Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

I'm sitting here, reading the thread, and set out on the table in front of me is L n L's Heroes of the Blitzkrieg. 8)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 12, 2014, 05:21:55 PM
The point of a computer game is to create what cannot be created with a board game...
I can't see how that's true. He seems to have managed it  :P

I think the point of a computer representation of a board game is to bring it to the masses, to remove the need for solitaire and "house rules" and to do the rule enforcement for you.

The Lock and Load games are superb. I have two, World at War:Blood and Bridges and Band of Heroes and they are beautiful and brilliant. His rule books, however, should be written by someone else. They are, imo, all over the place, unclear and in some cases, simply confusing.

This game has taken long enough...I wouldn't imagine that he'd be moving to a new set of rules by going to the World at War series until he's garnered some cash...perhaps making add-ons for this era of game - there are loads after all. But that is pure conjecture. I would love him to move to the World at War series also.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Barthheart - I'm playing the Advanced Rally Phase tutorial and when I fail to rally with the Commissar, I do not get a Fight or Die option to try again. Do you get the Fight or Die option fire?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bayonetbrant

Hey folks - Just after major new releases drop, we're going to fire up some specific sub-forums for those games, to talk gameplay, bugs, scenarios, etc.  This is an experiment and we'll see how it goes.  In the past, we've just had 1 major thread that collected a lot of topics that weren't of great interest to all the readers, so we're going to try this and see what happens.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Discuss all manner of gameplay of Heroes of Stalingrad here.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Discuss all manner of technical specs and req's of Heroes of Stalingrad here.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Discuss all manner of bugs, feature requests, tweaks, etc, for Heroes of Stalingrad here.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 12, 2014, 05:46:14 PM
Barthheart - I'm playing the Advanced Rally Phase tutorial and when I fail to rally with the Commissar, I do not get a Fight or Die option to try again. Do you get the Fight or Die option fire?

It seems you were answered at Matrix. Did that help..?


bayonetbrant

OK guys - we opened a sub-forum with a bunch of threads specifically to discuss Heroes of Stalingrad. 

We're trying something new to see how this plays out

Let us know what you think
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

SgtRock

QuoteI think the point of a computer representation of a board game is to bring it to the masses, to remove the need for solitaire and "house rules" and to do the rule enforcement for you.

Don't you think there's a danger of making a computer game that only appeals to board gamers? To me, I want something more than a simulated cardboard map and counters and seeing dice roll makes my eyes roll. Reading the Matrix forums I keep seeing multiple comments like it's just like the board game, too me that's like saying something tastes just like chicken. Why would I buy something that's tastes like chicken, if I want chicken then I'll buy chicken, not something that tastes like it.

This is why I need a demo!



Barthheart

Quote from: SgtRock on February 12, 2014, 08:38:32 PM
QuoteI think the point of a computer representation of a board game is to bring it to the masses, to remove the need for solitaire and "house rules" and to do the rule enforcement for you.

Don't you think there's a danger of making a computer game that only appeals to board gamers? To me, I want something more than a simulated cardboard map and counters and seeing dice roll makes my eyes roll. Reading the Matrix forums I keep seeing multiple comments like it's just like the board game, too me that's like saying something tastes just like chicken. Why would I buy something that's tastes like chicken, if I want chicken then I'll buy chicken, not something that tastes like it.

This is why I need a demo!

Everything you are saying says to me that you don't want this game..... so don't buy it.  :)

To me, it's a great squad level tactical turn based game, that happens to look like a board game. That last bit appeals to be because I'm of the generation that started war gaming before there were computers.

I didn't like the way Conflict of Heroes went with the 3d sprites instead of the 2d counters form the board game. But many, many people do like that. (However there was enough requests that they finally added hi-res versions of the 2d counters after release.)

As much as we all like to claim that game play is paramount, most of us like to look at something that appeals to us in some way. The Battle in Normandy series of games make my eyes bleed from the colour palette but I hear is a great game... I just can't get past the looks.... so the game is not for me.

Like I said before you can turn off the dice rolling around the board, you can turn off the attack DRM breakdown charts and just play the game by selecting a unit and choosing to fire at the enemy and seeing the end results only. Lots of testers played this way, it's way faster to play a scenario that way.


Barthheart

Tactical hint #1 - killing infantry with infantry from a distance in HoS is hard! Get up close and personal in a melee combat.

It is easier to use the old Army adage: Find, fix, flank and finish.
Find the enemy: locate your enemy so as to be able to fire at him. This requires the target hex to be Spotted. (A hex is Spotted if someone in it has fire or moved or you have troops next to it.)
Fix the enemy: fire at him so that he can't move and is unwilling or unable to fire back, ie shaken them.
Flank the enemy: part of your force should be moving around the enemy while the first part Fixes him.
Finish the enemy: move your flanking force in the enemy's hex and kill him in melee combat.

In HoS, moving into a hex that contains nothing but shaken enemy units will result in the automatic killing of those enemy units. Even a single half squad of yours that is in good order (ie not shaken) can move into a hex with several shaken enemy squads and kill them all. In the boardgame circle of this series this is called "Shake 'n Take".

Melee is very powerful in this game and is your friend if used properly.



jomni

I got really frustrated beta testing this as I can't get past the campaign missions.  It seems to be more like a puzzle than a tactical combat game.  Try this, try that, see what works.  Employ cautious and sound real-world tactics, and you might just not accomplish the mission. 

That said, it is a good tactical system. Better than Conflict of Heroes in my opinion because the latter is just so gamey in my opinion.  Will be buying this eventually.

Barthheart

Tactical Hint #2 - Spotting or How to cross the Street

Spotting is a important feature in HoS that makes it different from that other squad leading type game.  ;)

Just because the you can see the enemy units skulking in the building across the street doesn't mean your men on the ground can. The enemy needs to have given his position away by moving or shooting OR you need men right up next to them to give their position away.

So now you have to cross the street with the enemy sitting in the building across from you... what to do?

1) You could spend an action and try and spot them with a unit or leader. You'll need to roll 1 or a 2 on 1D6. Low odds and make that unit not be able to move that turn.

If your force is on the attack, spending time trying to spot means you are not advancing and you will probably run out of time/turns to complete your mission.

2) Move towards them. This might sound like a bad idea, but is actually the most efficient way to advance your force.

DON'T move your entire stack into the street! Just move a single squad/half squad. See if your enemy takes the bait. If he does then your squad has done their job by drawing fire and exposing the enemy(Find). Also they can now no longer fire this turn (Fix).

Now it is safe for the rest of your units to move and or fire at the enemy.

Try to move your Leaders last so they can move to rally any of your shaken units that drew fire.

If the enemy does not fire at your bait then keep moving until your unit is right next to the enemy, preferably in some kind of cover terrain. At this point they will be spotted for all to see/fire at. Now shoot or move the next unit.

Make your enemy have to choose when to fire or hold. They won't be able to do everything in a turn.

jomni

Great tips.  No wonder I can't win the missions. I've been wasting time spotting and shooting. :)