Favorite Game Strategy Setting

Started by Bison, December 31, 2013, 01:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

What is your favorite game strategy setting?

I know that I go through phases, but generally I most enjoy the following settings in this order.

Space
Fantasy
Ancient
Medieval
WW2
American Civil War
Modern (Post WW2)

Now if I had to put a game with the setting it'd go something like this at least for today.  Nor are they limited to a particular level of warfare Strategic, Operational, or Tactical.

Space - Distant Worlds
Fantasy - Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Ancient - Rome 2
Medieval- Nothing there is a serious lack of games set here, but by default it'd be Medieval Total War 2
WW2 - This is a tough one.  I'd say Battle Fronts CMX2 series, Battle Academy, or Combat Ops: Battles of the Bulge. 
American Civil War - Forge of Freedom
Modern (Post WW2) - HPS Vietnam Squad Battles or CM: Shock Force/Afghanistan

Grim.Reaper

The top three are neck and neck...

Ancient
Medieval
American Civil War
WW2
Modern (Post WW2)
WW1
Napoleon
Space
Fantasy


Dolan50

WW2
American Civil War
Modern (Post WW2)
Napoleon
Medieval
Ancient
WW1
Space
Fantasy
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd go with:

WW2
Victorian era colonial conflicts
Modern/Hypothetical
Ancients
Feudal Japan
WWI (air only)
Napoleonic
ACW
Space
Fantasy
Medieval
Renaissance

Bison

I need to add in American Revolution/Early American wars.  Mostly because I do really like Birth of America 2, Campaign 1776, and French and Indian War. 

TheCommandTent

This was tougher to come up with than I originally thought.  Here is my list subject to change depending on my current gaming mood. :)

Medieval/Fantasy  (I couldn't make up my mind)
WW2
American Civil War
Ancient
Modern (Post WW2)
WW1
Space



"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

steve58

Space (seems to be my goto lately)
WW2 PTO
WW2 ETO
Modern
Fantasy
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Barthheart

WWII ETO
Modern ETO
Space
Age of Exploration
Fantasy

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on December 31, 2013, 01:05:32 PM
What is your favorite game strategy setting?

I know that I go through phases, but generally I most enjoy the following settings in this order.

Space
Fantasy
Ancient
Medieval
WW2
American Civil War
Modern (Post WW2)

Now if I had to put a game with the setting it'd go something like this at least for today.  Nor are they limited to a particular level of warfare Strategic, Operational, or Tactical.

Space - Distant Worlds
Fantasy - Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Ancient - Rome 2
Medieval- Nothing there is a serious lack of games set here, but by default it'd be Medieval Total War 2
WW2 - This is a tough one.  I'd say Battle Fronts CMX2 series, Battle Academy, or Combat Ops: Battles of the Bulge. 
American Civil War - Forge of Freedom
Modern (Post WW2) - HPS Vietnam Squad Battles or CM: Shock Force/Afghanistan

  After a few moments of reflection, I realized I don't care much for strategy.  I played WitP:AE for years -- BUT -- the whole point of it was to do something sneaky and local -- yep -- while my opponent steadily won the war, I did the sneaky and unexpected on a local scale.

   Similarly, when I think of WW2, I don't think of the hideous deaths of millions, I think of the swishing of radar antennae, the beeping of code signals, a phone call from STAVAKA, or the first flash of Trinity.

    When I think of the ancient world, I don't dwell on the trap of armies, but of the signs being read in the temples (ancestral voices propheseying war), messages on clay, the smoke of distant beacons.

    I seem to be much more at home in a flight sim or at most looking after a battalion or two in Combat Mission X.XX.

    Now, on the other hand, larger operations (not quite strategic), like running a Dark Age Kingdom (there is no such game) or a
Soviet Army in Nov 41 north of Lake Ilmein on a 40 km front (no such game), or the Expedition of Cortez (no such game), or some Tribes in the Solomons (no such game) or the Navajo (there is such a game) -- now those have some direct appeal.

GDS_Starfury

WW2 Eastern Front
Space
WW2 Med/Africa
Ancient era
Modern era Cold War / Arab - Israeli conflicts
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Dolan50

#10
QuoteSoviet Army in Nov 41 north of Lake Ilmein on a 40 km front (no such game

I haven't played this game in awhile,but I think Roads to Leningrad by GMT is close to that area and timeframe.(Summer of 41 near Soltzy and Staraya Russa just South of lake Ilmen.
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/11269/roads-to-leningrad

It's a boardgame though so that probably doesn't count.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Martok

Space: Armada 2526, Birth of the Federation, Distant Worlds

Medieval: Crusader Kings II, Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion

Ancient: Rome II Total War

Fantasy: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

Age of Exploration/Age of Imperialism:  Imperialism II   

Napoleonic Era/Victorian Age:  ??

WWII:  ??

WWI:  ?? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Quote from: Dolan50 on December 31, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
QuoteSoviet Army in Nov 41 north of Lake Ilmein on a 40 km front (no such game

I haven't played this game in awhile,but I think Roads to Leningrad by GMT is close to that area and timeframe.(Summer of 41 near Soltzy and Staraya Russa just South of lake Ilmen.
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/11269/roads-to-leningrad

It's a boardgame though so that probably doesn't count.

I'm good with board games in the mix, but then about all I own are WW2 tactical level games.   :o

MengJiao

Quote from: Dolan50 on December 31, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
QuoteSoviet Army in Nov 41 north of Lake Ilmein on a 40 km front (no such game

I haven't played this game in awhile,but I think Roads to Leningrad by GMT is close to that area and timeframe.(Summer of 41 near Soltzy and Staraya Russa just South of lake Ilmen.
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/11269/roads-to-leningrad

It's a boardgame though so that probably doesn't count.

  That's a great game!  Right scale for me.  Not very strategic.  So there is such a game and I've even played it.

Nefaro

Classical/Ancient
Age of Enlightenment/Colonialism/Empire (17th-18th centuries)
WWI
Late Cold War
Fantasy
Space
ACW
Modern
..?
WW2
?
Profit