Alien 5: WhatwhatWHAT?!?

Started by BanzaiCat, July 16, 2015, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2015, 07:57:00 PM
I know I've said it before but I liked Alien 3. So sue me.

WTF happened to Hicks face??

Yeah, and you liked Prometheus. You have no credibility.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on July 17, 2015, 04:25:27 PM
I'm not a fan of Blomkamp either, but I doubt he can do anymore damage to the franchise than has already been done.

I hope it takes place in a shantytown and has blatant messaging about the evils of capitalism, white privilege, and the South African military.   That'd be a reach for him.

Staggerwing

Don't be a Debby Downer. My cornflakes taste better with a dusting of agitprop.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 17, 2015, 08:17:03 PM
I'm not a fan of Blomkamp either, but I doubt he can do anymore damage to the franchise than has already been done.

I hope it takes place in a shantytown and has blatant messaging about the evils of capitalism, white privilege, and the South African military.   That'd be a reach for him.

Wait, do you mean to say District 9 had some kind of social commentary? I totally missed that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on July 18, 2015, 09:30:16 AM

Wait, do you mean to say District 9 had some kind of social commentary? I totally missed that.

It was something about alien delinquents hotwiring spacecraft after getting high on toilet bowl cleaner, I believe. Pretty much any night in the big city.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on July 18, 2015, 09:30:16 AM

Thank God he got away from that in Elysium.   Well, to be fair, Chappie was more about product placement for a crappy band than heavy-handed social commentary but it did take place in a shantytown and vilify the SADF.  It's good to see Neil taking such daring risks.

Ubercat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2015, 12:00:14 PM
Thank God he got away from that in Elysium.   Well, to be fair, Chappie was more about product placement for a crappy band than heavy-handed social commentary but it did take place in a shantytown and vilify the SADF.  It's good to see Neil taking such daring risks.

Crappy band? ....

I think maybe I should just back slowly out of this thread now.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Gotta rewatch. I thought he died too. Maybe I'm confusing Hicks with Biehn's career.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2015, 10:14:19 PM
Gotta rewatch. I thought he died too. Maybe I'm confusing Hicks with Biehn's career.

Isn't he the one that sticks the shotgun in the aliens mouth as it tries to get in there vehicle and he gets covered in goo for it?

Iirc he never does much else and then Ripley sticks him in cryo at the end - in 3 hes dead, but now 3 hasn't happened

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2015, 10:14:19 PM

He made it to the end of Aliens, but died before the beginning of Alien 3.  Whatever the real-world reasons, the deaths of Hicks and Newt felt like a massive betrayal to fans of the series.

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 19, 2015, 02:53:16 AM
Isn't he the one that sticks the shotgun in the aliens mouth as it tries to get in there vehicle and he gets covered in goo for it?

Iirc he never does much else and then Ripley sticks him in cryo at the end - in 3 hes dead, but now 3 hasn't happened

He does blast that alien but that's not what does him in; it's later when he shoots an alien trying to get into the lift that he sustains his injuries.  He does plenty throughout the film; he takes charge of the platoon when Apone dies in the first attack, and until that encounter in the lift near the end of the film he was instrumental in getting the survivors to the second dropship.

undercovergeek

I thought it was defending the second drop ship he used the shotgun - I didn't mean he was useless just that his demise was near the end

BanzaiCat

My daughter watched "Alien" this past weekend...the wife and I were out of town at a friend's house so I wasn't aware. Not sure I"m terribly happy she did that to herself - she's only 14, though I was younger when I saw it, and I had nightmares for years because of it.

Gusington

Hicks committed the act in the library with a candlestick.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 20, 2015, 07:01:42 AM
My daughter watched "Alien" this past weekend...the wife and I were out of town at a friend's house so I wasn't aware. Not sure I"m terribly happy she did that to herself - she's only 14, though I was younger when I saw it, and I had nightmares for years because of it.

I think I saw Aliens when I was 14/15 and that was scary enough. I don't think I saw Alien until I was 18/19. It still scares the crap out of me.

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on July 17, 2015, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2015, 07:57:00 PM
I know I've said it before but I liked Alien 3. So sue me.

WTF happened to Hicks face??

Yeah, and you liked Prometheus. You have no credibility.

I kinda liked Prometheus too.  Was good to see a higher budget full on sci-fi movie and the Alien origin story wasn't bad.  The chick running around after having a damn C-section was beyond believable but hey - Hollywood. *shrug*

I'm not gonna be tortured with a car battery now for saying I like it, am I?   >:D