Main Menu

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Started by bob48, February 23, 2014, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 07, 2014, 04:07:49 AM

Yeah I suppose you're right. The time acceleration helps. And personally I just need to have the External Camera available to enhance my experience, eventhough it's not very realistic. :)
Some mods prevent you to, though, for the sake of realism. But I rather prefer realism to only affect enironmental effects, systems, weapons and stuff. Not view settings. At least not in a Sub sim.

TMO has the text edit to restore the external views in a modded SH4.  I also tweak a couple other things (lowering Aircraft generation for one IIRC) while I'm editing such things.  But I've been considering revisiting SH5 recently since I haven't played it all that much.  Will probably just have to bite the bullet and use someone else's Mega-Mod (Soup) just to cut down on the lengthy and frustrating mod process.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 06, 2014, 05:49:48 PM
The core mechanics of the sim (flying and fighting) are very good.  The feeling of flight is well done, the level of detail in the damage modelling is insane, and the faithfulness with which the devs reproduced the cockpits and the functionality of each plane is admirable but it's not enough to make it a good game.  If all you want to do is fire it up and run some quick dogfights, it's well done.  If you're looking for a good campaign based single player experience, steer well clear of this turkey.

  You're right about CLoD still having lots of problems.  Still it is worth a look with the TF mod and for 10 bucks.  I was pleasantly surprised, but then mostly I set up battles based on situations either from real events or from playing The Burning Blue.

  Fortunately, BoS seems determined to avoid the mistakes of CLoD, and though it may not look quite as amazing, I'm pretty sure it will be a much better game.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on May 07, 2014, 08:49:13 AM


  Fortunately, BoS seems determined to avoid the mistakes of CLoD, and though it may not look quite as amazing, I'm pretty sure it will be a much better game.

I'm keeping an eye on it simply because the ROF crew are the ones developing it.  Not sure if that means it'll be a DLC-fest or not.  I suppose it's alright if the core game comes with a good range of flyable a/c. 

Speaking of ROF.. I just re-calibrated my HOTAS stick in Windows and that helped a bit with the joystick range.  It now recognizes most of my joystick range.  Pretty sure I had calibrated it before but I must've unplugged it at some point *shrug*.  As a result, my stick is less 'jerky' in ROF now that it's being fully accounted for.  There's still a little tweaking to do but it's not as bad as before.  Perhaps some of the others having similar problems with the stick sensitivities should try calibrating again before giving it another go?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Flight simmers are amazingly adept at eating their own. 

There's quite the little spaz fest on the BOS forum at SimHQ right now.  One poster is upset that the BOS devs have removed the ability to use the emergency canopy jettison function from German planes as it was present in earlier versions of the game.  You can still open the canopy and it'll rip off if you're above 190 kph so I personally don't see what the big deal is but this has turned into a giant shitstorm.  One of the devs said that they're not trying to make a detailed study sim like DCS and their design philosophy is that they want to give the feel of flying and fighting over Stalingrad. 

The dev made the mistake of saying "more buttons to push equals lower sales" and the hardest of the hardcore sim crowd lost their shit.  They're frothing at the keyboard and accusing the devs of turning the game into air-quake.  Some are unhappy that there aren't separate buttons for "gear up" and "gear down" instead of the single "toggle gear" button that exists now.  Others are demanding CLOD level complex engine management modelling and more.  It's quite the little spectacle with drama queens demanding refunds, threatening to sue, taking their ball and going home (only to log in under a sock puppet and continue the argument), and the like.  I half expect some of them are fainting onto their swooning divans, fans aflutter.



MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 07, 2014, 10:22:58 AM
Flight simmers are amazingly adept at eating their own. 

There's quite the little spaz fest on the BOS forum at SimHQ right now.  One poster is upset that the BOS devs have removed the ability to use the emergency canopy jettison function from German planes as it was present in earlier versions of the game.  You can still open the canopy and it'll rip off if you're above 190 kph so I personally don't see what the big deal is but this has turned into a giant shitstorm.  One of the devs said that they're not trying to make a detailed study sim like DCS and their design philosophy is that they want to give the feel of flying and fighting over Stalingrad. 

The dev made the mistake of saying "more buttons to push equals lower sales" and the hardest of the hardcore sim crowd lost their shit.  They're frothing at the keyboard and accusing the devs of turning the game into air-quake.  Some are unhappy that there aren't separate buttons for "gear up" and "gear down" instead of the single "toggle gear" button that exists now.  Others are demanding CLOD level complex engine management modelling and more.  It's quite the little spectacle with drama queens demanding refunds, threatening to sue, taking their ball and going home (only to log in under a sock puppet and continue the argument), and the like.  I half expect some of them are fainting onto their swooning divans, fans aflutter.

Quite a spectacle.  I must go look!  But first I'll check the BoS forum, which tends to cater to a more jaded crew.  Like me I guess.  I'm never sure about most of the buttons in a Flight sim and I usually have trouble bailing out: is it  e e e? in this game or what?  Recently I was in a Hurricane with the engine starting to fall apart (in CLoD) and I was planning to bail out as soon as i was over England.  But CLoD has that canopy jettison thing and I forgot the button so i had to dive, straighten out, find a spot, pop the flaps and land.  Which went okay, but I looked up the button and wrote it down for quick reference before i flew again.
I guess I don't mind lots of buttons, but I do approve of the BoS approach: avoid CloD-like or DCS-like excessive piddly stuff that doesn't add anything worthwhile to the game experience.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Too late.  The SimHQ mods deleted the thread.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 07, 2014, 11:24:50 AM
Too late.  The SimHQ mods deleted the thread.

  Oh man!  I just love crazed I-need-more-buttons rants.  I was wondering why I saw no trace of it.  It sounds like it was
and interesting variation on "clickable cockpits"...which seems to have faded out of late.  Whereas there was a time when
that was what showed a sim was really serious, now people will settle for buttons.  I guess that is a positive step.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on May 07, 2014, 10:49:42 AM

I guess I don't mind lots of buttons, but I do approve of the BoS approach: avoid CloD-like or DCS-like excessive piddly stuff that doesn't add anything worthwhile to the game experience.

Same.

Don't need the dull minutae to enjoy a good flight sim.  I'd rather they put more time into the campaign system rather than adding fuel cock levers.

Tuna

Enjoying FSX.. I like the click able cockpits.. I love DCS A-10.. it's a beast to learn, but once you do, you get a sense of accomplishment.. lol. thing that stinks though is if you don't fly for awhile you have to learn all over again. But DCS also has planes that you don't have click away Flaming Cliffs.. I think it's great to have both styles to please both crowds.

jomni

#39
Quote from: MengJiao on May 07, 2014, 11:34:47 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 07, 2014, 11:24:50 AM
Too late.  The SimHQ mods deleted the thread.

  Oh man!  I just love crazed I-need-more-buttons rants.  I was wondering why I saw no trace of it.  It sounds like it was
and interesting variation on "clickable cockpits"...which seems to have faded out of late.  Whereas there was a time when
that was what showed a sim was really serious, now people will settle for buttons.  I guess that is a positive step.


If the sim is to be deep and "real-world-accurate".  I prefer click-able cockpit because what is more real than pressing a button that is placed where it should be in real life?  Also I don't need to memorize the keys.  Just know where the button is and press away.  The next step to reality is if you have the actual physical cockpit and assign the function to a tactile switch (not a keyboard command).

If the sim is to be a bit light.  Then keyboard buttons are fine.  As I mentioned before, I didn't like the old IL-2 with so many functions and not enough buttons on the keyboard.  I'd rather click them on the screen if it were that detailed.