Steel Beasts Pro Players?

Started by Tomlok, February 18, 2014, 09:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 02:41:19 AM
Some recent brief discussion on SB Pro and watching some vids (from Krause) has me beginning to crack.  Especially since there was some mention of low cost Dongle replacements if they blow up on you.  This makes me think of it more akin to a CD/DVD-ROM, so it's easier to justify the expense if we can get a replacement without re-purchasing.

Now I just have to get over the price hump.  I may consider it next month.  What I wouldn't want to see is purchasing it and then a new version coming out shortly afterward, ending up having to spend more on an upgrade when I could've just waited a bit.   Not really sure how to gauge that.  I suppose it will take some research on their sales policies and whether something big is near?

Vids like this multi-player session are really convincing, however:

 

I really love to play Sims of all kinds.  Flight sims are great fun but the plethora of extra hardware I have to find space on the desk for, and put on, isn't always ideal for my mood.  This looks like something I could play with mouse, keyboard, and headset as opposed to a big spread of hardware laying about.

The analogy to having a physical cd is a good one.....the dongle really is no different than that since if you lose a cd that is required in the drive to play the game, same result.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 16, 2014, 03:35:44 AM
One question - do they have playable Challengers and Leopards?

Take a look at this link and down to the bottom where they have links to in game tanks....lists different variants of the ones you questioned.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 16, 2014, 05:16:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on July 16, 2014, 02:58:36 AM
Oh another problem with SB Pro is that major patches/upgrades cost money. So I'm now several patches behind as I don't really buy every one of them. Wonder how this affects multiplayer (I don't know since I don't do MP).

To the best of my knowledge you only pay for major upgrades, not patches for example when version 3.0 came out and it is at an upgrade price.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me since no different than other games out there that releases new versions.  There aren't many games if any that give you totally free upgrades when a new version comes out.  I don't believe the major release are that frequent at all.  They definitely don't charge for patches.

Don't forget they do have a subscription based buying model now that does not require a dongle and also gets you all new versions free while subscription is active.  You can pay by month (something like $9) or by year for about $39.  This way you don't have to pay the initial $115 up front and any major upgrades that come out you dont pay.  It seems like a good model for people who may not be 100% sure they will like the game.  You could buy the one month option and then if you like could by annual or dongle version. 

jomni

#18
Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 03:04:44 AM
Quote from: jomni on July 16, 2014, 02:58:36 AM
Oh another problem with SB Pro is that major patches/upgrades cost money. So I'm now several patches behind as I don't really buy every one of them. Wonder how this affects multiplayer (I don't know since I don't do MP).

That's another Con that still keeps me on the fence.  How often does this happen?  Do these paid updates actually include a lot of new content or are they mostly just patches??

I'm sure you cannot play MP with other people using different versions, of course.

Recent paid upgrades have substantial additional content.  It's worth it and definitely not frequent to be annoying.
But I didn't bite because I don't play this a lot.

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: jomni on July 16, 2014, 02:58:36 AM
Oh another problem with SB Pro is that major patches/upgrades cost money. So I'm now several patches behind as I don't really buy every one of them. Wonder how this affects multiplayer (I don't know since I don't do MP).

You have to be on the same version number. If you have V3 which is the latest release then all patches have been free so far. It is on V3.011 and there is a beta 3.019 (both free). You can install the release version and add the beta files(approx 20mb). This allows you to choose what version to run. Simple and effective. When a game is being launched you are made aware of version (2 to choose from) either beta or release.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 02:41:19 AM
Some recent brief discussion on SB Pro and watching some vids (from Krause) has me beginning to crack.  Especially since there was some mention of low cost Dongle replacements if they blow up on you.  This makes me think of it more akin to a CD/DVD-ROM, so it's easier to justify the expense if we can get a replacement without re-purchasing.


If you send your damaged usb dongle to Esim they will replace it for approx $30 i believe.


Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 02:41:19 AM

Now I just have to get over the price hump.  I may consider it next month.  What I wouldn't want to see is purchasing it and then a new version coming out shortly afterward, ending up having to spend more on an upgrade when I could've just waited a bit.   Not really sure how to gauge that.  I suppose it will take some research on their sales policies and whether something big is near?


