The Jan 2014 GAME FINISH thread! -- so it begins again!!

Started by JasonPratt, January 05, 2014, 10:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

#15
"something shorter" == Skyrim?  ;D

I still haven't finished bulking up enough to take on the (first?) alien base in XCOM:EW, but I'm already pondering what I want to finish next. I've been meaning to do a huge comparison run-thru of several WW1 games, but I may try something lighter like another one of the PuzzleX fantasy/sci-fi games, only three of which I've played so far (PQ1, PChron, PKingdoms -- none of which campaigns I've finished so they still have meat on them to chew.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2014, 02:20:54 PM
I got so damned close to finishing DAO but I couldn't beat one of final battles, afte the elections/usurpations IIRC.

That's exactly what happened to me....got all the way through to the final battles and couldn't beat it, it was very frustrating because I really liked the game. Same thing happened with DOA2.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: MengJiao on January 16, 2014, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on January 15, 2014, 09:05:03 PM
Amateurs.

I just finished an ARMA3 scenario (SP), and for the first time went almost five minutes without being shot, blown up, or otherwise seagulled. Beat that!

There's a reason why MC Hammer doesn't sue me for my harem pants.

  On an unfinished note:  I went back to ARMAIII because it got something new in the development area (unfinished!).  I went back into a scenario that I had made (unfinished!) switched sides (why?) added some armor.  I arrived and was lost somewhere on the big island.  A friendly vehicle ran over somebody behind me and I ran toward the enemy to try to stay safe.  Over in enemy land, something huge exploded and an immense pillar of black smoke came into view.  (I'm not sure what that was -- quite possibly a tank falling into a house due to unfinished deployments in the scenario design).  My combat team was more lost than me and kept demanding to know where I was so I changed roles with a recon man and took off into enemy territory.  Eventually there was a pretty big battle -- though not quite big enough since I was killed trying to find it.  I switched sides and was blown up.  I switched sides again and drove a truck with a machine gun around town until a tank hit me with machine gun fire.  I took the Cheeta (dual 35mm AA) and was busy leveling the town (enemy AT missiles were surprisingly helpful and collapsed whole buildings around me.  Eventually the tank got me.  I switched to the tank and drove around.  Everybody was dead.  I got out and found a few of my earlier selves shot to bits.  There was no feeling of closure or finish.  I think the scenario needs work.

I dunno, man. A tank falling into a house sounds pretty effin awesome.

Other than that, sounds frighteningly similar to many of my ARMA experiences. Particularly the part where no one -- including me -- knows wtf I am.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Rayfer on January 16, 2014, 04:22:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2014, 02:20:54 PM
I got so damned close to finishing DAO but I couldn't beat one of final battles, afte the elections/usurpations IIRC.

That's exactly what happened to me....got all the way through to the final battles and couldn't beat it, it was very frustrating because I really liked the game. Same thing happened with DOA2.

I had the same problem with the final battle in Baldur's Gate I.

I found DAO to be a little too hard until I did a party with two mages (NPC and the lead) and then found it a little too easy.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

W8taminute

So far this month I've managed to finish 2 games. 

I finished the single player campaign in COD: Ghosts.  I'm a little embarrassed to say that the ending caught me by surprise.  Good game all around though in my opinion.

Then I completed the main story in Red Dead Redemption.  The ending absolutely broke my heart.  It affected me so much that now all I want to do in the post game free roam section is to kill every living thing in site for revenge!  Great story and a great console game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I wish I could remember exactly which battle it was in DAO but it was a few years ago...I am tempted to play through again as I really enjoyed it...probably my second favorite recent RPG next to Skyrim.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

#21
Quote from: W8taminute on January 16, 2014, 05:25:54 PM
Then I completed the main story in Red Dead Redemption.  The ending absolutely broke my heart.  It affected me so much that now all I want to do in the post game free roam section is to kill every living thing in site for revenge!  Great story and a great console game.

You could try the alternate ending instead where he lives happily ever after with his family except for the zombie apocalypse.

I finished both of those years ago but I've been toying with running through the main campaign again for no real reason. My nieces love horses and trains so I have a 'safe' game save set up on RDR where I can leave the house just at sunrise, call the horse, and let the girls ride around the scenery looking for the various trains. (I say 'safe' because there are coyotes meandering around at the beginning, and they don't dare stop anywhere for fear of getting into a gunfight or a bearfight, and their horse hasn't been brutally murdered by a cougar from behind yet, but you know what I mean. :) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on January 16, 2014, 04:22:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2014, 02:20:54 PM
I got so damned close to finishing DAO but I couldn't beat one of final battles, afte the elections/usurpations IIRC.

That's exactly what happened to me....got all the way through to the final battles and couldn't beat it, it was very frustrating because I really liked the game. Same thing happened with DOA2.

You know you can switch to easy at any point in the game. I didn't for the final battle, but their were 2 earlier battles i did it for. for some reason i couldn't get by the early doppleganger battle, must of tried a dozen times before frustration set in. Watched some lets play and read comments and thats how i learned you could adjust the difficulty in game. the other battle was the elf boss battle in the werewolf lair, just not into replaying battles over and over again anymore messes with the continuity of the game. alot of the late battles against the blight i just would lure them into traps and pick them off with my archers and go in for mop up. I didn't realize until halfway through the game that you could put your group members on hold ... DUH....that made things better. The final battle took me 3 tries, the key was keeping my healer alive, which they would seem to target and also make your ballista shots count.

I also think i decided on my next game....think i'm going with call of juarez..gunslinger.... a little western action.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

I hear you Jason.  And yes those cougars can sneak up on you real quick like and kill you just as quick.  The black and grizzly bears are no joke either. 

I started the Undead Nightmare expansion and have progressed half way through the story.  At first it's pretty tough but once you get an acceptable ammunition supply the game starts to get a little easier. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Yeah IIRC I tried even on easy many many times and it still kicked my arse.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison


MengJiao

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on January 16, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 16, 2014, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on January 15, 2014, 09:05:03 PM
Amateurs.

I just finished an ARMA3 scenario (SP), and for the first time went almost five minutes without being shot, blown up, or otherwise seagulled. Beat that!

There's a reason why MC Hammer doesn't sue me for my harem pants.

  On an unfinished note:  I went back to ARMAIII because it got something new in the development area (unfinished!).  I went back into a scenario that I had made (unfinished!) switched sides (why?) added some armor.  I arrived and was lost somewhere on the big island.  A friendly vehicle ran over somebody behind me and I ran toward the enemy to try to stay safe.  Over in enemy land, something huge exploded and an immense pillar of black smoke came into view.  (I'm not sure what that was -- quite possibly a tank falling into a house due to unfinished deployments in the scenario design).  My combat team was more lost than me and kept demanding to know where I was so I changed roles with a recon man and took off into enemy territory.  Eventually there was a pretty big battle -- though not quite big enough since I was killed trying to find it.  I switched sides and was blown up.  I switched sides again and drove a truck with a machine gun around town until a tank hit me with machine gun fire.  I took the Cheeta (dual 35mm AA) and was busy leveling the town (enemy AT missiles were surprisingly helpful and collapsed whole buildings around me.  Eventually the tank got me.  I switched to the tank and drove around.  Everybody was dead.  I got out and found a few of my earlier selves shot to bits.  There was no feeling of closure or finish.  I think the scenario needs work.

I dunno, man. A tank falling into a house sounds pretty effin awesome.

Other than that, sounds frighteningly similar to many of my ARMA experiences. Particularly the part where no one -- including me -- knows wtf I am.

I still am not sure what the explosion is that kicks off the scenario.  I'm going to try to find out. 

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: MengJiao on January 17, 2014, 08:46:08 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on January 16, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 16, 2014, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on January 15, 2014, 09:05:03 PM
Amateurs.

I just finished an ARMA3 scenario (SP), and for the first time went almost five minutes without being shot, blown up, or otherwise seagulled. Beat that!

There's a reason why MC Hammer doesn't sue me for my harem pants.

  On an unfinished note:  I went back to ARMAIII because it got something new in the development area (unfinished!).  I went back into a scenario that I had made (unfinished!) switched sides (why?) added some armor.  I arrived and was lost somewhere on the big island.  A friendly vehicle ran over somebody behind me and I ran toward the enemy to try to stay safe.  Over in enemy land, something huge exploded and an immense pillar of black smoke came into view.  (I'm not sure what that was -- quite possibly a tank falling into a house due to unfinished deployments in the scenario design).  My combat team was more lost than me and kept demanding to know where I was so I changed roles with a recon man and took off into enemy territory.  Eventually there was a pretty big battle -- though not quite big enough since I was killed trying to find it.  I switched sides and was blown up.  I switched sides again and drove a truck with a machine gun around town until a tank hit me with machine gun fire.  I took the Cheeta (dual 35mm AA) and was busy leveling the town (enemy AT missiles were surprisingly helpful and collapsed whole buildings around me.  Eventually the tank got me.  I switched to the tank and drove around.  Everybody was dead.  I got out and found a few of my earlier selves shot to bits.  There was no feeling of closure or finish.  I think the scenario needs work.

I dunno, man. A tank falling into a house sounds pretty effin awesome.

Other than that, sounds frighteningly similar to many of my ARMA experiences. Particularly the part where no one -- including me -- knows wtf I am.

I still am not sure what the explosion is that kicks off the scenario.  I'm going to try to find out.

Any chance you've published it on workshop? Yours sound like a goodly amount of chaotic fun. . .
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.