Surprise! Permanent Price Reductions at Matrix

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 20, 2014, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Caught me by surprise, looks like they have reduced a number of their games permanently...

http://www.slithdata.net/files/news/MG_MG_SALES_PermamentReduction_List.pdf

Haven't looked at them yet to know if anything really good....

ComradeP

QuoteCaught me by surprise, looks like they have reduced a number of their games permanently...

Permamently, which is even more permanent than permanently.

In all honesty, I was wondering if it would be my hypothetical children or grandchildren who would be the first to see Matrix price reductions, but this is a nice surprise. After years of being badgered about it, they folded, although they'll say it's simply a normal business decision without outside pressure.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Grim.Reaper

It's a start...but after looking at the list, nothing still really interests me on the list yet.  Let's hope this list constantly gets updated as games become less supported and dated, should be normal practice now.

Jarhead0331

#3
Quote from: ComradeP on January 20, 2014, 01:16:13 PM
QuoteCaught me by surprise, looks like they have reduced a number of their games permanently...

Permamently, which is even more permanent than permanently.

In all honesty, I was wondering if it would be my hypothetical children or grandchildren who would be the first to see Matrix price reductions, but this is a nice surprise. After years of being badgered about it, they folded, although they'll say it's simply a normal business decision without outside pressure.

I'm sure the ability of Matrix to reduce prices is directly tied to the financial success of Slitherine. Matrix prices never went down back in the day because it was a small "independent" company. The "merge" with Slitherine, together with the success of several Slitherine titles has enabled Matrix, from an economic standpoint, to reduce its prices to more accurately reflect a modern pricing model. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

Agree it's a welcome change -- and yet once i again I feel myself spoiled by the constant Steam etc. sales, where the $10 price reductions Matrix is offering don't seem all that enticing.

i know Matrix is not Steam and can't afford to offer 75% off binge sales, but those kinds of sales are the reality of digitally distributed PC gaming as we now know it. Kinda puts Matrix between a rock and a hard place, I'm sure.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 20, 2014, 01:38:08 PM
Agree it's a welcome change -- and yet once i again I feel myself spoiled by the constant Steam etc. sales, where the $10 price reductions Matrix is offering don't seem all that enticing.

i know Matrix is not Steam and can't afford to offer 75% off binge sales, but those kinds of sales are the reality of digitally distributed PC gaming as we now know it. Kinda puts Matrix between a rock and a hard place, I'm sure.

So long as Matrix/Slitherine can remain the exclusive distributor for the majority of niche wargames, I think they will be ok not matching the price point for the general digital gaming market.  Wargamers will undoubtedly continue to pay a premium price for the games that they demand, so long as they are not offered cheaper elsewhere. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ComradeP

I always felt the argument that the games had to remain at full price in order to generate enough revenue was somewhat odd, as particularly the older games presumably won't sell well at all if they stay at the same price level for years.

I wonder how many of the older games sold during a year are sold during the Christmas sale. I'm guessing it's a substantial part of the sales for that year.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 01:43:44 PM
So long as Matrix/Slitherine can remain the exclusive distributor for the majority of niche wargames, I think they will be ok not matching the price point for the general digital gaming market.  Wargamers will undoubtedly continue to pay a premium price for the games that they demand, so long as they are not offered cheaper elsewhere.


I suspect you're right, and the connection you draw between Slitherine's success and these price drops makes a lot of sense.  Still, I'm not sure how Matrix/Slitherine can cope with the other problem:  its catalog is getting very long in the tooth.  I'm all for paying the extra buck to support independent devs / devs who cater to important niche markets. At the same time, I have qualms about dropping $40+ on games that are now several years old.  Crown of Glory has intrigued me for the longest time, and yet I feel no more inclined to spring for it now at $40 than the previous $50.  But that may just be me.

Grim.Reaper

What is this world coming too?  Now they announce Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 (a newer game) is on sale for $19, celebrating a launch of their demo!   Demos and price reductions, what the heck is going on:)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3526710

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 01:43:44 PM
Wargamers will undoubtedly continue to pay a premium price for the games that they demand, so long as they are not offered cheaper elsewhere.

Pretty much this.

Having worked with them on the side in the mid-2000s, their philosophy was that they were pretty much the only company around churning out quality gaming product. While they had a miss here and there, they had far more hits, which is unusual for most gaming companies. They were doing it right, and they knew it, so they had little motivation to put anything on sale.

I'm actually shocked they're reducing prices on some of these, even if it is 5-10 bucks. For them to fold under gamer demand, it must have finally sunk in that not everyone wants to pay top dollar for a game that's eight years old.

Tuna

LOL Steel Panthers World at War.. 50 bucks!!!.. LOL!!!  NOT!

Toonces

There are a few nice prices there- Empires in Arms, TOAW3 and Uncommon Valor are all very reasonably priced IMHO.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Anguille

Nice...i might buy a couple of games this year after all  :)

Greybriar

Thanks for the heads-up, Grim.Reaper.

The reduction in price is certainly welcome, and since it's primarily for the digital versions of the games I believe it is long overdue.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Grim.Reaper