CM Red Thunder page is up

Started by undercovergeek, January 30, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Redirected

Quote from: RyanE on March 20, 2014, 01:17:06 PM
What has it got do with marketing.  It doesn't cost them anything.  In fact, I imagine it costs them more to build all the rules and locks around units.  CMSF's OOB management was horrendous.  To this date QBs really don't work because you can't adjust units.

Why would marketing play a role.  It shouldn't push people away if they loosened up the rules.  In fact, it might actually get people to play more.  Unless you mean negative marketing, then I agree.

I never said it was any good at all.  I contend it backfired with CMFI.  If they did not make CMFI a stand alone 'family', and just had it as an extension of 'ETO' (CMBN), I would think the sales of CMFI and Gustov would have been better. 

I think the Eastern Front is going to be more of the same.  that is, Families and Modules and these 'packs' I keep hearing about.

They made a big deal about CW and MG and how to handle the 'shared' units.  For someone that claims he doesn't like micromanagement in gameplay, Steve sure likes his micromanagement in Product Management!

In any case, the demo management has a backlog? CMBN is not a 2.0 demo?  Perhaps it will skip over that and be a 3.0 demo.  Market Garden has no demo yet is probably the best of the CMBN 'family'.  CMFI demo won't work for some people...It just seems that the whole 'Family' product management and Marketing scheme has not panned out and makes more work and also delays product.
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

Tuna

Well that's a different issue.. Yes you have the base game and all the rest really should've been expansions, but I just stayed clear of CMFI for that reason.

But not letting people choose what they want for Quick Battles, just hurts the appeal..

I remember my first or 2nd battle with Con, I was like.. where did I get all these friggin trucks!!!

You have to 'search' to fine the unit you want.. then when you finally find it, you have to delete a ton of crap that comes with it, so you stay within your buying power..

z1812

#272
Quote from: Redirected on March 20, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
It just seems that the whole 'Family' product management and Marketing scheme has not panned out and makes more work and also delays product.

1. Battlefront have 2 upcoming titles planned. CMRT being one. They will have an update to CMSF as well.

2. Their forums are well visited.

3. Every time I visit the BF forum there seem to be new people who are posting and interested.

4. They have a loyal following of customers.

5. Over the past few years they have increased their staff.

The points above indicate a company that is doing quite well.........but in any endeavour, you won't please everyone.

Cyrano

I'm a self-advertised fanboi, but I'll wager dollars against donuts that Steve just doesn't like cherry-picked QBs.  In fact, my increasingly-senile mind holds a memory or two that he posted as much in the run-up to CM:SF which, it will be recalled, still doesn't have cherry-picking as an option.

Sometimes one must abandon prejudices in the face of the market, but this is a bunch of fellers that have done it their own way for a while and have remained successful at it.  It's one of the reasons they still don't have persistent, core-unit campaigns, either.  They find them unrealistic and a bit silly.

Now their inability to hammer out full-game replay...that's just a shame.  Some way to print out planning maps -- topo maps since I'm wishing here -- would be cool, too.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

CMSF has persistent core unit campaigns. And the losses carry over until the end of the campaign without reinforcement. Really frustrating.

You mean they got rid of that in CMBN and the rest?

Zonso

Like Cyrano, I seem to recall the same about Steve's perception about QB's and a seeming reluctance at the time to put much effort into it. I never play QBs, but I thought they had returned ala CMx1 with the new WWII games?

Elvis

Quote from: z1812 on March 20, 2014, 08:17:05 PM
Quote from: Redirected on March 20, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
It just seems that the whole 'Family' product management and Marketing scheme has not panned out and makes more work and also delays product.

1. Battlefront have 2 upcoming titles planned. CMRT being one. They will have an update to CMSF as well.

2. Their forums are well visited.

3. Every time I visit the BF forum there seem to be new people who are posting and interested.

4. They have a loyal following of customers.

5. Over the past few years they have increased their staff.

The points above indicate a company that is doing quite well.........but in any endeavour, you won't please everyone.

I was thinking the same things. And I would add, they have used this model for long enough now that if it wasn't working for them they would have abandoned by now and begun working on a new system.

Zonso

Quote from: z1812 on March 20, 2014, 08:17:05 PM
Quote from: Redirected on March 20, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
It just seems that the whole 'Family' product management and Marketing scheme has not panned out and makes more work and also delays product.

1. Battlefront have 2 upcoming titles planned. CMRT being one. They will have an update to CMSF as well.

2. Their forums are well visited.

3. Every time I visit the BF forum there seem to be new people who are posting and interested.

4. They have a loyal following of customers.

5. Over the past few years they have increased their staff.

The points above indicate a company that is doing quite well.........but in any endeavour, you won't please everyone.

Yes, I agree totally. All the signs indicate a thriving, successful company. You need to keep in mind these are the rehashed, tired arguments from the transplanted posters - thewood, Lewis, Dorosh - from the terminally ill GS forum.

Redirected

Quote from: z1812 on March 20, 2014, 08:17:05 PM
Quote from: Redirected on March 20, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
It just seems that the whole 'Family' product management and Marketing scheme has not panned out and makes more work and also delays product.

1. Battlefront have 2 upcoming titles planned. CMRT being one. They will have an update to CMSF as well.

2. Their forums are well visited.

3. Every time I visit the BF forum there seem to be new people who are posting and interested.

4. They have a loyal following of customers.

5. Over the past few years they have increased their staff.

The points above indicate a company that is doing quite well.........but in any endeavour, you won't please everyone.

Not sure how these points relate to the quote...but they are interesting.

1.  The upcoming titles are both 'Family Starters'.  So, yes, they will continue with the compartmentalization of product.

2.  Forum visitation depends on the forum.  And the history of the forums.  My subjective view is that it isn't what it was but it doesn't really matter.

3.  People should be interested.  Interested in the products and the development.  But even Steve claims that its a small percentage of customers that post.  Who knows?

4.  They have a loyal following.  And a captive market.  There really is no competition for CM.  What you are saying is just some old spin.  Take a fresh look.

5.  They have increased the staff.  They should.  They keep forecasting releases and products and there is a captive market that wants to buy them
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

Grim.Reaper

Bringing it back to the game......manual has been posted at BF.  That usually is a sign of pending release in the near future.

http://www.battlefront.com/

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 02, 2014, 02:43:22 PM
Bringing it back to the game......manual has been posted at BF.  That usually is a sign of pending release in the near future.

http://www.battlefront.com/

Interesting - according to the manual, one of the 3.0 changes is that WEGO TCP/IP is in, but no ability to replay turns. I can't recall now, it has been so long - was this ability there in the original?

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 02, 2014, 02:43:22 PM
Bringing it back to the game......manual has been posted at BF.  That usually is a sign of pending release in the near future.

http://www.battlefront.com/

  Looks great.  Warning FANBOI comments follow:

  Looks like another great CM game.  Hope it arrives soon.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 02, 2014, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 02, 2014, 02:43:22 PM
Bringing it back to the game......manual has been posted at BF.  That usually is a sign of pending release in the near future.

http://www.battlefront.com/

Interesting - according to the manual, one of the 3.0 changes is that WEGO TCP/IP is in, but no ability to replay turns. I can't recall now, it has been so long - was this ability there in the original?

Anyone?

I seem to recall that it was. I have fond memories of WEGO TCP games. Not a big deal for me personally either way as I suspect my WEGO days are firmly behind me. Good news that this functionality has returned - but too bad that rewind is not available, or perhaps, simply not yet. Seems like an odd technical hang-up.

The manual maddeningly has no details of the new triggers and editor upgrades so will wait and see. I did like the brief historical write-ups.

Sir Slash

I saw that too. I'm not really sure what it means but it sounds like version 3.0 can play WEGO but not replay the turns. I wonder what the reason could be for the change? Or is it only a temporary glitch to get us to buy 3.1. I personally will skip this game if they take away the ability to rewind and replay the turns.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 03, 2014, 10:55:12 AM
I saw that too. I'm not really sure what it means but it sounds like version 3.0 can play WEGO but not replay the turns. I wonder what the reason could be for the change? Or is it only a temporary glitch to get us to buy 3.1. I personally will skip this game if they take away the ability to rewind and replay the turns.

  As I understand it, WEGO PBEM is the same as it was.  WEGO TCP/IP will exist (whereas before it did not), but there will be no replay.