The next paid update is in late summer 2015.I believe could be between $25-$40. If you go for a time limited license the update is included so no extra to pay.


Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 02:41:19 AM

I really love to play Sims of all kinds.  Flight sims are great fun but the plethora of extra hardware I have to find space on the desk for, and put on, isn't always ideal for my mood.  This looks like something I could play with mouse, keyboard, and headset as opposed to a big spread of hardware laying about.

I play on line quite a bit and chat to many SB players. They all have keyboard & mouse some use a joystick. Most prefer mouse.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

So monthly cost is circa $9? $108 a year. That could work out expensive if it gets used. On the other hand - what about paid upgrades on top of the base game? And then damaged dongle (do you need the dongle for the monthly subscription option?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Asid

#23
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 16, 2014, 10:51:27 AM
So monthly cost is circa $9? $108 a year. That could work out expensive if it gets used. On the other hand - what about paid upgrades on top of the base game? And then damaged dongle (do you need the dongle for the monthly subscription option?

Heres the official site that you can purchase from http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1361

1 Month = $9.50
4 Months = $24.50
One year = $39.50

But unlike the dongle these licenses are limited to a single pc. Also if the license is valid during the release of a paid update (approx once every 18 months) then you will not have to pay extra. Your license will allow you to use the current version. Just download the update and you are good to go.

Monthly subscription has NO dongle. The security is software based.

Base with dongle is = $115 and paid updates are $25 - $40 (approx every 18 months) all other updates are free.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Skoop

#24
To answer some questions:

There is a playable chally 2, all the weapon systems fully modeled, i think the 3d interior is still a wip.  The Uhlan ifv is used in the place of the warrior.  There is a UK armor vu that is pretty active playing these vehicles.

The way the pricing works is if you are starting from scatch, the base game is usually between 100 to 120 usd, then what ever the latest paid upgrade version cost is which could be between 30 to 60 usd dependent on amount of content and dev time. (These aren't exact prices I'm just giving you an idea)

If you bought the base game years ago and ate the original hundred dollar cost, then lost touch with the game and missed several paid upgrades, if you buy the 3.0 upgrade you only pay for 3.0 but you get all the content previous released by paid upgrade... So you saved some money by skipping those.

One key feature you might not be aware of that has helped sp for me is the addition of save games in progress, so those 3 hour mega scenarios are now doable.

Asid

Quote from: Skoop on July 16, 2014, 11:48:23 AM
There is a UK armor vu that is pretty active playing these vehicles.


I regularly play with UK Armour. They meet every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday 20:00 GMT+1

They operate as the Soviet VU on a Monday with Soviet doctrine, equipment and tactics.

All are welcome

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: Skoop on July 16, 2014, 11:48:23 AM
To answer some questions:
latest paid upgrade version cost is which could be between 30 to 60 usd dependent on amount of content and dev time. (These aren't exact prices I'm just giving you an idea)

I believe $40 was the highest and you got quite a lot of new content and engine upgrades for that.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

Zoinks!

You mean it's $110 for the original version AND another $30 to $40 for the upgrade?!

Hrmm.. this is even more expensive than I had originally thought.  :idiot2:

Skoop

That's if you want to own it for ever, you can get a temp licenses for cheap to try it.  You'd have to look at the esim site to get the exact pricing.

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 12:24:42 PM
Zoinks!

You mean it's $110 for the original version AND another $30 to $40 for the upgrade?!

Hrmm.. this is even more expensive than I had originally thought.  :idiot2:

It is $115 for the life time license. For this you get the dongle which allows you to play on any pc you have installed on. You will have to pay for MAJOR updates. However they are only every 18 months approximately and you get a lot of new content you never originally had. Engine updates and vehicles etc. All other fixes and patches and betas are free.

Or

You can buy the time limited license. There are no paid updates for this type of license. They are free.

The paid update gives you extra content and improvements. Many of you pay for DLC do you not?

As for the $115 price tag. Yes it is comparatively high but many people have played this sim for years and continue to do so. How many other sims/games can make that claim? The $9.50 license is there for people who are not sure about committing.

The community is on the whole more mature than most online communities.

I have it and do NOT regret it.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying