Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I don't think he's an isolationist. He's had no problem ramping up drone strikes, for one. Agree with the policy or not, taking people out on foreign soil is pretty interventionist.

He and his administration simply seem far more interested in pushing a domestic agenda before the clock runs out. There's apparently no interest in a cohesive foreign policy. Even an isolationist foreign policy would be more coherent than the current lack of any plan.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

pawelj

Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2015, 10:31:37 AM
I don't think he's an isolationist. He's had no problem ramping up drone strikes, for one. Agree with the policy or not, taking people out on foreign soil is pretty interventionist.

He and his administration simply seem far more interested in pushing a domestic agenda before the clock runs out. There's apparently no interest in a cohesive foreign policy. Even an isolationist foreign policy would be more coherent than the current lack of any plan.

Don't think he's isolationist. I think he's just way over his head in foreign policy, or he's just a pussy.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

mirth

Imo, he's far more the appeaser than the isolationist.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Heh. I never said he as a competent isolationist!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 07, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: pawelj on October 07, 2015, 01:21:56 PM
If those missiles flew over Iran and Iraq they were not fired from the Med. Was it from Caspian sea?

Yes. Not sure what platforms they used to launch them.

Found a report on that:

QuoteThe naval strikes on Wednesday were the first known operational use of state-of-the-art SSN-30A Kalibr cruise missiles, which were still being tested by the Russian navy in August.

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/syrian-activists-russian-air-strikes-pound-rebel-zones-in-latest-blows/2015/10/07/fb3be168-5cf3-4e38-98f3-f6b75ed53871_story.html

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Centurion40

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 08, 2015, 11:11:00 AM
Ok, it seems the time for airstrikes only is coming to an end:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/610143/Islamic-State-ISIS-Putin-Spetsnaz-Syria-special-forces-airstrikes

Perhaps the ultimate motivation for Russia:

"They are there to mop up after air strikes, call in air strikes, go on extremely covert missions against rebels and ultimately wipe them out.

"And they will not be as accountable as British or US special forces. They are there for one reason, to wipe out anyone threatening Assad. By any means. And by doing that they will be consolidating Russia's position on the Med and in the Middle East."

If they were only there to battle ISIS, I would offer nothing but applause.  But they are really there to help Assad regain control over all of Syria.  Which means moderate, freedom-seeking democratic rebel forces will be Russian targets too.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

And when they're done in Syria, they can slide right over to Iraq.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 08, 2015, 11:24:22 AM
"They are there to mop up after air strikes, call in air strikes, go on extremely covert missions

As opposed to casually covert missions?

Grimnirsson

QuoteIf they were only there to battle ISIS, I would offer nothing but applause.  But they are really there to help Assad regain control over all of Syria

In Putins view, which he stated many times, this is not an either/or question. So they are not only there to battle the IS, but they will also battle them - and this will be the first time a highly trained military force is going against them on the ground. And that's a good thing in my book.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2015, 10:31:37 AM

This.

I think of it as, basically, the direct opposite of Kennedy's approach to the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Kowtowing interspersed with indecision self-serving fabrications and denial.

Marty Ward

If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth