Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

You may well have worked it out - but the trick here I think is two fold...
1. Ignore Shaken units - they ain't going anywhere. I say that because in this game when a shaken unit shows up, it's very cost effective to melee with it because it doesn't fight back...but here, you get them shaken, you leave em.
2. Artillery - make it count. Wait for some nice juicy targets to get together. I used one early on in the mission and forgot I had another. In truth the first one was pretty wasted and the second "forgotten" one saved the mission for me...so use them wisely and hope the roll goes for you.

That's all I've got. I'm sure BH has some tips  ;)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

Yeah. But when to retreat?  The hero is very useful though because he can do defensive fire several times.  Gotta keep him alive as long as possible.

Barthheart

Usually I don't retreat until I really need to, say turn 4 or 5, but you can retreat as early as the end of turn 2.
Just remember:
1) Only move your troops after all the Russians have acted or you will get shot to pieces.
2) Retreat in 2 steps. First step is to the foxholes. Try not to  fire out of these as you have much less protection, when they fire back, than in the woods. Then retreat to the buildings, these have the best defence factor.
3) It's OK to leave someone behind, but not the hero or the leaders,.... they will hold up the Russians... brave sacrifice.

JudgeDredd

I didn't retreat until turn 4. Took some casualties too - but with that many Russians, you're going to.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 27, 2014, 05:50:59 PM


Is it me or has anyone else been finding that the battle/campaign stats page is confusing as far as what the different categories in the columns and rows are supposed to mean?

Thanks,

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

JudgeDredd

I'll be completely honest with you - I didn't analyse them.

But looking at them...a wee bit. Only really the eliminated rows - and even then I know that it's talking about your opponents eliminated units because in that scenario, there was no way I lost 8 squads.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart


GroggyGrognard

My apologies for not being clear and specific. I own the game but unfortunately I haven't had any time to sit down and play it lately. (home front duties.) I've been reading the threads about it both here and over on the Matrix Games forum. It's mostly the 'Enemy Units Shaken' row that is a bit confusing. Someone else over on the Matrix Games forum started a thread also about the battle stats page being confusing.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3551618

Thanks,

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

JudgeDredd

I think it looks a bit confusing because it has "OWN" and "ENEMY" at the top...then the Enemy Units Shaken row. Maybe the values should be switched and the row states "Units SHAKEN"
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

I finally got past through this scenario without even giving up a single Victory hex.  Satisfying to see a bunch of Russian move forward, turn to shaken status, fall back, and regroup to try another wave. Trick is to just turn everything you see to shaken as they can't shoot of move forward. Ignore those that are already shaken because they can't be revived without a leader or hero anyway.

SgtRock

Helpless Units Eliminated - That's an odd one?

One might expect

KIA
WIA
MIA
POW

JudgeDredd

Well, one could argue the number of enemy troops taken as prisoner. You could also argue the fighting in built up area being brutal and to the death (as a lot of Russians were willing to do from what I gather). But point is, it's a game and a Shaken unit is determined as being of no use.

They could be marked as KIA, MIA etc - but it's just a phrase...they are at least removed from the battle, regardless of how it's stated they are removed.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

SgtRock

Are there any gameplay videos for the released version? I'd really like to see how the different phases work.

Barthheart

#193
Try this one....



Or this one..


SgtRock

Sorry but the videos don't cut it, you need videos where some one explains what the heck is going on?

This game needs a demo!!!