Scourge of War: Waterloo! announced

Started by steve58, March 24, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Come to think of it, that command acts sort of like "hold fire" instead with the benefit of unleashing a volley at the first shot.

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on June 10, 2015, 06:03:46 PM
Well that's bad because that's a lot of micromanagement.  They should preferably do volley indefinitely right?  Or was that not the tactic during those times.

No, you'd get a volley or two at the beginning of an engagement and then men would fire at will. Formations generally wouldn't stand there and just trade volleys until one broke.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

^+1

Doug beat me to it.

That's why so many rules make such a big deal out of first volley.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on June 10, 2015, 07:43:08 PM
Come to think of it, that command acts sort of like "hold fire" instead with the benefit of unleashing a volley at the first shot.

Exactly. That's specifically the tactic it's supposed to simulate. Done right, you could get an entire line to volley fire by battalion, which could be pretty rough on an opponent.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

Seems like you press volley fire once to order the regiment to perform a volley fire. However, this may take some time depending on the discipline and experience level of the troops and they will not fire the volley until all troops in the regiment are ready. However, if you press the button a second time, it will order the regiment to fire a volley immediately, but you will lose some of the firepower because not all guns will be firing.

The game definitely needs some optimization...I'm getting a really annoying stutter every few seconds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2015, 08:32:56 PM
Seems like you press volley fire once to order the regiment to perform a volley fire. However, this may take some time depending on the discipline and experience level of the troops and they will not fire the volley until all troops in the regiment are ready. However, if you press the button a second time, it will order the regiment to fire a volley immediately, but you will lose some of the firepower because not all guns will be firing.

The game definitely needs some optimization...I'm getting a really annoying stutter every few seconds.

Well my guys stand there and do nothing when ordered volley fire. :( And they lose volley status eventu ally (AI commander taking initiative?). But the discussion above makes sense.

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2015, 08:32:56 PM

The game definitely needs some optimization...I'm getting a really annoying stutter every few seconds.

I'm seeing that too, as are several others on the Norbsoftdev forums. Norbdevsoft doesn't seem to have any idea yet what's causing it, or any idea that it might be widespread. They seem to still be in the mode of addressing individual PC configurations and not seeing it as a general issue. I tried to post on their forums but despite getting an account never could manage to log in.

Great game so far, but that lag has got to be addressed or I've going to shelve this for awhile.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

Weird...I'm seeing none of that...how is it occurring for you all?

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

I seem to have eliminated it by pausing my backup software. So, it may be that the game is particularly sensitive to anything that's causing disk activity, like backups or AV scans.

Jim, what happens (at least for me) is that the game just stops and becomes non-responsive for anywhere from a second to maybe five or six seconds, depending on how bad it is. Can't issue orders, move the camera, nothing. All the animations pause. It's really annoying.

On a positive note, I just scored a victory in French scenario #2, the first divisional scenario. I can probably score a major victory if I can manage to get my second brigade extricated from the fight at Hougoumont. I'm finding that the brigade commanders to a good job of fighting their battle once you have them in the right position.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

#114
I'll most probably jump into a campaign and blog / do AAR on the progress.  Stay tuned.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2015, 08:32:56 PM


The game definitely needs some optimization...I'm getting a really annoying stutter every few seconds.


It's left over from the SOW engine, I'm sure.

I hadn't noticed it much in the past, when playing single-player on my desktop PCs.  However, there were a couple large multi-player scenarios where it started that exact same hitching every couple seconds.  Didn't stop once it had begun.

Not sure what caused it, because it didn't happen every time despite using the exact same computer to run it.  The single-player would sometimes do it to a much less noticeable degree, when there were a huge amount of units fighting, so at first I thought it was a single core processor limitation with all those individual units' AI running at once.  Not so sure after occasionally seeing it in other situations and newer machines.  It was always an unknown mystery from what I gathered, but there are numerous people who experienced it in SOW too.

Grim.Reaper

Seems like people are reporting the pausing issue was fixed for them by disabling webroot or changing webroot to ignore specifically the game.  If you have webroot or maybe even other type of av, that might be a place to start. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2015, 04:04:21 AM
Seems like people are reporting the pausing issue was fixed for them by disabling webroot or changing webroot to ignore specifically the game.  If you have webroot or maybe even other type of av, that might be a place to start.

I do indeed have webroot. Disable it for this game? Hell no. I'll see if I can figure out how to get the AV software to ignore the game. No idea how to go about doing that though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

I would agree....I never turn off my security software for any game, usually able to configure it to ignore very specific games or processes as needed.  Luckily I don't think I have had to do this for many things. 

jomni

#119
The engine is showing its age.