Favorite Game Strategy Setting

Started by Bison, December 31, 2013, 01:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on December 31, 2013, 03:22:46 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on December 31, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
QuoteSoviet Army in Nov 41 north of Lake Ilmein on a 40 km front (no such game

I haven't played this game in awhile,but I think Roads to Leningrad by GMT is close to that area and timeframe.(Summer of 41 near Soltzy and Staraya Russa just South of lake Ilmen.
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/11269/roads-to-leningrad

It's a boardgame though so that probably doesn't count.

I'm good with board games in the mix, but then about all I own are WW2 tactical level games.   :o

  Well...I used to have stacks of the things, but they are mostly gone.  Only Advanced Tobruk is left in the Barn because I like the really big chunks of cardboard apparenlty.

   Tactically -- I'm going with computers as much as possible.  The big exception is naval games.  I think boardgames are still way ahead there.   Operationally, boardgames still have that to themselves really.  There's nothing like PQ-17 or even Where Eagles Dare in the computer world.

   Which is kind of odd.  Computers could obviously do operational games quite well, but of course there's not much of a public for them.

sandman2575

Great thread!  My $0.02:

1.  WW2.  By a country mile.  Probably 2/3 of my gaming collection is WW2.  Too many faves to list, but I always return to:  HoI3, Decisive Campaigns, GTOS, Company of Heroes...

2. Space.  SOTS2, Sins of a Solar Empire

3. WW1.  AGEOD WWI Gold, RoF

4. 19th Century/Napoleonics/Civil War.  Victoria 2, Forge of Freedom, AGEOD Nap's Campaigns

5. Sports.  Can I sneak this in here?  Esp. sims where you run a franchise, a la OOTP. But am having a blast with NBA 2K14 of late as well...

6. Fantasy.  Skyrim / Oblivion, Baldur's Gate 2

7. Medieval.  CK2

8. Ancient.  Hegemony

Bison

Quote from: MengJiao on December 31, 2013, 03:43:18 PM
   Which is kind of odd.  Computers could obviously do operational games quite well, but of course there's not much of a public for them.

I don't know.  Combat Ops is an extremely solid operational level wargame.

MetalDog

It used to be WWII because it was most familiar to me.  Then came Civilization.  Then Warlock.  So:

WWII
All eras
Fantasy
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Cool thread which tears at the innards of my psyche. My favorite historical setting in general is the Victorian Age and WWI, but it's hard to find really good games that keep my interest on the PC. Victoria games and other Paradox releases just don't do it for me.

Second would be fantasy/medieval. One of my favorite games of all time is Medieval 2 Total War and all its mods. Poured thousands of hours into them.

Third is ancient/classical. What is the difference between the two labels? Is there any? Rome 2 comes to mind as does Hegemony.

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

In order:

Space
Modern
Ancient
Napoleonic (18th-19th century in Europe)
ACW
Medieval
WW1
My neighbors back yard
Sewage treatment plant
Anything else
WW2
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Al

Al

W8taminute


  • WW2
  • Space
  • 1948-1973 Arab Israeli Wars
  • WW1
  • Ancients and Medieval
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

agathosdaimon

Woot, great fun question. I think one can vacillate between favorites but for me always the top are

1. Napoleonic Era
2. Cold War 1970's-80's hypothetical
3. . WW2 Eastern front
4. renaissance europe 1500's-1700's
5. ancient world
6. american civil war
7. Ww2 Pacific naval
8. Ww2 North Africa
9. Medieval
10. sci-fi
11. fantasy




Sir Slash

Anything I can win at. But really WWII, Napoleonic, Roman, then WWI or Medieval. No space or modern era games for me please. And Fantasy only tactically. Of course anything I can win at is pretty much fantasy.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

I'd go with space, first...especially 4x space games. I a game is a good high level one with lots of good researching, economic, warfare, and other factors to it, then it doesn't necessarily have to be space; it can be anything if it's engaging enough.
Next would be WW2, especially Eastern Front or late-game Götterdämmerung kind of stuff.
Modern combat, especially NATO vs. Warsaw Pact is right up there.
Also enjoy Civil War stuff. Used to be more into Napoleonics but only if the system is easy to learn and fast playing.
Then ancients, including Roman and Greek warfare and Middle Ages themes.

All are about equal at times; it just depends on my gaming mood swings.

Double Deuce

That's a hard choice but using the ones you listed I would have to go with;

Modern (Post WW2)
WW2
Space
Medieval
Ancient
Fantasy
American Civil War
Modern (Post WW2)

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on December 31, 2013, 05:37:57 PM
Third is ancient/classical. What is the difference between the two labels? Is there any?
They're essentially the same, at least from a layman's perspective.  I tend not to call it the Classical era myself, but that's mostly to reduce confusion when discussing the musical period of the same name. 




Quote from: Gusington on December 31, 2013, 05:37:57 PM
Rome 2 comes to mind as does Hegemony.
Gah, forgot about Hegemony!  Good call Gus. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Quote from: MengJiao on December 31, 2013, 02:45:35 PM
a Dark Age Kingdom (there is no such game)

If i was going to do anything productive this year it would be to learn how to code a WITP scale Dark Ages/Medieval game

Gusington

Hegemony is a great game and I am not even a great fan of ancient Greece. Hegemony: Rome is supposed to be released 1st quarter this year.

I have a copy of Great Invasions buried somewhere...that game takes place between the 5th and 11th centuries...once known as The Dark Ages. There are also multiple mods for Medieval 2 Total War for Dark Age campaigns.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd