable, or compatible with a free society.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

oh, so now you think we're living in a healthy, reasonable, compatible and free society?  does your madness know no bounds sir?  next you'll be claiming Canadistanians aren't just really pale Americans!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dolan50

If your going to build a data base on the people that have the potential for being the most dangerous enemies of the state I guess wargammers would most likely be the logical place to start.

I would think the "My Little Pony" or "Farmville" crowd wouldn't be seen as much of a potential threat.
That is unless your waging a war on boredom.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

GDS_Starfury

personally Im scared shitless by GJK and his spotlight counter corner clipper!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

eyebiter

After 9/11 a faction inside the American government decided such an event would never be allowed to happen again.  And if it meant monitoring every form of communication on the planet to accomplish this goal, then so be it. 

Problem is, after throwing billions of dollars into creating this intelligence apparatus, do we feel safer?  We gave the intelligence community a blank check, and they developed the most advanced monitoring system in human history.  Are we really surprised that the system designed to track terrorists now watches everyone on the planet for potential threats?

Dolan50

Can't say I feel much safer with the NSA spying on Americans.
I personally feel more vulnerable.

Americans shouldn't be targets of interest and I'll bet if it was put to a vote most or at least a very strong majority of a Americans would vote this out.
This is a tool that only a totalitarian government could love or want.
Our elected officials seem to be the only ones interested in keeping this program funded and running.
I doubt any potential terrorist would find me a personal target of interest.
Makes you wonder who your enemies really are!

We have lots of cameras installed in the last couple years on all the major street corners where I live too.
Makes you wonder also what the Government is actually preparing itself for.

I fear driving on the US highway system more than terrorist.

My odds of being a victim of terrorism probably are about the same as winning the Florida Lottery.
With my luck they both would happen on the same day!
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

LongBlade

Quote from: eyebiter on December 10, 2013, 09:04:51 AM
After 9/11 a faction inside the American government decided such an event would never be allowed to happen again.  And if it meant monitoring every form of communication on the planet to accomplish this goal, then so be it. 

Problem is, after throwing billions of dollars into creating this intelligence apparatus, do we feel safer?  We gave the intelligence community a blank check, and they developed the most advanced monitoring system in human history.  Are we really surprised that the system designed to track terrorists now watches everyone on the planet for potential threats?

I saw a news post on that the other day.

The choice of the octopus is clever. At once it suggests the sinister menace of Cthulhu, the unlimited reach of our technology, the yummy taste of octopus as a meal, and the vulnerability of the octopus to a number of natural predators. A brilliant choice, but flawed.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 10, 2013, 08:47:30 AM
oh, so now you think we're living in a healthy, reasonable, compatible and free society?  does your madness know no bounds sir? 

I know. Call me an incurable romantic in search of the American Dream. Folks like me need to be watched closely because espousing the desire to perpetuate Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness shows just how dangerous we are.

GDS_Starfury

Dolan50

What outrages me even more is that we can throw billions of dollars at this program to spy on Americans,yet on any given night in this country we have over 50,000 veterans living homeless on the streets of this nation and who's only crime is they can't land a job.

Nice set of priorities our elected officials  have here.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 10, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
here ya go:

because Im pretty sure you lost yours.

Thanks. This time I'm going to use the Heavy Duty tinfoil. That should hold them in.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on December 10, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
Quote from: eyebiter on December 10, 2013, 09:04:51 AM

I saw a news post on that the other day.

The choice of the octopus is clever. At once it suggests the sinister menace of Cthulhu, the unlimited reach of our technology, the yummy taste of octopus as a meal, and the vulnerability of the octopus to a number of natural predators. A brilliant choice, but flawed.

You are saying Octopus Overlords is a tool of the NSA?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 10, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
here ya go:

because Im pretty sure you lost yours.

LOL, I am on conference call and I had to mute my headset... good one... (fuck you star)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on December 10, 2013, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 09, 2013, 09:53:04 PM
So what is 'Leeeeeroy Jenkins!' code for?

LOL - I thought you didn't play WoW?

He doesn't. We just gave the code word the cell has been compromised. Fall back and reorganize on the special Moonlight Online server.