Come for the games. Stay for the camaraderie.

Started by MetalDog, January 19, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I spend an inordinate amount of my free time on Grogheads or checking for new posts on Grogheads.  It's a great community with a lot of interesting people, insights, opinions and humor.  I know I can't be the only one, but, as I look around at all of the other areas here, it seems that there are many of us that don't go outside certain areas.  For instance, I do not go into Religion, Politics & Flame Wars.  I have no interest in politics or the incessant battle to change someone elses viewpoint.  It makes me curious though, what do you to come to Grogs for?  And what areas do you frequent, even if you don't post?

To the mods: I posted this in Computer Gaming as it has the most traffic.  If you feel it neccessary to move it, please do.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sparhawk

I check on the posts in Computer Wargaming everyday. When work is a little less busy I check out all the forums (between construction jobs). I highly value this community and try to contribute when I can.

Toonces

I'm mostly a computer games forum kind of guy.

After I read everything good in here, I'll browse down, hit the board Wargaming board, if the Roleplaying has something interesting on the right side I'll check that.  Then it's the long trip down to General Discussion and Current Events.  I only poke into those if a good subject is on the right, otherwise it's down to Books and Reading to see if PeaceFlower has hooked us up with any new freebies (what ever happened to him, anyway?).

Once I pass the Books forum I'll head back up north to Computer Gaming for one last sweep and then it's on to another website or <gulp> the real world.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

I mosey around most all of the sub forums.  Of course my favorites are the computer and board gaming boards and the current events and general topics forums too.  I also was lured here with the promise of hot gamer chicks posting cosplay photos but that was just a lie.

Skoop

Usually frequent the computer games section.  I like the no bull$hi@ honest feedback and discussion about wargames.  Originally this all took place at that other site with many of the same faces.  It's all lame there now way better scene here, a lot of the crowd here have similar taste in wargames.

mikeck

I love this forum. No one seems to get to serious or personal when someone doesn't like the games they do. I left another sight because when I posted that I forums x-rebirth to be enjoyable, people actually got angry, and posted reviews to prove I was "wrong"

Not conducive to discussion. Plus I like seeing Gus list all of the games he's about to play but probably won't!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 03:47:02 PM
I love this forum. No one seems to get to serious or personal when someone doesn't like the games they do. I left another sight because when I posted that I forums x-rebirth to be enjoyable, people actually got angry, and posted reviews to prove I was "wrong"

Not conducive to discussion. Plus I like seeing Gus list all of the games he's about to play but probably won't!

and probably because we're the only ones who understand your posts sometimes!

I get up, drive to work, make coffee, sit down and hit the 'new posts since last visit button' with anticipation every day, and read everything unless its general discussion/politics - i cant angry enough to be in there

What id dearly like is a 'usual suspects' line up to see if i could guess who was who, never seen most of you guys, but if sat at a bar and the guy next to me said 'im XXXX from Grogheads' id buy you a drink, unless it was Star, then id run like fuck

bayonetbrant

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 19, 2014, 04:07:18 PMWhat id dearly like is a 'usual suspects' line up to see if i could guess who was who, never seen most of you guys, but if sat at a bar and the guy next to me said 'im XXXX from Grogheads' id buy you a drink, unless it was Star, then id run like fuck

You know, you could always dust off the passport and c'mon out to Origins and join us for that drink!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Oops. I mean I'm here for the games. It's all about the games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

I pretty much look at as many threads as I can, although I usually go to the wargames / computer games first. I can remember, what, almost 2 years ago, you could read everything almost as it was posted, but now we have grown so much there tends to be more posts than you can keep up with.

I agree with MD's comments. Great place, great people.

Oh, and if Geeks going to Origins, he has to take me as I'll a need a minder  ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Yskonyn

I am always checking the 'Computer Wargaming' section and the Multiplayer board of these forums with the occasional trip to the other sections, but the first already makes me spend too much time, so I tend to only skim over the other sections.

I do enjoy my stay here the best of All the forums I frequent. There might be some pretty strong discussions at times, but it always stays decent and grown-up with respect for eachother.
And most 'obscure games' tips I have gotten from you guys too, which gives me a pretty interesting find at times!

Keep on coming with the good times, folks!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

steve58

Definitely love the site, great people and topics all around.  Mostly I frequent Computer Wargaming followed by Military History, Current Events, General Discussion, Enigmas of the Mystical and Beer & Pretzels.  Occasionally I'll stray into Religion, Politics, and Flame Wars and even post there once in a while. Next round is on me.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Father Ted

Pretty much just the Computer Wargaming for me.   I like to see what consumers rather than journalists have to say about games I'm interested in.  Plus there's hints and tips from "real" people.  Talking of which, I do wander down south to the IRL section to see what people think about various current events.  Most posters here are articulate and polite, so even if they're saying something I don't agree with I feel I can engage.

Mostly though it's about discussing games in a mature manner and perhaps lending others the benefit of what knowledge I may have.

Nice idea for a thread BTW!

BanzaiCat

I'm here for anything and everything, although admittedly I stick only to the Show unread posts since your last visit and the Show new replies to your posts links. I don't delve into the forums as I know that would be a black hole of time-suck and I already spend a ton of time here just with those two links.

I've said it before; when I was writing at Wargamer I rarely, if ever, got into the forums over there. This place is a lot different, with a lot more camaraderie.