CM Red Thunder page is up

Started by undercovergeek, January 30, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Redirected on March 18, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
  Like many, I am looking forward to the Eastern Front.  I suspect that I will be interested initially in playing the Germans against the AI.  I doubt that the AI would be very effective as the Germans without real tactical limitations on the human.

  Yes, the Germans are likely to have a pretty hard time a lot of the time in a game that is derived from events on the Eastern Front that are often called "The Destruction of Army Group Center."  But you have to start somewhere.  I'm just going to go after the AI Germans and the tactical limitations on the human will be my own personal limitations.  Should be fun for a while.

undercovergeek

I'd hold your horses on black sea

RyanE

Quote from: Redirected on March 18, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
According to Steve, both RT and Black Sea are concurrently nearing finish.  RT being chosen to get the first release.  Supposedly 2014 will see both of these games as well as 'packs' and the rest of ETO.  I don't recall any upgrade schedule for 3.0 for CMBN or CMFI.  I would like to see a 'pack' deal that includes the 3.0.  Something like CW+Pack+3.0 for example.

But, I am pessimistic regarding that schedule.  RT might be in a late tweak phase.  Like many, I am looking forward to the Eastern Front.  I suspect that I will be interested initially in playing the Germans against the AI.  I doubt that the AI would be very effective as the Germans without real tactical limitations on the human.

Steve stated on the BFC forum that 3.0 upgrades will be two months after the release of RT.

SgtRock

Quote from: Redirected on March 18, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
According to Steve, both RT and Black Sea are concurrently nearing finish.  RT being chosen to get the first release.  Supposedly 2014 will see both of these games as well as 'packs' and the rest of ETO.  I don't recall any upgrade schedule for 3.0 for CMBN or CMFI.  I would like to see a 'pack' deal that includes the 3.0.  Something like CW+Pack+3.0 for example.

But, I am pessimistic regarding that schedule.  RT might be in a late tweak phase.  Like many, I am looking forward to the Eastern Front.  I suspect that I will be interested initially in playing the Germans against the AI.  I doubt that the AI would be very effective as the Germans without real tactical limitations on the human.

I even saw some talk of upgrading CM Shock Force to 3.O, that was a surprise, considering they are going to release a new modern warfare game. If they do I they change the QB to allow player selection of forces and don't update the DRM to CMFI levels.


Ubercat

Quote from: SgtRock on March 18, 2014, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: Redirected on March 18, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
According to Steve, both RT and Black Sea are concurrently nearing finish.  RT being chosen to get the first release.  Supposedly 2014 will see both of these games as well as 'packs' and the rest of ETO.  I don't recall any upgrade schedule for 3.0 for CMBN or CMFI.  I would like to see a 'pack' deal that includes the 3.0.  Something like CW+Pack+3.0 for example.

But, I am pessimistic regarding that schedule.  RT might be in a late tweak phase.  Like many, I am looking forward to the Eastern Front.  I suspect that I will be interested initially in playing the Germans against the AI.  I doubt that the AI would be very effective as the Germans without real tactical limitations on the human.

I even saw some talk of upgrading CM Shock Force to 3.O, that was a surprise, considering they are going to release a new modern warfare game. If they do I they change the QB to allow player selection of forces and don't update the DRM to CMFI levels.


Would they jump straight to 3.0, or charge for multiple patches to extract more $$ from their customers?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

SgtRock

Any CM2 game upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 has a price normally of $10. So if you want to upgrade CMBN & CMFI  to 3.0 when available it will cost around $20 total. I understand when CMRT is released, Battlefront will no longer sell CMBN 1.0.




Redirected

#246
I forget the particulars but I think that the CMSF 'project' is a sort of redux.  Not really bringing it up to 3.0 but applying the improvements from the later products the best they can since the CMSF code is old.  Basically, BF is showing that the CMSF product-line (a seller) is not forgotten.  Nor that it isn't a market.

I think they are still weighing the amount of work needed vs. the potential payoff.  A possible potential payoff is people that never bought into it becoming buyers now.  The reason being the cost might be attractive.
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

Elvis

Quote from: Redirected on March 16, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 16, 2014, 10:34:56 AM


I note in some of the AAR screenshots, there are 'straggler' units identified in the interface, so we shall wait and see. I remember in Close Combat that sometimes individual guys would split off of squads and you would lose control of them. A feature like that would be interesting, though perhaps mildly controversial. Players hate losing control.

Stragglers are a unit type.  Made of Stragglers.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113402&page=11

Edit:
Quote
  #112 
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:22 PM
ChrisND  ChrisND is offline
Administrator
   
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,193
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat-Hans  View Post
Which equipment and weapons does straggler groups have? How many men per group? Ammo??
A full strength Straggler Group formation is about 200 soldiers, most of whom are armed with Kar.98s and a few SMGs, x4 LMGs, and x2 HMGs. They can also carry panzerfausts.

I don't believe they carry PF according to Elvis' statements in the thread.

Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.





Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Elvis on March 19, 2014, 11:53:19 AM
Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.

A few more ifs there come to mind.

If your AI-controlled troops were brave enough to use them.

If your troops had been deployed by you in the woods in a position to use them.

If BilH didn't react promptly once the threat had been realized and just blow away the infantry. Probably the biggest if.

I suppose the best way to quiet some of the "what ifs" would be to just ask him for a public rematch. I have to believe there would be a large appetite for such an endeavour. In fact, use the same map and parameters, but switch sides. We used to do that with QBs in CMX1 all the time. I think it would be a great way of allowing your respective strengths and skill sets to shine through.


Redirected


Quote
Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.

I just wonder why they don't have them.  Panzerfaust 30 and 30k would be common enough by the summer of 1944.  I would assume that 'Stragglers' are patched together combat units and not some hodgepodge of rear echelon types.

When you buy the Straggler unit, it does not include panzershreck either? 
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

SgtRock

Quote from: Redirected on March 19, 2014, 03:06:34 PM

Quote
Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.

I just wonder why they don't have them.  Panzerfaust 30 and 30k would be common enough by the summer of 1944.  I would assume that 'Stragglers' are patched together combat units and not some hodgepodge of rear echelon types.

When you buy the Straggler unit, it does not include panzershreck either?

One would guest Straggle units would be way down on the list of units getting refit & resupply, Germany had a wee bit of a supply issue in the summer of 1944 with both East & West fronts under heavy allied assault.

Elvis

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 19, 2014, 02:41:21 PM
Quote from: Elvis on March 19, 2014, 11:53:19 AM
Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.

A few more ifs there come to mind.

If your AI-controlled troops were brave enough to use them.

If your troops had been deployed by you in the woods in a position to use them.

If BilH didn't react promptly once the threat had been realized and just blow away the infantry. Probably the biggest if.

I suppose the best way to quiet some of the "what ifs" would be to just ask him for a public rematch. I have to believe there would be a large appetite for such an endeavour. In fact, use the same map and parameters, but switch sides. We used to do that with QBs in CMX1 all the time. I think it would be a great way of allowing your respective strengths and skill sets to shine through.

The first two ifs were meant to be implied by my comments of never dreaming he would rush down there unprotected like he did. If I thought that would happen I would have broken off AT teams and set them up with the HQ near enough to retain C2. I adjusted most of my troops during the purchase to make sure they were at least regular units with decent morale. I used the few left over points that I had to reach exactly my 2500 purchase points.

The third if....I doubt he would have been able to much of anything but kill the teams after they had done whatever initial damage they were able to do. Which would have been fine because by then they would have already served their purpose.

Even if I had them I doubt I would have had any thought that he would do a move like that, so it's kinda moot.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: SgtRock on March 19, 2014, 03:29:16 PM
One would guest Straggle units would be way down on the list of units getting refit & resupply, Germany had a wee bit of a supply issue in the summer of 1944 with both East & West fronts under heavy allied assault.

I'm not sure this is accurate. The Wehrmacht's supply system never stopped working. Units in the field were obviously able to continue resistance to the very end. I'm sure there were local shortages, most likely acute when formations were cut off. There is no doubt that the quality of items declined sharply during the war. Uniforms were made from wood fibre, Mauser K98s produced without bayonet lugs and fewer twists in the rifling to conserve metal and simplify production, etc. (not to mention greater instances of sabotage by the slave labour who was making the stuff). But as for actual shortages or an inability to move supplies to the front - other than the well-documented Allied air superiority, the Germans did relatively well to move munitions, food and supplies to their front line units. Artillery ammunition was probably one item always in short supply but the Germans came more and more to rely on medium mortars to make up shortfalls of heavier guns.

I think the Germans may actually have had, ironically, poorer logistic support for their troops in the first months of Barbarossa. Railways were of the wrong gauge, no winter clothing had been prepared, anti-tank weapons were at a premium, etc.

Elvis

Almost forgot......

Rematch? I'd definitely do one..... but no time soon. They are very time consuming. And looking at Bil's,  I'm not sure where he had the free time to make the nice presentations that he did.

Redirected

Quote from: SgtRock on March 19, 2014, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: Redirected on March 19, 2014, 03:06:34 PM

Quote
Correct on both counts. I wasn't convinced fausts would have done me much good until Bil ran his T34s down the road. Had I anticipated that and had a couple of fausts there to greet him, it would thrown a real monkey wrench into his game.

I just wonder why they don't have them.  Panzerfaust 30 and 30k would be common enough by the summer of 1944.  I would assume that 'Stragglers' are patched together combat units and not some hodgepodge of rear echelon types.

When you buy the Straggler unit, it does not include panzershreck either?

One would guest Straggle units would be way down on the list of units getting refit & resupply, Germany had a wee bit of a supply issue in the summer of 1944 with both East & West fronts under heavy allied assault.
Perhaps but that is not known by someone doing a qb selection.  i believe Elvis had no idea until after making the selection regarding what of they had.
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966