PC Gaming More Profitable than Consoles

Started by RooksBailey, April 29, 2014, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Con on April 30, 2014, 01:08:34 PM
I only use a PC. I would be very tempted with a console if my boys were older. In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs

Con

You would think so but the youngsters I know nearly always play Terraria and Minecraft on computers together when they have the chance, amongst other things.

W8taminute

I've been both a console and pc gamer since 1989.  I will always play games on both of these outlets.  The only outlet I'm not really a big fan of is mobile but I still have some games that I like.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

Though I've been tempted at different times in my life, I've never owned a gaming console.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

I own a PS3 and only seem to use it to watch HULU, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. To date I have only bought 1 PS3 game, Oblivion, which I already owned for the PC.
The game controller has been the biggest hurdle to enjoying console games. After 25-odd years of keyboard/mouse/hotas PC games my brain must just be wired wrong.  :-\
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 30, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
I own a PS3 and only seem to use it to watch HULU, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. To date I have only bought 1 PS3 game, Oblivion, which I already owned for the PC.
The game controller has been the biggest hurdle to enjoying console games. After 25-odd years of keyboard/mouse/hotas PC games my brain must just be wired wrong.  :-\

I think that's my biggest problem with these consoles. I can handle the old Atari joystick or the basic four arrow/two button controller, but add anything more than that and I get confused real quick.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Only thing that I use my Wii for is various pinball titles.  Consoles seem to do those better than PCs.

MuzzyDev

Once Valve deploys their linux-based OS that will let you seamlessly play on your PC and then continue the same game on your TV, the consoles will essentially be obsolete.  I'm also finding the Steam controller to be easier to use than the traditional console controllers.

Chris--
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

Staggerwing

*Moves chair closer*   Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers? 

Soooo...

What's it like?  :o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MuzzyDev

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 02, 2014, 10:07:23 PM
*Moves chair closer*   Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers? 

Soooo...

What's it like?  :o
Yeah, a couple of our guys went out to Steam Dev Days and everyone got a controller.  We actually enabled it to work with Making History: The Great War and brought it to our booth at PAX East.  It attracted a LOT of interest!  The main difference is the discs for primary control act more like touch screens than buttons, so you need a lot less pressure compared to a joystick button.
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: bbmike on April 30, 2014, 06:03:21 PM
Though I've been tempted at different times in my life, I've never owned a gaming console.

I still have my Intellivision but I have no idea how to hook up the cable box to these new flat-screens...  :o The last time I took the flat head screwdriver to the back of one, I got shocked.  :'(

I have had no reason to think about buying another.

If I'm playing games on my PC, I usually have the TV on as well. So for me buying a console would probably necessitate buying a monitor/TV also. I don't have much time for time-wasters, though I do regret that certain games have stopped or had infrequent support for the PC. My list includes Call of Duty and NHL Hockey. I had actually loaned uniforms from my collection so they could put a Canadian into one of the CoD versions (CoD 3, I think), and I have yet to see it.

Staggerwing

Quote from: MuzzyDev on May 05, 2014, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 02, 2014, 10:07:23 PM
*Moves chair closer*   Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers? 

Soooo...

What's it like?  :o
Yeah, a couple of our guys went out to Steam Dev Days and everyone got a controller.  We actually enabled it to work with Making History: The Great War and brought it to our booth at PAX East.  It attracted a LOT of interest!  The main difference is the discs for primary control act more like touch screens than buttons, so you need a lot less pressure compared to a joystick button.

:o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys