Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Good. Didn't seem right somehow. I know it "could've" been classed as contested - but on the last turn when you have no recourse - and it's melee - it kind of made it aaaaargh!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

yeah i read they were 'softening' the victory conditions somewhere

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 25, 2014, 05:21:06 PM
yeah i read they were 'softening' the victory conditions somewhere

Where did you read that? Bunch on pansies...  :P ;)

JD, yes that's a bug they are trying to squash. Not sure where it came from as I never saw in it testing, but saw it last night in my game against Mark.


JudgeDredd

I moved my troops to a hex containing a house. The route took me through a melee hex and it was shown to me but I let it continue because the melee was resolved and my troops stopped in the melee hex.

Now...I know that might look like a bug in itself, but I understand the rule of reinforcing melee and there are times when, even though the melee was resolved and there were no enemy units in there, that you might want to put troops in there (perhaps you understand that there might be more enemy troops heading into the hex)...so I get why they had to stop.

However, my problem is with the destination hex. If I click a hex to move units to, I think the route should be plotted to avoid the melee...because more often than not, you are deliberately not attempting to reinforce the melee...after all you are clicking a hex beyond the melee hex.

So the bug is that clicking any other hex than the melee hex means the route could still take you through the melee hex and stop you there even though you were clearly avoiding it.

I know it shows the route and should be down to you to avoid...and maybe it's too much work to program a re-route. But I did initially think my troops would go straight through because melee was over AND there were no enemy units in there....or perhaps even change the rule that if you click on any other hex and there are no enemy troops in the melee hex that your troops just move through. That would be easier than re-routing I would think...a simple check on the hex

IF ENEMYTROOPS=PRESENT then
    //even if melee started or not....stop
    STOP
ELSE
    ///regardless of melee status of hex...nothing to do
    CONTINUE
ENDIF
:P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Not really a bug. The routing tool will only show you the shortest route to your destination hex. The routing tool also does not necessarily show you the safest route either so use it with caution.

And yes the rule is that whenever you enter a hex with a melee marker you stop... Doesn't matter if there are enemy units there or not.

Now there is nothing stopping you from requesting that the routing routine be changed to avoid melee hexes, but I don't think you want to change the melee hex rule.

JudgeDredd

See I would've thought the latter would've been a more sensible (and easier to code) option. I get the MELEE rule in the game and that's different because in the PC you are just clicking your destination hex. By the sheer fact you are not clicking on a MELEE hex you are indicating you do not want to reinforce that melee...which isn't quite the same in the boardgame when moving a hex at a time.

If they don't want to change the melee rule for fear of confusion between boardgame and PC game rules, then I can see that.

Whilst I always think there's a huge benefit to keeping a PC game in line with a boardgame, there are some intricacies where a slight change would be a benefit...and I see this as one.

I suppose...I suppose it could be that by having the melee hex there, you are forcing the player to another route and if that's part of the point of the rule, then it makes sense not to change it...because there is an additional function there...taking that hex out of use.

Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Yes that's it because of the "time continuum thing". The melee is happening during the entire turn and if you move into that hex you get sucked into the furball.

It does make you have to take another route, which maybe less safe/more open to enemy fire, which can change your tactics for that turn.

The best change would be to have the auto route programmed to go around the melee hex.... but it really is just a tool for seeing how far yer troops can move in a  turn.

JudgeDredd

Knowing all that I understand (I had forgotten about the continuum thing).

I don't think it's needed to be worried about now I know all this. I should've been more careful. It's slightly misleading showing you you can get to your destination hex through a melee hex though.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Put this to bed today (Just Another Village) as well as my ARMA III curse.


Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

I have a question about deployment. When I deploy a vehicle how do I change facing prior or at deployment?

They ALWAYS point top left...and in my latest map I'm attacking right.

I've searched the manual for FACING, DEPLOY, AUTO- (for finding auto-deploy)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Once you have deployed all your units you can then select each tank on the map and the rotate button at the bottom will now be active for you to turn the tank.

But it only becomes active once ALL your units have been placed.

JudgeDredd

I just choose Assault Move for one of my armour units. I moved it the number of hexes allowed and noticed it wasn't facing the direction I wanted it to...so I tried to turn it, and couldn't because it had no MPs left. But I opted to fire at the enemy unit anyway...and the vehicle made the turn automatically that I couldn't manually
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Capn Darwin

Kind of sounds that way. Either the shot should have been nixed with the target out of arc or you should have been able to rotate. I would post this over on the Matrix bug forum for the game so Tom can look it over. A pic and/or save file would help him out too.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Not a bug. True you could not turn because you ran out of MP. But when you made the shot the program turn the tank for you and gave you a -1 modifier for turning to make the shot.

Same as the board game.

JudgeDredd

I noticed the -1 modifier for turning and had noticed it before

Thx
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people