Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 15, 2014, 05:51:55 PM
I have 100+ hours in EE and ALB each.

I don't think I've gotten in even 10 hours with RD. The game just got too stale for me. Particularly the terrible logistics system and extremely unrealistic fuel consumption rates. I've operated many of the in-game US vehicles in real life and I'm familiar with their fuel consumption. Wargame misses the mark, especially when certain vehicles can't even drive from the spawn point to the front line without having to refuel.

The endurance problem was always an issue for me too.  I can understand a need for it, to some extent, but it's pretty extreme as you mentioned.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2014, 06:29:15 PM
The endurance problem was always an issue for me too.  I can understand a need for it, to some extent, but it's pretty extreme as you mentioned.

Not fun, or realistic.

I understand logistics are an important part of combat operations, but in Wargame it becomes the focus rather than a supporting operation.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2014, 03:07:12 PM
I can see the newer campaign system in Red Dragon being better... if there are enough 'specialized' units to go around.  It would effectively allow you to create a custom task force in each zone depending on the mix of units you put there. 

I've not played it yet to see if there are enough to do so, or whether you end up just having to commit such a thin amount that you don't get mixed forces much.

Problem is each unit has their own cohesion and morale. What if your front line troops are all in poor condition and all you got is arty? That happened in one of my sessions. The AI just attacked with his arty because the others were routed in the previous turn's fighting.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 15, 2014, 07:44:38 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2014, 03:07:12 PM
I can see the newer campaign system in Red Dragon being better... if there are enough 'specialized' units to go around.  It would effectively allow you to create a custom task force in each zone depending on the mix of units you put there. 

I've not played it yet to see if there are enough to do so, or whether you end up just having to commit such a thin amount that you don't get mixed forces much.

Problem is each unit has their own cohesion and morale. What if your front line troops are all in poor condition and all you got is arty? That happened in one of my sessions. The AI just attacked with his arty because the others were routed in the previous turn's fighting.

I also got the impression from nosing around and reading about Red Dragon that there were still some issues after the official release, including balance.  I don't know if they were dire ones, but yeah.  It's still gettng patched fairly regularly isn't it?

fran

Regular but small patches. And there will be free DLC again at some point. And hopefully a bigger list of fixes at the same time. DLC is to include land based anti-ship units.

DLC link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262199585

I play only multiplayer and it is good enough to go back to in its current state.

GDS_Starfury

new pc is finished and ALB simply looks a-fucking-mazing.
now I just need to find some quarters to scrape together and get RD.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


jomni

One note about the terrain...  Korea does not look like a Pacific Island.

GDS_Starfury

If I'm having fun with my friend I don't care if we're rolling tanks across Gus's ass crack.

butt I'm not searching for lost mini's.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 16, 2014, 11:44:08 PM
One note about the terrain...  Korea does not look like a Pacific Island.

I'm sure the guys stuck there during the Korean War winters didn't think so either.

mikeck

I really should give it a try again. I don't play MP and can't quite get the hang of the deck system
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on June 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM
I really should give it a try again. I don't play MP and can't quite get the hang of the deck system

watch one of the deck building lets plays - it explains exactly what and why

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on June 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM
I really should give it a try again. I don't play MP and can't quite get the hang of the deck system

Its just a point-buy system with limits on each category of unit type.  Not really some CCG "deck" but the term stuck for some reason.

GDS_Starfury

its just a unit selection menu that got named by MtG nerds somehow.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


mikeck

No, I get the term...what I mean is that I have problems picking out we spans that work. I get destroyed very quickly
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

So it seems to have finally been reduced to my price range....only $13.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WGRD/wargame-red-dragon