Solo RPG Modules

Started by Double Deuce, January 22, 2014, 10:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

So, I see that Tunnels and Trolls has a ton of solo modules, does anyone know if there are any 1e AD&D or OSRIC ones out there? I've searched and haven't been able to come up with anything except those for T&T, with the exception of the M1 Blizzard Pass one that came out for D&D.

Bison

I'm pretty sure, like 99% sure, AD&D has solo modules.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

Thanks for the links. I didn't see them earlier, probably from using to narrow of search criteria.

bayonetbrant

there's also this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_modules

and search for the word "solo" - I think I got them all in the RPGgeek links, but might have missed 1-2.  I was going off the top of my head :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

I vaguely remember Blizzard Pass.

Didn't those old D&D solo modules come with some very light highlighter marker you had to use on the hidden text boxes in order to read the description of the option you chose?  Had a little velcro spot on the front to place it?  And the highlighter inevitably dried out before you were done using the module, of course. 

I think it would've been easier if they had just taken the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' route and mixed up the decision paths solely via numbered entries on different pages. 

Double Deuce

Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2014, 10:53:28 PM
I vaguely remember Blizzard Pass.

Didn't those old D&D solo modules come with some very light highlighter marker you had to use on the hidden text boxes in order to read the description of the option you chose?  Had a little velcro spot on the front to place it?  And the highlighter inevitably dried out before you were done using the module, of course.

Not sure of the others, but Blizzard Pass did. This past week the kids wanted to play a group adventure with no DM so I dug out my old original copy but it was all highlighted out and the ink has faded so bad you can't read it. On a hunch, I busted out my black light and the text glows really good. We played it through 3 times, only died twice.   :-\

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2014, 11:44:17 PM
http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/44105/ghost-of-lion-castle
http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/46678/lathans-gold

Quote from: nefaro
Didn't those old D&D solo modules come with some very light highlighter marker you had to use on the hidden text boxes in order to read the description of the option you chose?

I owned both Ghost of Lion Castle and Lathan's Gold.

Lion's Castle was paragraph-driven, IIRC, while Lathan's Gold did that *##$% terrible invisible ink reveal thing. I remember in my copy that the pen was almost dried out so it was tough to play through it more than a couple of times.

I think I still have Lion's Castle around here somewhere. Maybe even Lathan's Gold.

Edit: I believe there were some pretty cool Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type D&D books as well. Some you needed pencil and paper and such to play along with, but they were not 'true' D&D modules, probably just knock-offs. Be an Interplanetary Spy was my favorite of these interactive books.

bayonetbrant

There were 3 different types of solo modules:

1. Invisible ink - pen dried up, but you could use a blacklight, or the ink from a different marker (they were all the rage back then), or even a concotion of something I remember finding online (for some reason I think it included some lemon juice or something off the wall).

2. Magic Viewer - Red cellophane that filters out the static over the text.  It's choose-your-own-adventure with 'hidden' text

3. Choose your own adventure - straight up CYOA, like Lathan's Gold, or any of the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 24, 2014, 09:54:33 AMEdit: I believe there were some pretty cool Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type D&D books as well. Some you needed pencil and paper and such to play along with, but they were not 'true' D&D modules, probably just knock-offs. Be an Interplanetary Spy was my favorite of these interactive books.

There were a bunch.  TSR published a bunch of straight-up CYOA type games, no dice or "gameplay", under the "Endless Quest" label: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Quest (I have the first 6 and most of the others that are D&D-based, but not the SF/TS ones)

The UK-based Steve Jackson had the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_fantasy  (I have a handful of these)
There was also the Lone Wolf series:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_(gamebooks)  (I have 1-2, plus the Magnamund Companion)
... both of these had some dice and gameplay involved in them.

There's also been many of the FF and LW books released for Kindle, with appropriate hyperlinking functions to jump you from place to place in the text.

bayonetbrant

the ones that are really hard to find (and with good reason) are these:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeartQuest

somehow, the idea of selling CYOA romance-themed books in the D&D universe didn't go over well with 11-year-old girls...

BanzaiCat

There was quite a run of those books back in the mid-to-late 80s. Working at a bookstore at the time had its rewards. ;D

Wish I had kept what I had, though...it's been so long. I think I ordered some of the Endless Quest books off of eBay and I'm pretty sure they're in a box in the garage somewhere.

Nefaro

I had some of the Lone Wolf and Fighting Fantasy ones.

:)