Share your Screenshots!

Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on February 18, 2015, 08:27:47 AM
I don't like that the OOB in Red Dragon is too specialized.  That means you can encounter a solo arty unit in the campaign map.  You need to stack them with other combat formations.
At least in ALB, all units are mixed with some emphasis on certain types.

I'm not sure I follow this criticism...the OOB isn't too specialized. You make your own decks and you can balance them anyway you see fit. Do you mean the stock decks are too specialized?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 18, 2015, 10:40:08 AM

Happy with my UK deck for ALB - moving onto a U.S. deck - could have sworn there were marines

There are Marines in the US OOB in ALB. Not sure if they are in the stock deck though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2015, 10:45:29 AM
Quote from: jomni on February 18, 2015, 08:27:47 AM
I don't like that the OOB in Red Dragon is too specialized.  That means you can encounter a solo arty unit in the campaign map.  You need to stack them with other combat formations.
At least in ALB, all units are mixed with some emphasis on certain types.

I'm not sure I follow this criticism...the OOB isn't too specialized. You make your own decks and you can balance them anyway you see fit. Do you mean the stock decks are too specialized?

I'm talking about the formations in the campaign. Not the deck building for skirmish or multiplayer.

This is an engineer battalion.  All you got are infantry. 

This tank battalion only has tanks. 

The implications is that you need to really think about how you stack your units.  And no unit can defend a single province by itself because of the specialization.  Very difficult for the campaign especially when certain prized unit types are eliminated.

Nefaro

Do they give you enough units to create such mixes of combined arms in the front areas or are they too few? 

It sounds like that method would work good as long as you're not being forced to cover the front zones with only one or maybe two units.

jomni

I dunno.  Just having a hard time.  In fact only one sector gets an FOB since it has the supply unit.  The others don't so I will have to do with whatever trucks I have.  And once supplies are gone, they're useless.

Anyway, the good part is that the AI is operating by the same rules.  So I will eventually have battles against lone arty for example.

jomni

I should be playing.  Not painting.  :P

undercovergeek

A vignette of ALB tactics whilst i try and refine my strategy.

It occurs to me the minimal amount of HQ troops i bring with me and i wonder if the AI does the same - by searching for and taking out his Command vehicles i should be able to deny him reinforcements, points and the victory. To my left is a victory point with Russians in it, I dont know what strength but there has to be some command element to it

I send in the SAS to have a snoop around

After dismounting they head to the forested hills that provide cover all the way to the victory point

Within seconds both Lynx are down from AA fire but i didnt see where from - so thats HQ and AA troops somewhere

I send in a Jaguar for CAS, heading for a small patch of forest i suspect the command truck to be in - he doesnt make it as arcs of AA fire come from a distant forest and a farm complex - the SAS are on their own

After hiding in the hills for a few minutes the intel starts to come in, the command vehicle is in the forest the Jaguar would have hit, just beyond those red and white fuel dumps, to the left is the AA

Still unseen the SAS begin their covert attack

Reinforcements inbound to capture the refinery complex once the HQ falls - Warriors loaded with Marines and a Jaguar to provide CAS

Almost there, still unseen

Boom, scratch one command vehicle and the sector is ours

shortly after this a captured sector to the rear went neutral as the AI obviously moved a command vehicle out of it to come and retake this one, ill look to further this tactic in the next game

Nefaro

My Saxon center, moving to root out an enemy Longabard army hiding in one of my forests.

The Longabard AI had first moved it's other smaller army towards one of my unwalled cities but had sent this one through the forest on the other side of my province a bit later.  Makes me wonder if the first one was an intentional feint to pull my armies away.  If so, I'm impressed with the strategic AI's ruse.  Would've worked if I hadn't spotted this larger army with one of my agents wandering by the forest.

jomni

Well I finally finished the first Wargame Red Dragon campaign.  O0

JudgeDredd

Heading across the river. I thought it would be a good idea to have my tanks at the edge of the forest so they could provide cover...but some AT missiles from the Ukrainians took care of 3 of them!

Tank ahead....

Missile away....

HIT!!

Alba gu' brath

jomni

Oh no!  That's a bummer.  Those tanks are important.

JudgeDredd

It's no problem. I cheat. I reload a previous save if I don't like my losses  :buck2:

I should point out, for ANYONE I have played PBEM (ever in the past or the future) I do not do so playing a real opponent. I just always take the view the AI isn't hobbled in various ways and I am - so I reload from time to time. Not very often, I'm surprisingly better at this game (Combat Mission in general) than I thought I would be.

More often than not, it's at the deployment stage. Other times is like when I'm attacked by a machine gunner in a two story building but because I can't see the base, I can't open fire on them...that kind of thing.

I don't use it to "discover" enemy locations. If I'm going down the road in my Shermans and a Tiger pops out and takes 3 of them out, I  wouldn't reload and take another route.
Alba gu' brath

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

republic

My oath to not buy a new game lasted 1 month and 21 days...  Bought Factorio today.  Here I am making electricity with a offshore pump, boiler, and steam engine (with coal conveyor from my mines).  Also doing some science

jomni