Main Menu

OOTP 15

Started by bbmike, January 24, 2014, 08:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2014, 05:51:20 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 15, 2014, 03:35:03 AM
No - not me. I picked up 14 and I normally go every two or even third iteration

That's what is holding me back, not sure if this years version has enough new stuff plus it seems it takes a patch or 2 where the new game gets the kinks worked out.  I was also surprised the discount was only $5, not much of an incentive either.

I'm pretty sure they always have a half-price sale somewhere late in the baseball season.  If I get this year's version, it probably won't be until then.

If for some reason they don't follow tradition and do so this year, I'll just wait until next.  I have #14 and it will suffice until then.

Grim.Reaper

My problem is, when I start to see other people playing with a shiny new toy, I will end up breaking down and buying it, not being able to wait for a sale:)

GibbyG

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2014, 05:48:59 AM
Quote from: vyshka on February 15, 2014, 12:25:02 AM
Quote from: CptHowdy on January 27, 2014, 06:53:32 AM
Quote from: spelk on January 27, 2014, 03:27:04 AM
Not necessarily 3d, but some visual representation really helps me to monitor the progress of the game and to encourage an enthusiastic investment in the plays made - rather than just simming it and have the results land. I've been dabbling with Basketball sims recently, and have Basketball Management Pro 2014 on Steam, now whilst the game seems to have an unusual front end - along with long load times, it does have a 2d representation of the game - and it really sucks you in - its reminiscient of the early 2d plays from Football Manager (previously Championship Manager - before its name was stolen away). I've been trying to find another Basketball management game that just has a better slicker interface and a bigger fan community - but I just can't find one that gives you the pleasure of a 2d simulation. :(

This resurgence in sports sims has me dabble in OOTP14 (and I have only  a vague interest in baseball from years ago), along with a search for the similar 2d representation for American Football. Yep, I'm a Brit who prefers American Football to normal football (soccer)! Again, I'm struggling to find an NFL simulator that gives me some visual representation of the plays so I can become more emotionally invested/excited as the game is simmed.

I remember talking with a friend who was involved with Football Manager development, and early on, the general opinion from fans was that they didn't need any graphical cues, because the textual information was enough. Then FM evolved to include 2d representation. The fans opinion being that this was enough to fine tune your team and strategy from the feedback in the 2d plays. FM wasn't going 3d ever, because the fans didn't want it! Now FM has evolved further to take on 3d and I think it doesn't suffer from this level of visual stimuli for the manager. Keep it as a choice and then you won't alienate the different play requirements from your playerbase.

have you checked out wolverine studios? they have pro and college basketball management games. i have version 2 of each but think they are on 3 now. i haven't upgraded as i am just not a basketball guy but i do enjoy the management aspect of the games.

Also Grey Dog Software now sells the Fast Break series which has been around for quite a while.

I actually like the fast break series much better than wolverine....wolverines games always seem unstable and the developer seems to disappear for long periods of time.

Do you know if Grey Dog supports their games?  I popped into the forums and it is really dead.

Grim.Reaper

I have seen support provided mostly in this thread on the fofc forum.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=86920

You can also try the developers primary site

http://fbbgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=22cc4c34dc941c300ecf41ab33d16c87

I don't thing greydog does anything besides sell it....

Grim.Reaper

well, as usual, I caved and pre-ordered....started to play around with version 14 last night and kind of got hooked on it a bit:)  Figured if I was going to buy it anyway, might as well save a few dollars, plus I realized you also get the steam version with it, which I will like for all the patching and such.

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2014, 07:18:40 AM
well, as usual, I caved and pre-ordered....started to play around with version 14 last night and kind of got hooked on it a bit:)  Figured if I was going to buy it anyway, might as well save a few dollars, plus I realized you also get the steam version with it, which I will like for all the patching and such.

One of the great things about OOTP is that you can move your entire current game into the new version. I've done that since OOTP 7 and have never had a problem.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2014, 07:18:40 AM
well, as usual, I caved and pre-ordered....

Good man!   8)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on February 16, 2014, 08:21:53 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2014, 07:18:40 AM
well, as usual, I caved and pre-ordered....started to play around with version 14 last night and kind of got hooked on it a bit:)  Figured if I was going to buy it anyway, might as well save a few dollars, plus I realized you also get the steam version with it, which I will like for all the patching and such.

One of the great things about OOTP is that you can move your entire current game into the new version. I've done that since OOTP 7 and have never had a problem.

I have always been concerned in doing that since how does the older season deal with new features introduced? 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 16, 2014, 08:26:15 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2014, 07:18:40 AM
well, as usual, I caved and pre-ordered....

Good man!   8)

I am just weak:(. Hopefully I at least win the sweepstakes for the iPad:)

PanzersEast

I honestly was disappointed to see only a $5 cut in price, especially since I have purchased every year.  I almost gave in, but have decided to wait and see.



PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 24, 2014, 07:50:01 PM
I honestly was disappointed to see only a $5 cut in price, especially since I have purchased every year.  I almost gave in, but have decided to wait and see.



PE

They always have a mid- or late- season sale.  I think it's during the call-ups or some such seasonal milestone.  Actually, I think there are a couple seasonal events where they put it on sale.  Last year it was half off IIRC.

I'm sure they plan on catching the fence sitters before the end of the season when everyone will start looking forward to next year's.

JudgeDredd

^ yep - a couple of sales each year for the new version and iirc it's half price.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

sandman2575

I thought they did the 50% off sale for 14 as early as the All Star break last year -- of course, my addled mind may be playing tricks on me --

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 25, 2014, 09:41:34 AM
I thought they did the 50% off sale for 14 as early as the All Star break last year -- of course, my addled mind may be playing tricks on me --

Yes, that was one of them!

Nefaro

Now that OOTP is on Steam.. does it still use that damn online activation crap?

Or did they not get OOTP15 on Steam after 14?