Predestination -- 2nd Kickstarter for 3D ship designer

Started by Martok, December 20, 2013, 01:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

For those interested, the devs for Predestination have launched a small Kickstarter campaign with the aim of creating a more robust ship designer for the game.  The basic ship design feature is already in the game; however, the devs would like to turn it into a full 3D version if possible, and to add a few more bells & whistles. 

For anyone who might be interested in backing the game but missed out on the first KS campaign, most of the various reward levels are back (including the popular $25.00 reward level, which is a copy of the game plus all future DLC).  Right now, Predestination is on track to be released in early/mid-spring 2014. 


(I'm still not talking about this one much, as I'm still paranoid about jinxing it by doing so. ::) )







"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

A second kickstarter campaign?

What prestidigitation is this?!  :P

Anguille

Since i missed the first campaign, i may well jump on this one...thanks Martok!

steve58

I also missed the first Kickstarter and am somewhat tempted.  I think the thing holding me back is the 2D hex space combat.  They've got a 3D galaxy map and 3D ships, but 2D combat?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: steve58 on December 20, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
I also missed the first Kickstarter and am somewhat tempted.  I think the thing holding me back is the 2D hex space combat.  They've got a 3D galaxy map and 3D ships, but 2D combat?

I actually prefer 2D combat, like Master of Orion II. Why can't we have turn-based, ship-to-ship, choose your weapons combat like that anymore?

I'm tempted to get in this. But I am also worried that it is one of those interminable early access KS projects.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Swatter

Let me put on my Grinch hat- I hate 3D star maps! Why of why do people do that?

Yskonyn

Is this going to be a 3D ship designer like GalCiv 2? If so I think its not a very good idea as the AI never knows how to field or design ships a human player can.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 21, 2013, 07:01:18 AM
Is this going to be a 3D ship designer like GalCiv 2? If so I think its not a very good idea as the AI never knows how to field or design ships a human player can.
My impression is the AI should be able to handle the 3D ship designer the same as the ship design system that's already in place.  The 3D version is mostly for the benefit for us humans (by way of the "cool" factor). 

AI-designed ships maybe won't *look* as snazzy as whatever designs we come up with.  However, they shouldn't be any less effective than what they'd come up with in the existing ship design system. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 20, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
I actually prefer 2D combat, like Master of Orion II. Why can't we have turn-based, ship-to-ship, choose your weapons combat like that anymore?
I agree! And throw in a ship repair system like Great Naval Battles had and you would have awesomeness indeed!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

I prefer 2D combat, too.  Fighting 3D camera controls often detracts from the gameplay.

Tinabeans

Hey, everyone!

Thanks for sharing our Kickstarter with everyone, @Martok! I think we're safe in regards to jinxing progress by talking about it too much! ^.^

In regards to the 2D vs. 3D debate: we chose to go with 2D combat because the majority of our commenters so far have indicated a preference towards it. 3D combat can get a little confusing in terms of controls and relative orientation, so we decided to keep it 2D. The galaxy map, however, was much easier to make 3D but still easy to navigate, so we were very happy to add that in. For those who prefer 2D map navigation, we've added in the option to collapse the 3D star map into a 2D map. Our ship designer will be in 3D as well. We plan on eliminating the AI issue by having the AI ships pre-designed by humans. The AI will use the defaults supplied in the pre-existing ship menu.

About ship repairing: We love that idea, @bbmike, and it's something we want to add in with the 3D ship designer. We want to allow you to remodel and repair ships using the designer as well as just add on extra modules.

Feel free to fire any other comments or questions to me! :D

TINA LAURO
Co-Director @ Brain and Nerd

steve58

Hi Tina -- Welcome to Grogheads!  I think my fellow forumites have convinced me that 3D combat is not really a good idea, mostly because of controlling the 3D view.  I'm still not 100% sure I'll get in on the Kickstarter, but do have it flagged to watch.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tinabeans

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D Glad you have your eye on us too ^.^
TINA LAURO
Co-Director @ Brain and Nerd

Martok

Hey Tina!  Good to see you here.  I noticed you guys have already made your initial KS goal, so congratulations on that.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

son_of_montfort

The fact that the developer felt it important to send an emissary here speaks volumes to me. That pushed me over the fence to back the KS project, since I missed the first one.

How does the prospective March release date look? Will it be an "open-beta" style release or a fully-finished release?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert