Come for the games. Stay for the camaraderie.

Started by MetalDog, January 19, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MetalDog on January 19, 2014, 02:38:21 PM
I spend an inordinate amount of my free time on Grogheads or checking for new posts on Grogheads.  It's a great community with a lot of interesting people, insights, opinions and humor.  I know I can't be the only one, but, as I look around at all of the other areas here, it seems that there are many of us that don't go outside certain areas.  For instance, I do not go into Religion, Politics & Flame Wars.  I have no interest in politics or the incessant battle to change someone elses viewpoint.  It makes me curious though, what do you to come to Grogs for?  And what areas do you frequent, even if you don't post?

To the mods: I posted this in Computer Gaming as it has the most traffic.  If you feel it neccessary to move it, please do.

I'm mostly in the Computer gaming section.  I play a lot of board games.  Or at least I did until last month.  Slowly rebuilding the manloft's atmosphere.

the Groghead's population seems like a remarkably reasonable bunch for an online crowd.  I've learned more here than almost any other place online I've ever been.

I even tried Skyrim, which was educational.

Elsewhere online I go to SimHQ and the company boards like Bohemia and
Rof and Battle of Stalingrad and BattleFront and Matrix....BUT Grogheads is where I get the news about what's what in the game world.  Oh and I read RPS-- educational -- gad there are some horrible-sounding games out there.

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 19, 2014, 04:07:18 PM
Quote from: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 03:47:02 PM
I love this forum. No one seems to get to serious or personal when someone doesn't like the games they do. I left another sight because when I posted that I forums x-rebirth to be enjoyable, people actually got angry, and posted reviews to prove I was "wrong"

Not conducive to discussion. Plus I like seeing Gus list all of the games he's about to play but probably won't!

and probably because we're the only ones who understand your posts sometimes!

Hey! It's not my fault that my ducking spell check on my iPhone charges words into otter words.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

What attracts me to this site is the no nonsense game opinions and the gentlemanly attitude of everyone here.  I can be found reading anything in any forum here that attracts my attention.  I'm a sucker for creatively titled threads, like this one par example. 

When I want to find out what is going on in the real world I'll often check the current events section here first before browsing elsewhere. 

I like long walks on the beach alone.  My interests include dishwashing and doing the laundry as well as taking out the gaahbage.  If you want to PBEM Dominions 4 but are not looking for a serious commitment hit me up sometime.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Great site and where I spend most of my time on the web....a lot of good discussions without any anger and people are always respectful....never gets personal like other places I have been.  I browse all over the forums, but my primary spot is the computer wargames section.....I have an addiction, which is buying games and even sometimes playing them:)

Arctic Blast

I spend too much time here, engaging in my favorite pastime...mockery!  ;D

Gusington

I am here for the camaraderie. Because I didn't know how to spell it before.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

I start reading at the top and work my way down through everything that's got a little orange tag next to it. Just so much good information on so many things from intelligent people that is hard not to read it all.

Oh and the special place right at the bottom!

TheCommandTent

Good thread MD.  I usually start at the top and work my way down through all the forms except for RP&FW.  I always look forward to browsing GrogHeads.  For a while I was so busy with a new job I was barely ever here and I have to admit that I missed it more than I realized.  Recently I've had more time to spend here but it has been spent mostly lurking.  Really they just let me hang around here to drag the average age down by a decade or two.   :P
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Jarhead0331

I'm with Toonces. I always start in computer gaming and work my way down. Still, I end up spending most of my time in the digital gaming forums, only occasionally dabbling int he general, current events and R&P places, etc.

I also spend time in the grogheads legal department flirting with my secretary.

Seriously, the real beauty of this place from the perspective of a staff member is that everyone who is here wants to be here and for the most part respects and enjoys the company of all active members. you guys mod yourselves and know what it takes to maintain a comfortable and vibrant atmosphere. I've said it before, but it's all of our members collectively that make grogheads such a magical place.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

There is definitely a vibe here.  I don't know how else to describe it.

I suppose ultimately it's the mods that set the tone for what is acceptable behavior and what isn't.  That seems to have been done here with minimal drama.  Now that we've all been hanging out here a bit, it seems we're all quite comfortable with one another and it's neat how much useful information can be exchanged when you cut out the BS.  I've definitely expanded my gaming spectrum since hanging out here.  Some of you guys game outside my comfort zone, but when I read about unusual games- for example in the Friday threads- it inspires me to look at what else is out there that I might otherwise have totally missed, like Cardhunter.

Grogheads is a nice place to chill, for sure.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

spelk

I mainly check out the Computer Wargaming and the Mobile forum, with a keen eye on the Digital AAR's - but I do dabble in a lot of the other areas if time is available.

However, its more the discussion about the computer wargaming hobby with a bunch of folks I have respected over the years, and the fact that I know theres minimal judgement based on what has gone before.

Everyone is on the same level, and that level is based on long term familiarity and respect.

ComradeP

I check Computer Wargaming a couple of times a day, mostly later on due to the different timezones resulting in less forum activity during European business hours.

Other than that, not much really. I learned from WG how much time spare time a forum can consume if you let it, and I'm not inclined to do it again.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

weateallthepies

I read the computer wargaming forum in the hope that by some form of digital osmosis I might get better at playing them.

bbmike

Mostly I read the Computer Wargaming section but sometimes I'll check out the other sections. I've even heard there's a super secret forum here that few of us have access to. I wonder what sinister NSA-like discussions happen in there?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on January 20, 2014, 09:01:32 AMI've even heard there's a super secret forum here that few of us have access to. I wonder what sinister NSA-like discussions happen in there?  :P

Well, we have a writers' section that's mostly me and/or Longblade begging our writers to turn in their articles for the front page.  Are you volunteering?!? ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers