Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 08:43:09 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 13, 2014, 04:42:46 PM
i think im looking at modern/semi modern - tornados and harriers and upwards

If you ever find a decent modern flight sim with Tornadoes modelled, let me know.


The Tornado as modeled in Freefalcon was actually quite nice.  Obviously it wasn't hardcore- the avionics are F-16 hard-coded- but it was still a step up from Strike Fighters.  And since there aren't really any other options...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Cougar_DK

Heard heard, somebody should make a new version of the old Tornado Sim from Digital Integration. I'm pretty sure I still have the game in the basement...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on May 15, 2014, 10:42:23 PM

The Tornado as modeled in Freefalcon was actually quite nice.  Obviously it wasn't hardcore- the avionics are F-16 hard-coded- but it was still a step up from Strike Fighters.  And since there aren't really any other options...

I had some issues with Freefalcon.  It's pretty much been put on the blacklist.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on May 15, 2014, 09:01:15 PM
^Once I get up to speed I'll be happy to MP with you. Got my regular internet back too :)

Great! Playing co-op against the AI is fun and challenging. I find an easy AI opponent plenty challenging.

Glad to hear your internet is back. Should I be expecting your turn on our PBEM Commander Great War game? I think my challenge is still up.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

Yeah if your challenge is still up I will attempt to check it out sometime this weekend, maybe later today.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Fired up a game, my air window greyed out. Hey I cant buy anything. My point are piling up, I need command vehicles!
WTF!
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

^Eek...I don't know.

I went through the tutorials last night with JH in the background giving tips. It's a bit intimidating. Would have been nice to have interactive tutorials instead of static ones too.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2014, 06:10:36 PM
^Eek...I don't know.

I went through the tutorials last night with JH in the background giving tips. It's a bit intimidating. Would have been nice to have interactive tutorials instead of static ones too.

pffft personal coaching now is it?

undercovergeek

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 15, 2014, 04:59:04 AM
right, the flight sim urge has come and gone


...............and then they put top gun on tv

Gusington

If you look closely you can see our very own Toonces in this scene, somewhere.

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 17, 2014, 06:16:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2014, 06:10:36 PM
^Eek...I don't know.

I went through the tutorials last night with JH in the background giving tips. It's a bit intimidating. Would have been nice to have interactive tutorials instead of static ones too.

pffft personal coaching now is it?

I'm a virtual soldier of fortune selling my services to the highest bidder...a digital Ronin, if you will.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2014, 06:10:36 PM
^Eek...I don't know.

I went through the tutorials last night with JH in the background giving tips. It's a bit intimidating. Would have been nice to have interactive tutorials instead of static ones too.

Was he screaming at you the whole time? Calling you names and such? Cause that's what I would do
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Bigglesworth

Just jump in to it. You will find pieces of success and pieces of fail. Lots of learning curve to wrestle down.

I find RTS with pause/ bullet time far more realistic than the standard turn based abstraction or regular RTS. Learning to judge the movement rates becomes a big part of the battle simulation. It is the difference between combined arms win, or flop.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Jarhead0331

One thing I was discussing with young Gusington was the pros and cons of building combined arms decks, as opposed to decks that specialize in one particular area of combat. My suspicion is that the more successful co-op players use specialist decks that work together.

For instance, one player may specialize in rotary and fixed wing aviation.  Another may specialize in infantry, both mech and airborne. Another may serve as the armored punch while another may provide the bulk of supply.  I think three or four players who have built specialized decks together and come up with a plan of mutual support would be far more likely to succeed against a group of random players who are all fielding mixed battlegroups with no plan for support.

Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

^That was my main takeaway from JH's screaming rants and raves (I kid, I kid). But there is no escaping the fact that the game would rock the hardest with 3-4 of us teaming up with specialized decks against an AI.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd