Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II

Started by tgb, April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

The next 4X from Firaxis.

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Screenshots in the first link remind me of Matrix's Pandora.

Anguille

Quote from: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
The next 4X from Firaxis.

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".
Sid had almost nothing to do with Alpha Centauri either...

bbmike

You had me at Firaxis and 4X. Making like Alpha Centauri is just icing on the cake! This is AWESOME news!!!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Quote from: Anguille on April 12, 2014, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
The next 4X from Firaxis.

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".
Sid had almost nothing to do with Alpha Centauri either...

I know it was a Brian Reynolds joint.  I just said that because everyone on the net is creaming their jeans today over the prospect of a "new Sid Meier game".

eyebiter

.
#6
.

bbmike

Quote from: eyebiter on April 12, 2014, 04:39:30 PM
Hope the maps are larger than Civ V.

And meaningful diplomacy. God, let there be meaningful diplomacy this time!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

It is going to be CIV in space and not Alpha Centauri. So don't expect anything like it. But I like the idea and will be looking forward to this.

FarAway Sooner

It sounds like they're trying to do a number of things a bit differently than other titles have tried to do in the last 10-15 years.  If they pull it off, this could be a darn good game.  I'll wait to see if they do so.

bbmike

Quote from: jomni on April 12, 2014, 09:21:45 PM
It is going to be CIV in space and not Alpha Centauri. So don't expect anything like it. But I like the idea and will be looking forward to this.

I've kinda given up on a proper Alpha Centauri follow up much like Master of Magic so I'm not really expecting that. Civ in space will work just fine for me. It would even be nice to carry a game of Civ over into Beyond Earth.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek


Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers