PC Gaming More Profitable than Consoles

Started by RooksBailey, April 29, 2014, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

This is an interesting article from Ars Technica:

Analyst: PC gaming now brings in more money than console gaming

QuoteIn statements reported by UK tech site PCR, Cole said that PC games were bringing in more revenue than console games on a global basis, though he added that the recent launch of new game consoles could change things in the near future. "Among core gamers there is a heavy overlap with most console gamers also playing on a PC," Cole said. "The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."

The growth in PC spending is being driven heavily by the explosive growth in MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2, Cole said. That certainly gels with what we found in our recent Steam Gauge analysis, which shows Dota 2 dominating in a number of gameplay statistics.

I think the analysis is correct to point out that this could be due to the success of MOBAs (yuck - I hate that genre), and the end of the lifespan of the old consoles.  However, I think it also reflects a general decline - or maybe retrenchment is a better word -  in gaming.  The heady days of  2004-2008 seem to be over.  Now, like Hollywood, it is either endless sequels from the big studios, or a plethora of indie titles that take forever to mature (if they ever do).  There always are a few good games every year, but they seem to be fewer and fewer all the time and, interestingly, those better titles seem to be PC exclusives lately (Kerbal Space Program, Red Orchestra 2, Hawken, Crusader Kings 2, and others).

In other words, it almost feels like gaming is heading back to the late 1990s.   :D
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Ehh.. as newer generations become more widely tech savvy, and grow up using computers, they have less fear of using them.   The gaming on them is an obvious side effect because there are many advantages to PC gaming including price, wider ranges of genres, more intricate or niche games with multi-player, and numerous others.  It's a much more diverse selection for when people get sick of the same few console games remade with different names and a logical evolution for those looking for more.

RooksBailey

#2
Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2014, 04:25:02 PM
Ehh.. as newer generations become more widely tech savvy, and grow up using computers, they have less fear of using them.   The gaming on them is an obvious side effect because there are many advantages to PC gaming including price, wider ranges of genres, more intricate or niche games with multi-player, and numerous others.  It's a much more diverse selection for when people get sick of the same few console games remade with different names and a logical evolution for those looking for more.

I think that is an excellent summation.  And if true, such an attitude will soon relegate consoles to a niche.  Perhaps those rumors about MS wanting to sell their XBox franchise to Amazon are true.... :-\

BTW: the arrival of the budget "Steam Machines" (and others) could accelerate this trend.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

Cool article...I didn't even think it was possible. Of course the definition of PC and console will continue to blur as time goes by.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Well where do all of those 'PC gaming is dead' conspirators go now? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

#5
This agrees with my gaming habits. I completely stopped playing console these days.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: W8taminute on April 29, 2014, 10:00:05 PM
Well where do all of those 'PC gaming is dead' conspirators go now?

Surely the mutual appreciation society at Wargamer.com can keep up their sky is falling routine for another half decade, at least. They'll undoubtedly use the indefutable argument that no computer game released since the mid to late 90's could possibly achieve the same level of nirvana and perfection as evidence of the decline, and blame it all on anyone in the 21st century who might have actually enjoyed a moment of pleasure in front of a keyboard and dare mention it.

Also: Justin Beiber. He doesn't have anything to do with it, but I'd still like to taint The Posters of Doom with him.   
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Hey I liked that ET game back in 1983.

Oh wait - no I didn't.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Curious how many folks around here are both PC and console gamers.  I ditched my XBox about 10 years ago and haven't gone back.  But I am seriously tempted to buy a PS4 in order to play MLB the Show 14, because it looks freaking amazing. 

Gusington

I bought the first PlayStation in 1998 and then ditched it when I would afford a new PC.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

I had and Xbox and currently have an XBox360.... but I feel no real pull to get another console...

Nefaro

I was actually a console-only gamer for a brief few years in the mid nineties.  I grew to downright loathe the console game selection, other than some rare Koei strategy games translated to Engrish (if you could find them).  I eventually got a new PC and didn't look back at those terrible days.  My only notable enjoyment was the regular head-to-head sports game trash talking sessions over some beers with friends (mostly Madden, but some others).   The console variety and sophistication may have improved a bit since then, but it is still relative. 

Con

I only use a PC. I would be very tempted with a console if my boys were older. In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs

Con

Barthheart

Quote from: Con on April 30, 2014, 01:08:34 PM
.... In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs

Con

This is the only reason I first got a console, my gaming buddies moved all over the province and XBox Live was a way we could all game together at least once a month.