Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...just bought HoS and am starting to enjoy it.  I think this will be my go-to game for the next while for quick game sessions.  Ive played the "convoy" scenario a couple of times as the soviets and won hands down everytime.  Now to try it as the Germans...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

Well...



I have no idea what the hell is going on with all of the dice rolls.  I guess I should read the manual, but there are at least 3 or 4 rolls for every engagement and little detail in the dialogue box.  I'll accept that I am just that awesome.

Bison

The one aspect of the game that I don't really like is the zoom levels.  There's a zoom level missing between super close and the one up from it.  There is a sweet spot to be had but I cannot find it with the available zoom levels.

Bison

The fact I cannot log onto the multiplayer server is pissing me off.  Just venting here boys.  But seriously, am I the only one having this issue?

Barthheart

Yes I think you are the only one.

The password is just for the forum, so I just used a simple easy to remember password. Who cares if it gets hacked it's just for posting in the forum, nothing secure in there.

Bison

No it's your password for your member account.  Frankly I wouldn't care if it was for the home and gardens forums.  That really isn't the point.  It's demanding that people have weak passwords for your account and that is not acceptable especially since some of these accounts have credit information available. 

Jack Nastyface

So got around to playing two games of "Sunday Drive" convoy scenario as the Germans.  I lost the first game on the the second turn by which time four admittedly lucky shots had aced my halftrack and three trucks.  I won the second game, but have discoved a slight problem:  replayability.  Once you play a scenario from either side, you sort of "remember" certain things (ie: location of landmines in a road hex, the row of houses where Russians troops spawn as reinforcements).  Which means if I ever play that scenario again, I'll probably always take "the low road" increasing my chances of winning.  Perhaps some kind of "random reinforcement area" feature needs to be includd.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Rayfer

When the scenario description says 'multiplayer only'....is that a suggestion or is it to be taken literally, as in; it can't be played solo because it has no AI?

JudgeDredd

I've heard of at least one person playing a multiplayer scenario solo.

I've loaded one and started it, playing a few phases in the first turn and there did seem to be an AI from what I recall...so I'd say it's a suggestion.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

chemkid

a little sad here that the singleplayer scenarios can't be played in multiplayer mode... maybe i'm just lucky but the ai seems a little weak in my fights (hard mode).
right now, 'a partisan defence' would be nice to play against a human... my partisans keep stalling the germans pretty soon and they keep passing until time runs out...

chem!

JudgeDredd

I haven't played that many scenarios yet as I'm doing this AAR so I couldn't possibly comment on how good/bad the AI is.

It kicked my backside 4 times in this scenario...though I do think that was likely down to my forgetting certain things (like not needing to close with the enemy, staying hidden, maximising results with op fire on a moving target in the open etc)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

Quote from: chemkid on February 18, 2014, 03:17:42 AM
a little sad here that the singleplayer scenarios can't be played in multiplayer mode... maybe i'm just lucky but the ai seems a little weak in my fights (hard mode).
right now, 'a partisan defence' would be nice to play against a human... my partisans keep stalling the germans pretty soon and they keep passing until time runs out...

chem!

Single player scenarios aren't balanced when two humans play it.

Barthheart

Single player scenarios can be played multiplayer. There is nothing stopping you from doing that. They might be unbalanced for one side or the other but you can play them MP.

Also MP scenarios can be played solo. Jus that in some of them both sides need to purchase and place units and the AI won't do that. So you could end up on a battlefield all alone.... and that would be sad...  :P

Marty Ward

Quote from: Barthheart on February 20, 2014, 08:24:34 AM
Single player scenarios can be played multiplayer. There is nothing stopping you from doing that. They might be unbalanced for one side or the other but you can play them MP.

Also MP scenarios can be played solo. Jus that in some of them both sides need to purchase and place units and the AI won't do that. So you could end up on a battlefield all alone.... and that would be sad...  :P

Can you turn on the AI after buying and deploying units?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Barthheart

Quote from: Marty Ward on February 20, 2014, 01:18:31 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 20, 2014, 08:24:34 AM
Single player scenarios can be played multiplayer. There is nothing stopping you from doing that. They might be unbalanced for one side or the other but you can play them MP.

Also MP scenarios can be played solo. Jus that in some of them both sides need to purchase and place units and the AI won't do that. So you could end up on a battlefield all alone.... and that would be sad...  :P

Can you turn on the AI after buying and deploying units?

I think you are asking if you could start as a MP game then switch to a solo game? The answer is no.