CM Red Thunder page is up

Started by undercovergeek, January 30, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

I actually don't understand why you are posting here. It seems to me it's little to do with the game or the mechanics of the game though.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Asid

I joined this forum to discuss war/strategy games with like minded people. I have already had one thread derailed and locked because of personal attacks.

If i wanted drama i would watch tv.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: SgtRock on March 16, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Any difference in LOS rules for the new camera modes (Standard, First Person Shooter, and Real Time Strategy)?

I haven't seen a description of these yet. If anyone else has, I'd be very interested in knowing what the functional differences are.

I can't imagine it would have an effect on how units in the game spot each other.

bayonetbrant

#228
{MOD VOICE ON}

I am locking this thread until after lunchtime EDT on St Patty's Day.

Everyone go have a Killians and come back when you're a little calmer.

If you can't focus on talking about the game instead of each other, we're going to lock the thread permanently and start handing out vacations.


{MOD VOICE OFF}

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I am unlocking this now.

Please try to behave yourselves.

If you're here to talk about the game, then talk about the game.  If you're here to pick fights, let me introduce you the RPFW forum
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

#230
what was the usual release day of Battlefront CM2 titles?  ...is there a pattern?

...i sense a disturbance in the force,  released this very week it could be

Father Ted

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 17, 2014, 08:02:56 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on March 16, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Any difference in LOS rules for the new camera modes (Standard, First Person Shooter, and Real Time Strategy)?

I haven't seen a description of these yet. If anyone else has, I'd be very interested in knowing what the functional differences are.

I can't imagine it would have an effect on how units in the game spot each other.

My reading is that these are new, optional camera control modes, rather than a change in POV.  So, in FPS view, you control the camera with WASD and mouse.

Michael Dorosh

#232
Quote from: MikeGER on March 17, 2014, 12:20:29 PM
what was the usual release day of Battlefront CM2 titles?  ...is there a pattern?

...i sense a disturbance in the force,  released this very week it could be

I have a listing on my website of some key dates for the most recent releases - i.e. day of announcement, day of release, etc. and I don't see any pattern whatsoever. But I'm a dunce at math.

http://tacticalwargamer.com/computergames/combatmission/combatmission.htm

If anyone else sees a pattern, let us know.

For example, the key dates for CM:BN that I managed to glean are:

Game title announced: Thursday, 23 December 2010
Official forum opened Thursday, 23 December 2010
Demo released: Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Download version of game released: Tuesday, 17 May 2011
Commonwealth Forces module released: Monday, 5 March 2012
Updated V1.01 Demo released: Monday, 19 March 2012
V1.10 Patch released: Wednesday, 21 March 2012
V1.11 Patch released: Friday, 7 December 2012
V2.0 Upgrade released: Wednesday, 12 December 2012
V2.01 Patch released: Friday, 15 February 2013
Market Garden module released: Friday, 11 October, 2012
V2.12 Patch released: Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Combat Mission: Fortress Italy key dates:

Game announced: Thursday, 21 June 2012
Game title announced: Thursday, 21 June 2012
Official forum opened Thursday, 21 June 2012
Download version of game released: Wednesday, 2 August 2012
Demo released: Wednesday, 12 September, 2012

Gustav Line Module announced Monday, 18 February 2013
Gustav Line module released: Monday, 20 May 2013
Demo released: Thursday, 20 May 2013




Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Father Ted on March 17, 2014, 01:04:09 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 17, 2014, 08:02:56 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on March 16, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Any difference in LOS rules for the new camera modes (Standard, First Person Shooter, and Real Time Strategy)?

I haven't seen a description of these yet. If anyone else has, I'd be very interested in knowing what the functional differences are.

I can't imagine it would have an effect on how units in the game spot each other.



My reading is that these are new, optional camera control modes, rather than a change in POV.  So, in FPS view, you control the camera with WASD and mouse.

Thanks for this. I remember tooling around the map at ground level in the original trilogy games with the arrow keys, which was a fun thing to do even with the primitive graphics.  You could scope out LOS from ground level, or just "sight-see" some of the maps - or historical locations.

Bletchley_Geek

The lights are still out on Battlefront - totally looks like 'crunch time' to me. I'm hoping they will be publishing the CMRT manual sooner than later - that's quite a flare pointing to impending release.

MikeGER

Bletchley your right  :)
before the manual is not put online, the download is still a week away.
...but will happen shortly after that additional PR-flare we have to wait for ...pressing F5     ;)

taking a look at Michael's data list:

It looks light there is a heavyweight on releasing a Game/Module first half of the week, while patches aggregate to the second half of the week and demos to the middle

The last standalone game Italy took about 6 weeks from announce to release and we just reached that timeframe for RT last Friday
:D

 

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: MikeGER on March 18, 2014, 03:41:50 AM
Bletchley your right  :)
before the manual is not put online, the download is still a week away.
...but will happen shortly after that additional PR-flare we have to wait for ...pressing F5     ;)

taking a look at Michael's data list:

It looks light there is a heavyweight on releasing a Game/Module first half of the week, while patches aggregate to the second half of the week and demos to the middle

The last standalone game Italy took about 6 weeks from announce to release and we just reached that timeframe for RT last Friday
:D

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but this may well be an 8 weeks release. There are some huge features coming in - like triggers, fire and WEGO RT -  and probably those are requiring an extra testing and debugging effort. On the other hand, in the last video by Chris I could appreciate that most of the pieces that make CMRT up are coming together.

Zonso

Yes I would have to agree with that. There are quite a few new features being added, we-go tcp/ip specifically, that likely require extensive play testing before being ready for prime time. Personally It doesn't matter to me much whether it is released now or in two weeks or four weeks; there are a lot of battles unplayed in CMBN and CMFI, and not sure where I would find the time to fit in more anyways. Really not a bad problem to have.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Keunert on March 16, 2014, 02:56:24 PM
in multiplayer the soviets could also be modeled by applying some houserules i imagine. The utterly brilliant Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue is quite a good single player affair, but it helps to add some houserules if you strive for historical accuracy.

This was always the strength of board games like ASL, where "Scenario Special Rules" could be added at will for flavour.

What kind of house rules were you thinking of, and what areas do you feel can be modified?

BFC has been adamant so far that things like order of battle and unit stats, for example, will be hard-coded and untouchable. So while you can pair up things like infantry platoons and tank platoons, you can't alter their internal composition (no having a squad made up of five LMGs for example). Panzer Command went the other way by permitted the xml files to be modified by the user, and dialling up (or down) unit characteristics to taste such as vehicle armour, speed, etc.

I'm guessing you're referring to command and control, command delays, etc.? I'd be interested in hearing more about your proposed house rules.

Redirected

According to Steve, both RT and Black Sea are concurrently nearing finish.  RT being chosen to get the first release.  Supposedly 2014 will see both of these games as well as 'packs' and the rest of ETO.  I don't recall any upgrade schedule for 3.0 for CMBN or CMFI.  I would like to see a 'pack' deal that includes the 3.0.  Something like CW+Pack+3.0 for example.

But, I am pessimistic regarding that schedule.  RT might be in a late tweak phase.  Like many, I am looking forward to the Eastern Front.  I suspect that I will be interested initially in playing the Germans against the AI.  I doubt that the AI would be very effective as the Germans without real tactical limitations on the human.

You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966