Beyond the Sideline Football: American Football Career Game (OOTP)

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 30, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2014, 03:33:57 PM
Those were the days when you had choices:(

No kidding. That was back around when I worked at Babbage's, then Electronics Boutique (1988-1990).

There were a couple of older football titles I recall - I don't know if you mentioned one of them, but one I do recall had you, say, playing as a WR and you'd have the POV of the receiver, so you'd have to move your joystick in a certain direction a certain number of times to run the route correctly. If you were too slow or too quick, you'd miss.

BTW, sorry to derail the thread with FOOTBALL talk and not puns or bewbs.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 17, 2014, 04:55:24 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2014, 03:33:57 PM
Those were the days when you had choices:(

No kidding. That was back around when I worked at Babbage's, then Electronics Boutique (1988-1990).

There were a couple of older football titles I recall - I don't know if you mentioned one of them, but one I do recall had you, say, playing as a WR and you'd have the POV of the receiver, so you'd have to move your joystick in a certain direction a certain number of times to run the route correctly. If you were too slow or too quick, you'd miss.

BTW, sorry to derail the thread with FOOTBALL talk and not puns or bewbs.

Wasn't it TV sports football

http://www.cinemaware.com/portfolioentry/tv-sports-football/

BanzaiCat

No, that's not it - this one was pretty lame, actually. I've tried Googling it for the last few minutes but can't find it. I remember it being at Babbage's in 1988 but want to say it was old by that point.


BanzaiCat

Wow, that's a nice list you found there, Grim Reaper. Thanks!

I'm not seeing it though. But then again some of the titles don't have any info either. Ah well, thanks for the list though, that was a nice read through. Amazes me how many football games there were back in the day. Now, not so much.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 17, 2014, 06:01:26 PM
Wow, that's a nice list you found there, Grim Reaper. Thanks!

I'm not seeing it though. But then again some of the titles don't have any info either. Ah well, thanks for the list though, that was a nice read through. Amazes me how many football games there were back in the day. Now, not so much.

Yeah, was amazed on how many...I can picture the game you mean, used to have to run precise steps and you looked out their helmet...just can't recall the name, pretty sure it started with a 'g'

Grim.Reaper

Really think this was it...this info is Atari details but was also released for commodore...has n the helmet experience.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-gfl-championship-football_9436.html

BanzaiCat

Maybe it was. I played it on a PC though, at the store, and it was pretty crappy even by those days' standards. No doubt a PC port of an Amiga product would have suffered by comparison though.

Nefaro

Heh.

I played the very first Madden Football on my C64 back in the 80s.   Before that, there was some other football game which was mostly just monochrome lines in 2D.  But you could draw up your own plays in that game (from scratch!), which was something amazing back then even if it may have not always worked so smoothly.

BanzaiCat

LOL. This was my first football game:



My first 'real' computer football game was this, though:



Good times.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2014, 03:33:57 PM
Yep, 4th and inches was one of the first football games that I played, not on an Atari:)

XOR Football
Madden Football
Super Bowl Sunday
4th and Inches
Microleague Football
Front Page Football
Pro League Football (also had a college version)
Joe Montana Football
Tom Laundry Football
etc....

Those were the days when you had choices:(

XOR NFL Challenge!!!!

I don't think I've played a better sim since this . What did it last until, about 89? Why can't they make a game as simple as this with those wonderful X's and O's.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

reapagan

You guys know that Font Page Football 98 is still the best simulation of football ever made.  Somehow the way that the player ratings combine make the players almost frighteningly human.  You can still find a lot of the mod stuff that people made for salary cap, roster management, etc on line.  Graphics wise it's kind of dated but as far as making plays, team management and league management it is the best.  Runs on win7 as well.  Although I am looking forward to see what Beyond The Sideline has to offer.   

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: reapagan on February 18, 2014, 02:26:23 PM
You guys know that Font Page Football 98 is still the best simulation of football ever made.  Somehow the way that the player ratings combine make the players almost frighteningly human.  You can still find a lot of the mod stuff that people made for salary cap, roster management, etc on line.  Graphics wise it's kind of dated but as far as making plays, team management and league management it is the best.  Runs on win7 as well.  Although I am looking forward to see what Beyond The Sideline has to offer.   

Is it cheaply still available to purchase from anywhere?

KyzBP

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 18, 2014, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: reapagan on February 18, 2014, 02:26:23 PM
You guys know that Font Page Football 98 is still the best simulation of football ever made.  Somehow the way that the player ratings combine make the players almost frighteningly human.  You can still find a lot of the mod stuff that people made for salary cap, roster management, etc on line.  Graphics wise it's kind of dated but as far as making plays, team management and league management it is the best.  Runs on win7 as well.  Although I am looking forward to see what Beyond The Sideline has to offer.   

Is it cheaply still available to purchase from anywhere?

I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Page-Sports-Football-Pro-98-PC-Game-CD-ROM-in-Jewel-Case-with-Artwork-/201026021826?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2ece15a9c2

I own 2 each of the 97 and 98.  I haven't played them in a long while but I seem to remember liking the 97 version better.

reapagan

Looks like it's available pretty readily for $10 to $15 on amazon or ebay used. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahP9cwAPHk is a you tube link for gameplay, like I said old but effective.  League play is deep and it has the best playmaking editor.