Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OJsDad

I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
I'm guessing this is in a Shadows/pre-warp start? 

I ask, because in a regular start, I rarely have money issues.  Even if my "state" income is in the red for a time, my bonus income nearly always keeps me afloat during the lean times. 




Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:01:33 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 05, 2014, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 05, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
I only play sandbox. Victory or death.

+1
:knuppel2:

+2   :uglystupid2:
Bah.  I'm surrounded by Philistines. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on July 06, 2014, 03:02:27 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
I'm guessing this is in a Shadows/pre-warp start? 

I ask, because in a regular start, I rarely have money issues.  Even if my "state" income is in the red for a time, my bonus income nearly always keeps me afloat during the lean times. 

Yes, a pre-warp start
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

hmmm, I looks like there is a new posting for an AAR for Distant Worlds.

Also, as second posting in the same thread for a bit of history. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jack Nastyface

Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc?  I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense.  I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything.  I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets.   I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Rayfer

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 08, 2014, 11:13:59 AM
Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc?  I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense.  I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything.  I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets.   I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?

I've had the same experience. I gave up attacking pirate bases (even on weak pirates setting), they seem unbeatable, I lose my fleet or flee first. I have found it is easier to just continue paying tribute or protection to keep them off my back. They seem unbalanced and over-powered.

Grimnirsson

I am playing in a pre-warp galaxy and my game started with me and another race in one system. When I had a larger fleet around 20 ships I attacked their home planet and also lost almost every ship...so that doesn't seem to be a pirate thingy...  :knuppel2:
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Martok

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 08, 2014, 11:13:59 AM
Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc?  I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense.  I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything.  I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets.   I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?
Without knowing more specifics about your situation, there are a couple things I will note: 


1.)  Even small spaceports can be surprisingly tough nuts to crack, especially with the right weapons/defenses. 

2.)  Don't forget that in a pre-warp start, pirate factions begin with a much higher tech level than the planetary-based  factions.  As a result, their bases are, on average, going to be much tougher than yours are until you catch up on research (which I understand generally takes a little while). 




Quote from: Grimnirsson on July 08, 2014, 12:32:44 PM
I am playing in a pre-warp galaxy and my game started with me and another race in one system. When I had a larger fleet around 20 ships I attacked their home planet and also lost almost every ship...so that doesn't seem to be a pirate thingy...  :knuppel2:
You started with another race in the same star system?  Ouch. 

That's gotta be either a bug, or incredibly bad luck.  :-\ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grimnirsson

Yeah, I'm Human and there's a planet in my system where the Kiadian live...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Martok

Are they an independent colony or another empire like yourself? 

If the former, you might be able to simply colonize them (unless you've already tried that?).  Kiadans are generally fairly well-disposed towards Humans, and any independent worlds inhabited by them are therefore more likely to allow you to colonize them if you make the attempt. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jack Nastyface

Well I obviously can't give too many specifics, but I have some really good weapons tech developed.   I just completed or am about to complete the entire research tree for the rail guns / mass drivers.
I suppose the frustrating thing about this game is that even if I research rail guns, the ships that are produced (destroyers and cruisers) tend to be using torpedo weapons.  I have tried to edit the ship designs, but I get all these crazy messages about not having enough this or that, etc, and then once you upgrade a ship, it seems like all the automatic "recommended" upgrades stop happening (ie:  I built a "Mk II" cruiser with mass drivers, and when I later researched improved hyperdrives, the default cruiser was updated with new engines, but my Mk II was not.  I don't want to spend the entire game in ship design mode...).

Once I have saved up enough money, I think I am going to build me a fleet of 10 capital ships and then go raid the pirate colony again.  To my credit, it doesn't look like the pirates are repairing their spaceports, so maybe this is supposed to be a war of attrition thing...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jack Nastyface

So is it actually possible to win vs the Shakturi?  I just completed my first "storyline" game, and the bad guys were simply overwhelming...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Martok

Yes, it is possible to beat them, but there's no question it's a tough fight regardless of the outcome.  Ally with as many races as you can, tech up as quickly as you're able, and pray the sons-of-bitches don't find/refurbish a Death Star before you have a fleet that can take it out.  :buck2:  It also helps a lot if you manage to stumble across the Way of the Ancients government -- gotta love them bonuses! 

Even if you win, you can generally expect the Shakturi (and any insectoid allies they may have) to mess up your shit pretty bad before all is said and done...but you *can* defeat them.  It's just difficult (not impossible). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces