GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: jomni on August 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM

Title: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on August 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM
That's it.  No more reason to get the PS4 for me. This is truly the age of PC gaming.
http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-coming-to-pc-1620931594
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on August 05, 2015, 07:47:42 AM
It's expensive.   >:(  Console pricing!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700?snr=1_41_4__42
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 05, 2015, 09:09:23 AM
So what? Its going to be awesome.

First you're thrilled its saving you $400 on a PS4 and now you're pissed you have to pay a little more for the PC game? Besides, the AAA releases these days are usually $59.99 on the PC, anyway.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: tgb on August 05, 2015, 09:48:46 AM
Not to mention you'll probably be able to get it for half that by the end of the year.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on August 05, 2015, 07:58:26 PM
Yeah. Still buying. :smitten:

September's going to be busy. With this and Nobunaga's Ambition (English Version).
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 05, 2015, 08:49:23 PM
Quote from: jomni on August 05, 2015, 07:58:26 PM
Yeah. Still buying. :smitten:

September's going to be busy. With this and Nobunaga's Ambition (English Version).

That's the spirit!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 24, 2015, 08:26:23 PM
Although these are reviews for playstation...sounding promising if of version comes close

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on August 31, 2015, 07:15:37 AM
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on August 31, 2015, 07:42:09 AM
Oh, Japan. Never change.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on August 31, 2015, 07:53:38 AM
We should combine the threads.  JD's post is fighting with my post for popularity. And it's winning. O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2015, 12:53:53 PM
Only because I was an idiot and bitched about the wrong game so everyone wants to keep that one up top so people know what an arse I am!  O:-)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2015, 04:41:42 AM
I don't care which thread is used:)

Downloaded and installed MG this morning, along with Mad Max....going to be a busy week....too bad I have to work today so won't have any time to actually play until late tonight....will be monitoring thread in case others get a chance before then.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 04:47:05 AM
I'll be on it in 6 hours  ;D

I haven't ordered Mad Max yet. I thought about it - but I thought I'd wait for feedback because it reminded me of RAGE....not that that is a bad thing. At least in "look" it reminded me of RAGE. But I haven't read a whole lot about Mad Max - but it's on my radar.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 04:48:29 AM
Games based on movies are almost always guaranteed to suck. It's just a law of nature.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 04:50:22 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 04:48:29 AM
Games based on movies are almost always guaranteed to suck. It's just a law of nature.
That kind of works the other way too  ;D
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 01, 2015, 04:55:23 AM
Nobunaga's Ambition is coming out today.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 05:53:17 AM
What??? I thought it wasn't due for release until the end of the month??.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2015, 06:18:21 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 04:48:29 AM
Games based on movies are almost always guaranteed to suck. It's just a law of nature.

I don't have high expectations but got pretty cheap so thought worth a shot, especially if the car battles end up being somewhat fun.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 01, 2015, 07:18:02 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 05:53:17 AM
What??? I thought it wasn't due for release until the end of the month??.

4 hours to go on my side.

US release is 1st September.
EU release is 4th September.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 01, 2015, 09:14:49 AM
Initial Steam reviews on Mad Max are overwhelmingly positive.

Essentially: Max Payne + Batman: Arkham + better Batmobile system + larger gameworld sandbox + vastly much more polished game out of the gate than Arkham Knight was.

Quite a number of shots from movie sets/incidents in the game trailer, though I suspect the same stories won't be used. Did I see the Golden Gate bridge??? Did he drive across the dried up Pacific??
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 01, 2015, 09:14:49 AM
Initial Steam reviews on Mad Max are overwhelmingly positive.

Essentially: Max Payne + Batman: Arkham + better Batmobile system + larger gameworld sandbox + vastly much more polished game out of the gate than Arkham Knight was.

Quite a number of shots from movie sets/incidents in the game trailer, though I suspect the same stories won't be used. Did I see the Golden Gate bridge??? Did he drive across the dried up Pacific??

I suspect those are from Mad Max IP super fans. The majority of the commercial reviews seem lukewarm, at best.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 12:03:33 PM
DAMN! Why don't all games bloody pre-load. I've now got ages to wait for this game to download!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 12:56:09 PM
lol - 20GB in 30 minutes. Slow start seemingly!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 03:22:17 PM
Well I've been in this over an hour - and that is the craziest freakin ride I can ever recall in a game. Not a lot of interaction - and painfully slow in places - but I didn't want to skip any of it.

I've never seen an intro like it. Over an hour in and when I eventually exited after finishing the first part and getting to the first chapter, it said 1% complete!!

Mental.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 01, 2015, 05:14:06 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2015, 03:22:17 PM
Well I've been in this over an hour - and that is the craziest freakin ride I can ever recall in a game. Not a lot of interaction - and painfully slow in places - but I didn't want to skip any of it.

I've never seen an intro like it. Over an hour in and when I eventually exited after finishing the first part and getting to the first chapter, it said 1% complete!!

Mental.

The previous Metal Gear titles.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 09:39:19 PM
Yeah...that prologue sure was trippy. I have no idea WTF is going on.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 01, 2015, 11:32:13 PM
Check this out.
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-says-goodbye-to-metal-gear-solid-and-its-1728135026?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2015, 03:48:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2015, 09:39:19 PM
Yeah...that prologue sure was trippy. I have no idea WTF is going on.
Trippy is an excellent way to describe it!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2015, 03:54:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 01, 2015, 11:32:13 PM
Check this out.
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-says-goodbye-to-metal-gear-solid-and-its-1728135026?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
There's something kind of "fake" about watching a video of people blowing smoke up people's arses to be honest. I just felt uncomfortable watching that video...like a promo with "the god" present.  :-X
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 02, 2015, 06:33:01 AM
If you've played Metal Gear from the start, Kojima is a God. Really.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2015, 07:09:15 AM
There was only one God in my life and he passed away in 2000  :'(
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 03, 2015, 06:43:30 AM
Anyone playing this? What's with the freaky soldiers? I'm stuck  >:D
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 07:08:07 AM
Yeah. I just finished the Afghanistan mission rescuing Miller. I'm at mother base now learning how to build and manage it.

If there is one thing that annoys me about the MG franchise it is all the freaky and super natural crap. The game really doesn't need it. The stuff based on the actual military units and hardware is top notch. I never understood why Kojima adds such a strong fantasy element to the games, but I guess that's just part of the series, and I guess a little bit of that wacky "Japanese thing". I was having a great time fighting 1980s era soviet troops, why ruin it with zombie gas troopers with super powers?

Anyway, so far, it is a really good game...but I still havent seen anything that makes me jump out of my seat shouting, "OMG! Greatest game ever made in the history of game making!!!"
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 03, 2015, 07:17:51 AM
Yeah. I wasn't expecting the supernatural element...but I had never played MGS before.

It is good. Great? Too early to tell for me. I think Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon Future Soldier were absolutely superb both from a combat and a tech perspective. This - at the moment - is a bit on the shallow side...but then I'm not at mother base yet and I haven't been able to send much back (no parachute thingy.

I'm using PC - and one of the things you can do when you climb up is go down again. Unfortunately, the on screen help says to move the left control stick and press E - but I'm not using a controller and so I haven't found out what "key" I have to use in order to achieve anything related to the "stick" assignment.

Also - what's this "open world" stuff? I went to get away from the skulls and I was warned I was leaving the mission area. Sorry - that doesn't scream out to me "open world". Big mission area? Yep. Open world? Nope.

Another thing - I saw a playthrough of the first mission and it showed him attached those balloon things to soldiers among other things and send them back to mother base - but I can't seem to do that...was that just an early playthrough or did I just miss the option (nothing showed up with the balloon icon).

And for anyone going through the first mission - if you stun a guard - remember they will wake up. Once I take guards quietly, I haven't worked out how to do anything other than stun them. I wasn't aware until 15 minutes or so later and the whole base came alive  :-[

Anyway - early doors but I'm not blown away yet
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 08:00:53 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 03, 2015, 07:17:51 AM
Yeah. I wasn't expecting the supernatural element...but I had never played MGS before.

It is good. Great? Too early to tell for me. I think Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon Future Soldier were absolutely superb both from a combat and a tech perspective. This - at the moment - is a bit on the shallow side...but then I'm not at mother base yet and I haven't been able to send much back (no parachute thingy.

I'm using PC - and one of the things you can do when you climb up is go down again. Unfortunately, the on screen help says to move the left control stick and press E - but I'm not using a controller and so I haven't found out what "key" I have to use in order to achieve anything related to the "stick" assignment.

Also - what's this "open world" stuff? I went to get away from the skulls and I was warned I was leaving the mission area. Sorry - that doesn't scream out to me "open world". Big mission area? Yep. Open world? Nope.

Another thing - I saw a playthrough of the first mission and it showed him attached those balloon things to soldiers among other things and send them back to mother base - but I can't seem to do that...was that just an early playthrough or did I just miss the option (nothing showed up with the balloon icon).

And for anyone going through the first mission - if you stun a guard - remember they will wake up. Once I take guards quietly, I haven't worked out how to do anything other than stun them. I wasn't aware until 15 minutes or so later and the whole base came alive  :-[

Anyway - early doors but I'm not blown away yet

I wasn't able to send anything back by balloon in the first mission either. I assumed you wont be able to do that until you're set up with mother base?

As for options after a tactical take down, you can kill them. On the PS4 version, its the triangle button.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 09:00:09 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2015, 03:54:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 01, 2015, 11:32:13 PM
Check this out.
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-says-goodbye-to-metal-gear-solid-and-its-1728135026?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
There's something kind of "fake" about watching a video of people blowing smoke up people's arses to be honest. I just felt uncomfortable watching that video...like a promo with "the god" present.  :-X

Agreed. Its ten minutes of nothing but ass kissing. We are talking about a game here. Its not like the guy cured cancer or brought upon world peace.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 03, 2015, 10:13:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 07:08:07 AM
I never understood why Kojima adds such a strong fantasy element to the games, but I guess that's just part of the series, and I guess a little bit of that wacky "Japanese thing".

^this. I think for Americans (myself included), there's an element of Japanese pop culture that will always be completely incomprehensible. Maybe that's the case for all cultures, but when it comes to Japan, it seems especially noticeable.  (The Simpsons nailed it years ago with their spoof ad for "Mr. Sparkle"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAaEPcnlOg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAaEPcnlOg))

The Cult of Kojima is kind of interesting, to me at least. He's probably the only game developer who has risen to the status of 'auteur,' like he's the Fellini or Jean-Luc Godard of video games. (I've heard him called the "Kubrick of video games" more than once.) Part of me thinks that's a good thing. I'm not in favor of blind idol worship, but I also think it's worthwhile, occasionally, to step back and think about just how much artistic talent goes into creating these worlds, whether MGS or The Witcher or Elder Scrolls or what have you. Movie directors are 'serious' artists, but game devs don't have that mainstream cultural clout yet. Maybe that will start to change.

end musings. back to work...
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 11:25:03 AM
So the game REALLY opens up after the first mission. I can confirm that you get access to the extraction balloons after you complete the first op. Once you finish that first mission in 'Stan, a bunch of story missions and "side ops" open up, as do the staff, R&D and research management options. Its getting to be REALLY enjoyable. Furthermore, I've been on one more story mission and one side op and not experienced any freaky supernatural crap.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 03, 2015, 12:04:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2015, 11:25:03 AM
So the game REALLY opens up after the first mission. I can confirm that you get access to the extraction balloons after you complete the first op. Once you finish that first mission in 'Stan, a bunch of story missions and "side ops" open up, as do the staff, R&D and research management options. Its getting to be REALLY enjoyable. Furthermore, I've been on one more story mission and one side op and not experienced any freaky supernatural crap.
I'd be interested in a PM on how you got away from the Skulls.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 03, 2015, 04:15:51 PM
mmm...I'm hoping the ridiculous "checkpoint" saves don't ruin this title for me.

On my first proper mission outside of mother base, I had sneaked my way through the whole lot and extracted the guy I needed to - as well as a bunch of diamonds, resources and people. However, I got sloppy and left a body in abuilding. I had monitored the building and hadn't seen anyone else go into it...so when I killed the guy, I left him there.

He was spotted and I was too far away to kill the guy that found him before the alarm was triggered...so I bolted and was spotted, I ran to the edge of the "mountain" and hopded there was a way down. There was to a ledge below - so I went down to that but once down there, there was no other ledges...so I tried to get back up and because of the "what I would call" ridiculous "you can climb that rock, but not that one", I fell off the "mountain" and died.

So I reloaded the checkpoint and it took me right back to the start of my infiltration! Absolutely gutted for 3 reasons...

I can see why they might think that was a good place for a checkpoint - but when you are talking about "sneaking" games, checkpoints far apart are really bad. It takes a looooong time to sneak around and recce. Having to do it ALL again because they choose the wrong checkpoint location is quite infuriating.

Anyway, once I died I reloaded the checkpoint, saw where I was and though "Nah...I'm not playing from there again...not tonight"!

:knuppel2:
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 04, 2015, 08:01:42 AM
Ugh... I see the horrible checkpoint system is still intact? Daringly consistent design decisions there, Kojima...  :buck2:
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 04, 2015, 12:29:39 PM
so.....how do you know who to send back? Obviously some characters (enemies) have better traits than others...I presume you shouldn't just send anyone back?

I've heard mother base say things like "You really want to send him back..."

The trouble is, I need to know their stats before I stun/kill them. I don't want to stun them and not send them back - because they wake up. So currently in my second play through of the first proper mission, I'm just killing the enemy.

Was I mistaken or did mother base just tell me that I would want to send a soldier back...a soldier that was coming to get me? Perhaps they instruct me of the ones to send back?

Also - how do I find the "other" parts of the mission. It has a main objective and 4 or 5 other sub missions with ??...I did just find one which was a prisoner I never saw on my previous run through - and some document or material I needed....is it just a case of searching and collecting things and they will be "ticked off"?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 04, 2015, 01:12:31 PM
Personally, I make a habit of sending everyone back that I can. I only use lethal force if absolutely necessary. There are obviously mission specific marks that you want to send back. ie. the Russian translator, the Spetznaz commander, etc., but in general, I'm finding it good practice to do non-lethal take downs and send back as many recruits as possible. I have seen no downside to rescue. It only costs 300 credits to send them to Mother Base and I think it raises your heroics score.

JD, I'd be interested in hearing what you like about the game.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 04, 2015, 01:56:55 PM
I'm not sure yet.

Rather weirdly, I'm 10 hours of gameplay in and I'm just not sure. Although that 10 hours includes the mental prologue, the first "intro" mission (I suppose) and the first "proper" mission (x2) from mother base.

I honestly, at the moment, do see anything sticking out...especially as being outstanding or a breakthrough. I have seen a couple of elements that really annoy me as mentioned above.

I think the mother base thing will turn out cool and I like the setting...80s Russians.

I think the crazy intro, the checkpoint save aspect and the ridiculous "sweet spot" thing for climbing knocked me a bit.

I'm not not enjoying it - but I think I've yet to see it's wonder.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 04, 2015, 02:00:19 PM
Judge, are you playing the Ground Zero prologue mission(s), too? Preorders got that thrown in or something.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 04, 2015, 02:01:42 PM
No. I haven't really touched Ground Zero except to have a look at the graphics. That was just before going to work on the day the game was released, so I jumped straight into the main game.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 04, 2015, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 04, 2015, 01:56:55 PM
I think the crazy intro, the checkpoint save aspect and the ridiculous "sweet spot" thing for climbing knocked me a bit.

I'm pretty sure there will be more crazy stuff along the way in the form of "Fantasy Boss Battles".  This is a standard in Metal Gear.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 05, 2015, 01:18:30 AM
(https://scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11890444_10153235355491633_7865750265658291655_o.png)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 01:46:17 AM
I'll be honest - I've seen better graphics. They aren't bad - I've just seen better.

Ok - so I'm getting further in now and things are picking up slightly. I have performed my first side mission and grabbed an interpreter. That was really handy because now I can interrogate and find out about stashes around the area instead of running around willy-nilly.

I also like the research aspect having just upgraded my Fulton balloon extraction system so I can grab mortars and machine gun posts and I upgraded my scope so I can see enemy abilities. I've got s shed load of low skill people at base.

Jarhead...the one negative aspect I saw of using the Fulton for everything was - I ran out. That and the fact you have a lot of low skilled people at base. I don't know how much that affects research and your fighting force - I would suspect a fair bit.

Anyway - yeah...it's picking up.

So far though I would still put Ghost Recon Future Soldier ahead of this - but I did have the benefit of completing that game and I'm only 2% in here.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: bob48 on September 05, 2015, 06:03:27 AM
The picture on Steam.....the guy looks like Ginger Baker.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2015, 06:07:31 AM
I am not sure what to think of the game yet....the opening scene was very intense, but I had no idea this game would have super natural stuff.  Not usually a big fan of that.  Just starting my first real mission so hopefully more of the game turns out to be like the Ground Zero demo.  Of course, very early into the game so I am sure things will open up for me.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 06:12:29 AM
If I could just take this opportunity to point out some things I don't like (as nothing is really standing out as massively positive)...

So far, that's my list of dislikes. Not only that, I'd like to see the "sweet spot" issue fixed - it can be infuriating - and more importantly getting rid of the checkpoint saves. I know console players are probably used to those...but I'm of the mind it's a tactic from the developer to toughen the game up and more importantly can just make a mission infuriating...not challenging. I liked to choose when to save.

Things I do like...
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2015, 06:41:12 AM
I don't know how you compare MGS to GR Future Soldier. It's an entirely different kind of game.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game so far and think it has accomplished some really spectacular things for the genre. It sounds to me like JD just doesn't "get it", which happens. That being said, I think it's safe to say that JD is one of the few people on the planet who is struggling to find something positive to say about it.

If I may make an observation about your gaming habit, JD, you seem to rush into purchases a lot, believing hype, or expecting the game to provide you with one experience, when in actuality, it is going to provide you with another. If something doesn't go your way, you get frustrated rather quickly, and your posts are then pretty much all sour grapes.  I respect that, but for people who like the game, it can get annoying. It was like that with Elite. Clearly, one of the best space flight games ever made in the history of gaming, yet the source of significant negativity from you due to your inability to grasp how to play it. Sometimes it just seems as if you do not appreciate complexity, nuance and challenge, which is totally cool, but not the fault of the game.

Are your critiques valid? Hell yes, for the most part. However, for people familiar with the series, they are not even worth mentioning. For instance, controlling your character has improved leaps and bounds over the prior versions of the game, and the combat has been refined to the point that it is unrrecognizable. Thus, for fans of the series, MGSV actually plays like a dream.

Is MGSV the best game ever made? Hardly. Is it worth recommending to people who appreciate the genre. Yes, 100%, but to an objective reader who doesn't know you or anything about the game, reading your posts that wouldn't be readily apparent.

Anyway, for the sake of my enjoyment of the game, I'm just going to ditch this thread and let you boys have at it. See ya on the flip flop.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 05, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
JD.  Do you play with a controller?   Maybe it's make more sense to do so.  I'm still using keyboard and mouse but I may go the controller route if I get frustrated.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 07:56:31 AM
I'm not gonna argue with you about rushing into buying games. Hell I bought it after posting a crap review about a different version and then thought "Sod it - I'll buy it". But that's me. But I take your point that perhaps I shouldn't be posting so negatively when it's my fault I've rushed into a game and not researched it.

It's nothing to do with hype though. In fact, I do very, very little research on games I buy. I am very much a point and click person. I seldom even read reviews. Sometimes I'll take on board what people say here - but generally, I take the view that peoples experiences of games are very, very different and as such I buy and try. I'll make a note though to take all that on the chin and not be so negative in future.

Having said that - you asked for my positive thoughts on the game and I gave what I could. The game imo isn't outstanding (at the moment) and I've "enjoyed" a lot better. It may well turn out to be a superb game.

As for not getting it - Elite, I do recall and I just couldn't make any money. I come on here - as a lot of people do - to air their frustrations and hope for some inspiration. So that gets tiresome for some people. I understand that and as I said above - I'll take it on the chin and try and be a bit less negative.

My "issues" with this game are minor - absolutely. But I don't think they're anything to do with complexity, nuance and challenge. Checkpoint saves are a cheat for difficulty. Not a huge problem, but I'd like a patch where I can save before I do something daft. The other issue (and by far the most frustrating) about checkpoint saves (and ill placed ones) is when the game does something daft (the "you can't climb there" thing, the soldier napping and no way to grab him until he wakes up etc)

These have been frustrations for me - but only on discovering them. Once I knew they were there, it's cool.

Have they ruined the game? No. Will I learn to take more care? Yes. So is the game porked? No. For example, the soldier napping thing - so what....I couldn't grab him and he woke up. Now I just don't go near soldiers napping in beds. But I thought it was worth mentioning because imo it's perfectly reasonable to expect you could go up to a sleeping soldier on a bed (careful here) and grab him for interrogation. But you can't....I still thought it was worth bringing up.

I don't even know why I'm posting this - I'm enjoying it - I've just played better.

oh - as for me mentioning the "negative" aspect of using the Fultron everytime - I have since worked out that you can resupply and so I can see why you were sending everyone back. I think that may be a case in point for your post.

I also have the upgrade to my binoculars now which allows me to see the specs of a soldier. This means I can be more selective about who I send back.

Thanks for at least acknowledging that my critiques were valid because they are - however I get your point about them being minor and not ruining the game - but I haven't said that. Actually, I think I've just been luke warm to it. I had absolutely no perceptions whatsoever on what to expect from this game. I had never EVER played any of the previous titles and so had zero information. So I had no "pre-built" expectations to go on.


Maybe I've been watching too much Angry Joe. I'll try and cheer up.  O0

To everyone...just so I'm clear...the game isn't broke, I am enjoying it and my gripes mentioned whilst valid are minor in the grand scheme of things
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 07:57:53 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 05, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
JD.  Do you play with a controller?   Maybe it's make more sense to do so.  I'm still using keyboard and mouse but I may go the controller route if I get frustrated.
No I don't Jomni

Don't listen to me. Movement is fine. I struggled in a couple of places but once I've found them, it's all good in the hood.  ;D
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 01:24:03 PM
Never played an MGS game before, but I bought this one because of glowing reviews.

I sure hope it gets better.

The "prologue" really tested my patience.  An hour and a half of basically watching a movie with almost no input.  And, I'm sorry . . . it was not a good movie.  It was a very bad movie that made no sense and was packed full with stereotypes.  If it wasn't for the fact I had read all those good reviews - and I was already down 60 smackers - I would never have made it through the long bad movie at all.

Every now and then the game would let me enter some input for a few seconds, then it's back to a cut scene.  And there's no option for backing out into a menu to be found.  You're just stuck there.  The only time it let me "control" my guy for any period of time was when I had to hold down the W key for about 15 minutes while he laboriously crawled around.  But even then, W is all it was.  I couldn't even control which direction he crawled in.

Finally I am out of the prologue and it looks like yes, there really is fun stuff to do, but the controls are very kludgy.  Almost impossible to just ride your horse down the road.  I sound like a roadgrader destroying a fence when I'm "stealthing" up on some dude, but he doesn't hear me, doesn't put up any fight when I kill him.  Shooting is point and pray.

This is the only game I own that does not allow me to alt-tab to the desktop.  And that's important to me.  And this is probably the only game I've played since about 1990 that has no control over audio.  The only way to set volume is to set the volume on my system speakers.  Thank god, that at least I can get the control bar when I alt-tab.

No mouse support in menus?  Are you kidding me?  Bring up the key map and it shows me a game controller?

I hope I get past the stinky-turd parts into the fun parts, but I don't know if I ever will.  No alt-tab to desktop really sucks.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 01:35:32 PM
There is a way to ALT-TAB....select Full Screen instead of Borderless Full Screen and Windowed. I had it on Bordlerless Full Screen and I could not ALT-TAB - switched to Full Screen and I was good to go - and, as a bonus, the game is totally stable in ALT-TAB mode.  O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2015, 01:38:04 PM
You can also skip the cut scenes....not sure the command on a keyboard but on my controller you hit the back arrow button.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 01:35:32 PM
There is a way to ALT-TAB....select Full Screen instead of Borderless Full Screen and Windowed. I had it on Bordlerless Full Screen and I could not ALT-TAB - switched to Full Screen and I was good to go - and, as a bonus, the game is totally stable in ALT-TAB mode.  O0

Thanks, that might keep me going.  The post-prologue part looks like it might be fun.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 01:45:04 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2015, 01:38:04 PM
You can also skip the cut scenes....not sure the command on a keyboard but on my controller you hit the back arrow button.
ESC brings up a menu to skip the cutscene - however, whilst that first part was as much drag as it was intriguing, I was hooked to watching.

It was only a drag from a participation pov...but I enjoyed "watching" the intro (whilst thinking "WTF?") - and kudos for having a 24 member in there.

Contrary to what I seem to have been putting out in my posts, the game picks up. I still "don't get" what's very ground breaking about it, but it is a good game. I am only 2% complete so there's a lot to go.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 03:30:30 PM
Well I don't really want to skip cutscenes on first playthrough in a story-based game.  I'm just looking for something else - some way to set options - restart - whatever.  All I can do is "skip" or keep going.  As this cut scene goes on and on.  Especially since I didn't realize there was any way to alt-tab out, it looked like my only options were to keep going with this infinite cut-scene or power down and reboot.  What I kind of wanted to do was exit and come back and try the game again when I was a little more psychologically prepared to sit and watch grass grow for a while. 

As ports to PC go, this one is pretty bare bones, an obvious afterthought, and not thinking very long or hard after, either.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 03:42:23 PM
Quote from: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 03:30:30 PM
Well I don't really want to skip cutscenes on first playthrough in a story-based game.  I'm just looking for something else - some way to set options - restart - whatever.  All I can do is "skip" or keep going.  As this cut scene goes on and on.  Especially since I didn't realize there was any way to alt-tab out, it looked like my only options were to keep going with this infinite cut-scene or power down and reboot.  What I kind of wanted to do was exit and come back and try the game again when I was a little more psychologically prepared to sit and watch grass grow for a while. 

As ports to PC go, this one is pretty bare bones, an obvious afterthought, and not thinking very long or hard after, either.
boldwas me....and yeah. I felt like that. I didn't want to skip...no way...but I wanted it to move on.

I think this was mostly because the cut scenes were so long. It's not normally a problem - but it was a rather long intro with long cutscenes. Happily, the game doesn't continue in that vein and it's over to you.

The port issue you mention was kind of what I tried to put across when I was mentioning controlling the character. An example of that is (I mentioned) where it shows a shortcut to do something and it says to move the left or the right stick. I'm still not sure I've worked out the equivalent of the left and right stick on the keyboard/mouse...that is the games fault in the sense that it telling me to use the stick (because they've left it designed for the stick because it was designed for console) and also my fault because I haven't really  actually tried to work out what the stick option on the keyboard should be...it's probably on the internet somewhere.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 04:03:38 PM
There should be a notice in bright letters on the box:

WARNING!  You must watch a bad 90-minute movie before you can actually play the game!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2015, 04:11:56 PM
After I got through the prologue, I am enjoying it...I much prefer games where you don't just run/gun, but use stealth and some strategy.  I know they aren't the same games, but it kind of reminds me of Sniper Elite II/III, which I extremely liked.  I am not great at shooters so I never expected it to be the best game ever for me, just trying to get some simple pleasures out of it, which I think I'll get my money's worth in the end.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2015, 09:01:17 AM
I might be just missing it, but is there a way to see your inventory such as diamonds picked up?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
hmm...I think using your iDroid (tab) - I'm sure I've seen something through that.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2015, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
hmm...I think using your iDroid (tab) - I'm sure I've seen something through that.

I tried looking there, but couldn't readily see it...but maybe somehow missed it.  I would think it exists somewhere and the idroid would make sense.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:25:45 AM
When I open the iDroid and Select the Motherbase tab, there's a section that says resources. That tells you what you've collected overall. Is that what you wanted or was it more "mission" based?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2015, 09:35:32 AM
Thanks JD, I will try that....basically why I was asking is that I choose to restart a mission that I had previously picked up a Diamond.  But when I replay the mission, it is no longer available.  I would have thought restarting it would return the diamond back, but maybe once you find stuff regardless of starting over it stays with you so that is why I was trying to see if it had the diamond within inventory.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:42:29 AM
First of all, diamonds are "money" and therefore they go straight to your account as GMP - there's no way of looking to see how many you've collected that I know of...perhaps in the user profile.

As diamonds are money and go straight to your GMP account, I think that the diamonds that you find prior to a save checkpoint are put straight in to your account and cannot be retrieved again but diamonds that are collected after a checkpoint can be located again.

I just restarted a mission (from a checkpoint) about 5 times recently (trying different tactics out), and each time I went to the same cabin and picked up the same diamond under the bed.

I think  :)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 06, 2015, 11:34:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I own all the Metal Gear games (even the ones from before Solid in a special edition collection), including the 3D tactical card games which aren't even canonical and can only be played on the PSP -- and I'm also sure the first of those tactical 3D card games is the one I've played the most, I've never even touched the others. (Note: I don't own Revengeance yet. Or Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain. Though I probably will someday. To be thorough.)

And I'm rather sadistically enjoying the hell out of people stepping into MG5 and discovering the massive levels of whiskey tango foxtrottery in the game and story design.

Thus shall I live vicariously through you allllll!  >:D O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 06:34:33 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:42:29 AM
First of all, diamonds are "money" and therefore they go straight to your account as GMP - there's no way of looking to see how many you've collected that I know of...perhaps in the user profile.

As diamonds are money and go straight to your GMP account, I think that the diamonds that you find prior to a save checkpoint are put straight in to your account and cannot be retrieved again but diamonds that are collected after a checkpoint can be located again.

I just restarted a mission (from a checkpoint) about 5 times recently (trying different tactics out), and each time I went to the same cabin and picked up the same diamond under the bed.

I think  :)

Maybe it is the checkpoint doing it....since I can't for the life of me get the diamonds to be selectable again.  Maybe another dumb question, are diamonds even important to collect?  What are they used for?  Are they just for achievement purposes?  Or do you really need them to complete the game?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 07:19:15 AM
Man they are seriously important. They give you GMP which is currency (I don't know what it stands for and not particularly fussed)

GMP is used to research a new piece of kit and used when buying supplies and I think for paying your soldiers <- not sure on that last part.

But anything that costs in the game uses GMP and that is built up by collecting diamonds and I think mission parameters being met.

You can also sell resources collected in the field for GMP if yer stuck...but I think they are used for research also - so don't sell everything.

Alot of I thinks in their - but as JH correctly pointed out - I tend to jump in and go for it

If I hadn't put JH off the thread, he'd probably be able to help. If you've got any burning questions, I'd suggest a PM to him.

About your diamonds...are you saying they aren't there anymore (which I thought initially) or that they are there but you can't pick them up (not being selectable again)? I definitely think (if they aren't there) then they were collected prior to a checkpoint and anything you collect after a checkpoint will be there again - which makes sense so that people can't just reload a checkpoint and collect all the diamonds again giving them loads of GMP.

For the record, some diamonds are worth 10,000 and some 100,000. I would suggest doing the side mission that allows you to grab an interpreter. Then you can capture and quiz soldiers which, in turn, gives you information on the location of resources and diamonds - as well as specialists in the area.

I'd also upgrade your iDroid early on. That allows you to see soldiers stats. That way, you can be selective on who you are going to stun and send back and who to kill. All I do is use the binos and if the target has reasonable stats, I put a merker on them (left clicking) - that way I know not to kill that one after I interrogate him

I hope this helps.

By the way - if you are saying the diamonds are there but you just can't press R to select them, then there's an issue there that I haven't come across. The closest I have gotten to that is on under the bed and everytime I went to the bed it changed my stance to "hugging" (like at a wall) and I couldn't press R. It took some careful movement and fiddling but in the end I was able to find "that spot" that gave me the R option.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 07:23:04 AM
As for the diamond....I started a mission and during the first attempt the diamond was there and I collected it.  But then I decided to restart the mission and when I did that, the diamond was not there (not even shown to collect) anymore.  I understand not stockpiling the diamonds by restarting, but I guess I would have thought when you did a restart, it would take the diamond out of your account/inventory and put it back in to be collected again.

I guess I should just get over it and move on:)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 07:26:09 AM
I'm not sure. I DO know this...

I was about to infiltrate a base and I found a diamond (the one under the bed). When I left the room, I was spotted by an unseen enemy and the alarm kicked off. As I like to be stealthy, I reloaded the mission from the checkpoint and the diamond was in the same place and I was able to collect it. I did not check my GMP - but I would've thought it had gone back to what it was at the start of the checkpoint.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 07:35:00 AM
Not sure...but I am doing it a little different than you....I am not loading from the last checkpoint, but choosing the option to completely restart the mission....that is why I was thinking it would basically revert everything back to never happening in the mission, just like I never played it.  But must not be the case.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 07:42:26 AM
Next time you do that, check your GMP (in your iDroid - bottom right) to see what it's at. If when you restart it goes back to the value at the start of the mission, then I'd reckon that's a bug. If it doesn't, then it's no big deal I guess...as long as you get the GMP.

But I know for a fact from that particular mission and restarting from the checkpoint that the diamond was where it was previously. tbh, I wasn't expecting it to be there but it was. Also - I had restarted from the checkpoint on that mission several times and that diamond was there each time.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 01:53:32 PM
For you GR

This diamond was picked up by me. I restarted the mission from a checkpoint, and it was still there



That wee "jump to the floor" thing I did in that video is a habit I haven't been able to shake as of yet...using space to jump over things. I keep forgetting you don't jump in this...you climb.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 02:18:51 PM
No idea why not showing up for me:(
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 02:42:42 PM
I also restarted that mission by going back to the ACC (helicopter) and re-selecting the mission...so effectively restarting the mission...and it was there.

So sorry - I have no clue why they aren't re-showing for you.

I do know other things change - like the info soldiers tell you...restarting a mission does not get the same info from the soldiers as the last time.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 07, 2015, 10:13:54 PM
Aside from the wierd sci-fi plot, I'm really enjoying this one.

I've noticed some oddities with reloading checkpoints and missions; I FEEL like you don't lose the resources that you collected once you restart. Diamonds will reappear, but I THINK you can recollect. Same with heroism (reputation)

I started to notice this after i had to reload the second mission at least three times to complete all of the objectives . also, areas will repopulate with soldiers between missions, but the communications equipment will not.

My new technique is to clear an area using stealth then destroy the radios, air radar and AA guns. This will prevent the enemy from being able to call for reinforcements or shoot down choppers if/when you return to a village or base. With the enemy being isolated you can play more aggressively; in my case I will call for chopper support - devastating with the rocket add-on - and fight my way in with assault rifles, grenade launchers, and RPGs. It is a nice change, but you won't get the benefits of interrogating and locating resources.

Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 08, 2015, 10:35:41 AM
I think the game kicks ass and frankly, I'm becoming obsessed. I bought the official strategy guide and lately, it is all I'm thinking about. I bought Mad Max and Nobunaga and I have not even touched MAx and only scratched the tutorial of Nobunaga. All other gaming time has been spent with MGSV.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2015, 11:07:26 AM
^ I knew you'd be back if I stopped being a complete dick  :-*
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 08, 2015, 11:44:46 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2015, 11:07:26 AM
^ I knew you'd be back if I stopped being a complete dick  :-*

You weren't being a dick! lol

Just a debbie downer...I actually realized that you are playing the game on the pc and not using a gamepad, so I reconsidered your objections with respect to sluggish control. I can see control with mouse and keyboard being a PITA. I was considering starting a separate thread for the game in the console department for those of us who are playing on ps4, xbone, etc.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 08, 2015, 11:54:39 AM
dont make me buy it you bastards  :(  >:(
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Freyland on September 08, 2015, 01:02:59 PM
Geek, I have a code for the game that came with a rig I purchased that I would sell to you for half the Steam price (so, $30).  I will even be willing to send you the code before you send any funds, since I am the "new guy" by comparison.  PM as desired.

Jonathan
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 08, 2015, 01:12:59 PM
PM sent sir - thats a very generous gesture, thankyou

ive mentioned in my PM making sure you get the right money in the right currency - im all ears for ideas
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2015, 02:46:08 PM
Nice offer Freyland and geek - you're gonna regret it. It's a bit of a time sink. I've played 26 hours so far  :idiot2:

And JH - "Debbie downer"?  :P
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 08, 2015, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2015, 02:46:08 PM
Nice offer Freyland and geek - you're gonna regret it. It's a bit of a time sink. I've played 26 hours so far  :idiot2:

And JH - "Debbie downer"?  :P

Yes.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FObdC3uhPeEY%2Fhqdefault.jpg&hash=5feb756f06e1bddb9129459f813fd32436ccb6f7)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2015, 04:32:15 PM
lol

Ok - I'm a bit at a loss with the Motherbase. I'd appreciate any info you may have

I believe you can upgrade your base - but I can't see how to do that. I have captured gun emplacements and mortars, but can only sell them. Is that what they are for? To sell, or can you upgrade your base? Do you perhaps have to be a certain level (or your research staff) before you can upgrade the base? I noticed there are parts of the base with signs saying "Under Construction" or something similar.

I am off to look for info - but if you know anything - now's the time to tell me.  O0

*edit*
I did find this http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/metal-gear-solid-5-mother-base-guide/2900-311/4/


Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 08, 2015, 04:46:55 PM
This game is addictive.

Im finding that every new equipment unlock changes my entire approach to the game.

I've been watching YouTube videos and I can't believe how much equipment becomes available....rifles, RPGs, tanks, mercs, air strikes. The developers have made this quite a versatile game. Players are no longer limited to a stealthy approach for everything.

I also saw a video that showed Angola as a theater.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2015, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2015, 01:53:32 PM
For you GR

This diamond was picked up by me. I restarted the mission from a checkpoint, and it was still there



That wee "jump to the floor" thing I did in that video is a habit I haven't been able to shake as of yet...using space to jump over things. I keep forgetting you don't jump in this...you climb.

I still think the difference is your starting from a checkpoint, I am completely restarting the mission...only difference I can think of why your seeing something different.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 08, 2015, 06:24:49 PM
I think I'm missing out by playing more Nobunaga than this.  :-\
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2015, 12:29:40 AM
Game breaking bug.

http://mobile.geek.com/latest/257873-metal-gear-solid-v-has-a-game-breaking-bug-involving-quiet?origref=
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2015, 01:36:54 AM
The other extreme. For those who are sick of Sexy protagonists in video games.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/8/9275393/metal-gear-woman-lead-character-secret
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 06:17:48 AM
What was the point of choosing an avatar in the beginning of e game? You can even still alter it from the customization screen in the aerial command center, but what is the point? You don't play as the avatar...I presume it's your online persona only?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 06:23:43 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 06:17:48 AM
What was the point of choosing an avatar in the beginning of e game? You can even still alter it from the customization screen in the aerial command center, but what is the point? You don't play as the avatar...I presume it's your online persona only?
I was wondering the same thing - I spent ages on it - then I had a horn!

I came to the same conclusion as you - that it's your online avatar/persona
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 08:38:49 AM
What happens if you go back and replay a mission you have successfully completed, but then fail on the replay?

For instance, in the first 5 main story missions, I only completed 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 mission goals. I would like to go back and replay them to try to accomplish all the mission goals. However, not if failing means I lose anything or have to repeat my progress. Also, will I have all the gear I have unlocked since playing that past mission, or will it put me back to the where I was when I first beat the mission?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 08:38:49 AM
What happens if you go back and replay a mission you have successfully completed, but then fail on the replay?

For instance, in the first 5 main story missions, I only completed 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 mission goals. I would like to go back and replay them to try to accomplish all the mission goals. However, not if failing means I lose anything or have to repeat my progress. Also, will I have all the gear I have unlocked since playing that past mission, or will it put me back to the where I was when I first beat the mission?
I don't even know you can go back can you? Once a mission is complete, I thought it was greyed out in the menu. You can abandon a mission and go back to Motherbase and do that mission the next day (I'm sure) and you can stop a mission and reload from a checkpoint - but I thought completed missions were disabled.

I'm at work so can't check properly - just spit balling what I remember
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2015, 08:38:49 AM
What happens if you go back and replay a mission you have successfully completed, but then fail on the replay?

For instance, in the first 5 main story missions, I only completed 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 mission goals. I would like to go back and replay them to try to accomplish all the mission goals. However, not if failing means I lose anything or have to repeat my progress. Also, will I have all the gear I have unlocked since playing that past mission, or will it put me back to the where I was when I first beat the mission?
I don't even know you can go back can you? Once a mission is complete, I thought it was greyed out in the menu. You can abandon a mission and go back to Motherbase and do that mission the next day (I'm sure) and you can stop a mission and reload from a checkpoint - but I thought completed missions were disabled.

I'm at work so can't check properly - just spit balling what I remember

I'm pretty sure you can go back and replay them. I did this with the first motherbase training mission.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 09, 2015, 11:28:21 AM
I've been focusing on side missions. I purged my staff yesterday; fired all the C/D/E performers and aligned the right skills within the right shops. I've noticed that I'm getting better volunteers now, and the overall performance seems much more effective.

My new goal is to work on the side missions or just move to populated areas where I can find talented Soldiers. I will analyze every Soldier to find and extract B-rated Soldiers then loot whatever I can.

I'm also experimenting with more lethal routes. For example, once I can extract all the higher-rated Soldiers I usually call for chopper support to flush out baddies as I move through with grenades, rockets, and a machine gun.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 11:33:37 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on September 09, 2015, 11:28:21 AM
I've been focusing on side missions. I purged my staff yesterday; fired all the C/D/E performers and aligned the right skills within the right shops. I've noticed that I'm getting better volunteers now, and the overall performance seems much more effective.

My new goal is to work on the side missions or just move to populated areas where I can find talented Soldiers. I will analyze every Soldier to find and extract B-rated Soldiers then loot whatever I can.

I'm also experimenting with more lethal routes. For example, once I can extract all the higher-rated Soldiers I usually call for chopper support to flush out baddies as I move through with grenades, rockets, and a machine gun.
I need to do that with my staff. I have maxed out on research and Support I think and I've got 30 in the "waiting room". I need to go through and make sure I've got the right ones...then I need to stop picking up anything worse than C...currently I take any old crap...and they probably eat into my GMP.

Are you aware if you call a support chopper your "level" for completion is anchored at less than it could be (A I think)? It's pretty cool calling the support chopper in though...and they're good!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Sigma One on September 09, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
I just like calling in my chopper and hearing the music you have set to its speakers blare out as rockets and machine fire rain down from above:



I'm at about 15% completion with roughly 20 hours in. I find the side missions a great 'warmup' to do before story missions - practice loadouts and what buddies to bring along.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 09, 2015, 01:40:54 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 11:33:37 AM
Are you aware if you call a support chopper your "level" for completion is anchored at less than it could be (A I think)? It's pretty cool calling the support chopper in though...and they're good!

I am, but its just so awesome. I'm not interested in mission ratings.

I've only completed two missions. I'm trying to unlock the heavy recovery system so I can extract material containers.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 09, 2015, 01:44:35 PM
Thankyou Freyland, without you i wouldnt have spent the last 10 minutes watching Keifer Sutherlands ass crack  :P

im in
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: Sigma One on September 09, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
I just like calling in my chopper and hearing the music you have set to its speakers blare out as rockets and machine fire rain down from above:



I'm at about 15% completion with roughly 20 hours in. I find the side missions a great 'warmup' to do before story missions - practice loadouts and what buddies to bring along.
lol - 15% in at 20 hours? I'm 3% with 27 hours!!  :o

But yeah...the support helicopter is awesome  O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Sigma One on September 09, 2015, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: Sigma One on September 09, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
I just like calling in my chopper and hearing the music you have set to its speakers blare out as rockets and machine fire rain down from above:



I'm at about 15% completion with roughly 20 hours in. I find the side missions a great 'warmup' to do before story missions - practice loadouts and what buddies to bring along.
lol - 15% in at 20 hours? I'm 3% with 267 hours!!  :o

But yeah...the support helicopter is awesome  O0

267 HOURS!?

Are you on vacation?!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 02:28:47 PM
ooops....fixed
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2015, 02:35:52 PM
I've been doing the same as Apocalypse31 - focussing on the side missions.

I might jump into a proper one tonight
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Freyland on September 09, 2015, 03:33:03 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 09, 2015, 01:44:35 PM
Thankyou Freyland, without you i wouldnt have spent the last 10 minutes watching Keifer Sutherlands ass crack  :P

im in

:coolsmiley: O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Staggerwing on September 09, 2015, 08:57:51 PM
Sigma One! Good to see you hereabouts- Whatcha been up to?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on September 15, 2015, 10:28:47 AM
Love Sigma One's Robotech avatar, surprised there hasn't been an open world robotech scifi game....anyways, seriously considering getting MGSV....off to watch some lets play vids on youtube to see if that seals the deal.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2015, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: Skoop on September 15, 2015, 10:28:47 AM
Love Sigma One's Robotech avatar, surprised there hasn't been an open world robotech scifi game....anyways, seriously considering getting MGSV....off to watch some lets play vids on youtube to see if that seals the deal.

The game kicks ass. I'm obsessed with it.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 15, 2015, 07:10:43 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 15, 2015, 10:28:47 AM
Love Sigma One's Robotech avatar, surprised there hasn't been an open world robotech scifi game....anyways, seriously considering getting MGSV....off to watch some lets play vids on youtube to see if that seals the deal.

Because Robotech is the western packaging (bastardization) for a set of Japanese anime titles.  They basically changed the storylines and connected non-related anime titles together.  The most prominent one is Macross.  There are many Macross games and none of them will be ever ported to the West because of that Robotech snafu.   We did have some Robotech games but they weren't really outstanding.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 20, 2015, 03:51:20 PM
72 hours and I'm at about 40% now.

Here's what I'm producing from simple raid-style missions. As mentioned previously, I'll drop into Angola and drive a tank around just blasting checkpoints and completing as many side missions as I can. I will recover anything I can get my hands on, and I will recover every piece of material I can, to include flowers, which I will sell upon mission completion.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F416937162169010828%2FCD5B1645A060D15616CA8E537FA55AF1C385D8B1%2F&hash=bd5e8c0803e6a66a4147229f945c1959ca53655f)

Thats 1x A++ and 13x A+. I'm slowly moving my staff towards becoming A/A+ across the board
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Freyland on September 20, 2015, 04:05:04 PM
So, I have another code now, if some eager chap would like to have it.  Again, $30.  Post interest here. 
Having now redeemed one of these myself, you basically jump through some good at the specified geoforce website and it activates on Steam.  Pretty painless.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2015, 01:33:52 PM
Well, I'm 5% in, I have just received the Base Development module and according to Steam, I have 33 hours in the game. I've done 4 main missions and about half a dozen side missions.

Plenty of game left O0
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2015, 01:38:43 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2015, 01:33:52 PM
Well, I'm 5% in, I have just received the Base Development module and according to Steam, I have 33 hours in the game. I've done 4 main missions and about half a dozen side missions.

Plenty of game left O0

The crazy thing about it is that the game keeps getting better. I'm not getting bored at all. Your tool bag is constantly growing which permits you to approach missions in different ways so it never gets repetitive. Just when you think you've seen everything, you unlock an entirely new aspect that gives you new ways to play and deepens the overall experience.  I'm at 20% and must have at least 30 hours in. I'm not sure if the PS4 tracks your time in game the same way steam does. If so, I would like to look. I've completed 16 of the main story missions (I believe there are 50, or more) and at least 2 dozen of the side ops (I think there are over 100!).
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 21, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
I caved and bought over the weekend. I'm definitely impressed, though some aspects don't thrill me (as an inveterate hater of all things Zombie, the appearance of 'the Skulls' after rescuing Kaz Miller made me groan).

For you veterans out there -- wondering what you think of the stealth overall. My experience is just the first mission to Afghanistan to rescue Kaz, so very limited. But I get the sense that you don't actually need to be very stealthy to avoid notice. Seems you can ride D-Horse along the heights near enemies and still avoid detection. Or run through a creek splish-splash and nobody nearby hears. I've definitely had a few moments of "Can that guy really not see me? He's looking directly in my direction and I'm only 30 m. away, and it's daytime".

I guess it raises the question -- why not just go in Rambo-style?  I want to feel like the effort of going full stealth is really worth it, but if guards have such lousy awareness, does it even matter?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2015, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 21, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
I caved and bought over the weekend. I'm definitely impressed, though some aspects don't thrill me (as an inveterate hater of all things Zombie, the appearance of 'the Skulls' after rescuing Kaz Miller made me groan).

For you veterans out there -- wondering what you think of the stealth overall. My experience is just the first mission to Afghanistan to rescue Kaz, so very limited. But I get the sense that you don't actually need to be very stealthy to avoid notice. Seems you can ride D-Horse along the heights near enemies and still avoid detection. Or run through a creek splish-splash and nobody nearby hears. I've definitely had a few moments of "Can that guy really not see me? He's looking directly in my direction and I'm only 30 m. away, and it's daytime".

I guess it raises the question -- why not just go in Rambo-style?  I want to feel like the effort of going full stealth is really worth it, but if guards have such lousy awareness, does it even matter?

The "Mist", the Skulls and the Zombies do not really play a major role in the game so far. I would say they have popped up twice in the 16 story missions I have played and not at all in the approximately 20 or 30 side ops I have played. Furthermore, in each situation so far, I have not had to even fight them, since doing so has not been a mandatory mission objective. I agree though, the military action is so intriguing, the fantasy and super natural crap is totally unnecessary, but that is Hideo Kojima for you...

As for the stealth, I have not experienced any of those "why can't that guy see me" moments. I think the enemies ability to spot me has been pretty consistent and reasonable with my approach. I find that they spot me much easier in daylight than at night. In fact, I only operate at night, and if I'm still in the field after sunrise, something has gone wrong and I typically look for a spot to hide so I can smoke the phantom cigar and advance time to the night cycle. At night, I find they spot me much easier when I am standing or crouching and/or moving, as opposed to when I am crawling, or sitting still in the stealth pose. Additionally, when I happen to get caught in a spot light, they seem to notice something, as well, more often than not.  Remember, there are a lot of factors, including the abilities of the soldiers who are looking for you. Eventually, you will obtain gear that makes you much harder to spot.

I tend to go loud only as a last resort. I almost never approach a mission with the objective of going in hard and fast. it hurts your score ultimately and I do find that the challenge of the silent approach is more rewarding, enjoyable and even authentic.  But really, that is just my approach. One of the many beautiful things about the game is that there are so many different ways to play the game and still be successful. Its nice unlocking options that lend to the stealth approach, while also unlocking equipment and gear that can really unleash hell when the SHTF, which for me, is probably 80% of the time.  Its rare I get through a complete mission without having to go loud at least once or twice.   

Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2015, 02:28:33 PM
I agree with JH re the stealth. I've found them very consistent.

An example I can think of just recently was I was in a "fort" with a guy up on a ledge. He was using a spotlight and looking across the bondou. I went to go to the steps to climb up and I knocked over a barrel. I heard him going "Hmmm?" and then his "triangle" started flashing, indicating he was alerted. He came down to see what it was and I nagged him.

Same about being spotted. I accidentally walked into a light (controller/facing issue) and a guard that was in a building 30+ meters away spotted "something" (white indicator on your "hud" and his flashing triangle) and he came a looking.

I've also had them see "something" and not come...just look and decide they saw nothing and move on

But it's been fairly consistent in my experience.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 21, 2015, 02:35:02 PM
OK cool -- glad to hear you guys think going stealth is worth the effort, since that really is how I want to play. I've had some nice "oh s**t, lie very, very still" moments that are tense, and that's fun. But I haven't managed to infiltrate any base without eventually getting spotted and setting all hell loose. I really wanted to rescue Kaz without setting off alarms, but I just couldn't figure out how to carry him out of there without shooting my way out.

It's funny, I was willing to put up with Kojima's supernatural hoo-hah during the (long) opening sequence. The red-haired floating chick with the gas-mask and black strait-jacket seemed genuinely creepy to me, and even the Man On Fire struck me as reasonably cool. It gave the whole hospital sequence a very X-Files vibe that I overall liked. But when the Zombies showed up, I was just like, "Oh, come on!" I'm glad to hear they're not a major game feature.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2015, 02:39:14 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 21, 2015, 02:35:02 PM
OK cool -- glad to hear you guys think going stealth is worth the effort, since that really is how I want to play. I've had some nice "oh s**t, lie very, very still" moments that are tense, and that's fun. But I haven't managed to infiltrate any base without eventually getting spotted and setting all hell loose. I really wanted to rescue Kaz without setting off alarms, but I just couldn't figure out how to carry him out of there without shooting my way out.

It's funny, I was willing to put up with Kojima's supernatural hoo-hah during the (long) opening sequence. The red-haired floating chick with the gas-mask and black strait-jacket seemed genuinely creepy to me, and even the Man On Fire struck me as reasonably cool. It gave the whole hospital sequence a very X-Files vibe that I overall liked. But when the Zombies showed up, I was just like, "Oh, come on!" I'm glad to hear they're not a major game feature.

The stealth approach is definitely worth it, especially as you are building up your capability because sneaking around and knocking soldiers out in order to extract them with the fulton system is critical to building up your own forces. Once you have  built up your reputation through heroics, and have a combat unit that can go into the field, you will start getting quality volunteers which makes keeping the enemy alive for extraction less critical.

...by the way, the "floating chick" with the gas mask is actually a young boy, obviously with psychokinetic abilities.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 21, 2015, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 link=topic=10916.msg387722#msg387722
...by the way, the "floating chick" with the gas mask is actually a young boy, obviously with psychokinetic abilities.


I should have known. It all makes perfect sense, in hindsight.     :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 21, 2015, 03:11:45 PM
got miller out, only had to tranquilise two patrolling guards and then threw them off the cliff to their deaths - picked him up, and set off in wrong direction, got spotted by a guy with 'huh?' moment and when he found us i was pointing the gun at him so he put his hands up - judo chopped him and then picked miller up again, was spotted just as i cleared the last building on the way to the extraction, all hell broke loose but i was already too far clear for anyone to shoot

got to the rig - practiced the fulton stuff - for those on the PC, what the hell is the equivalent of 'push L right' or whatever it is you need to do to throw an enemy, would love to do it but im just beating them unconscious at the moment

now attempting to take out a Spetznatz officer, all was good until i stole the Kim Wilde tape playing, a guard came to see what happened to his tunes and spotted me through a window - resulting carnage. Always have a moment of conscience here - replay from last checkpoint or go all guns blazing, mainly because i want to do it stealthily - im happy restarting when its a UI error, but stealing the tape seemed to be my fault - i dunno

i see that i can now go back and try other missions where i have not completed certain tasks - will think about that

5 hours and 1% - awesome
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2015, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 21, 2015, 03:11:45 PM
...for those on the PC, what the hell is the equivalent of 'push L right' or whatever it is you need to do to throw an enemy, would love to do it but im just beating them unconscious at the moment
...
When you press the left mouse button to grab them, release and click the mouse button again whilst pushing a movement button. I think any of them work (W,A,S or D)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 21, 2015, 05:11:50 PM
Contrary to everyone, I enjoy "going loud".

I'll still conduct my recon to identify any skilled targets, but I have a mature enough staff and customized and effective weaponry to end things quickly.

Obviously, stealth is easier. I will normally isolate an objective by neutralizing guards with high power silenced sniper rifles. When the time comes, I will go cyclic with a grenade launcher or light machine guns.

It says a lot about the game that plays well both ways.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 21, 2015, 07:21:41 PM
do i need any fancy kit to see what an enemy soldiers stats are?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2015, 08:05:06 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 21, 2015, 07:21:41 PM
do i need any fancy kit to see what an enemy soldiers stats are?

You need to upgrade your binoculars to the second level. You should be able to do that fairly early on.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 21, 2015, 11:59:51 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on September 21, 2015, 05:11:50 PM
Contrary to everyone, I enjoy "going loud".

I'll still conduct my recon to identify any skilled targets, but I have a mature enough staff and customized and effective weaponry to end things quickly.

Obviously, stealth is easier. I will normally isolate an objective by neutralizing guards with high power silenced sniper rifles. When the time comes, I will go cyclic with a grenade launcher or light machine guns.

It says a lot about the game that plays well both ways.

Going loud is fun but more points can be earned by stealth.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on September 22, 2015, 01:33:49 PM
The game has been a blast so far, I've never played any of the series before.  One cool thing for me has been the ability to transfer seemly between my desktop and laptop.  I can play at work, then all my progress is immediately transferred to my desk top.  One advantage of a game that connects to an online server while you play.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 23, 2015, 03:00:35 PM
Hey, not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just came across this and it's pretty rad.

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-metal-gear-solid-v-1728007969 (http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-metal-gear-solid-v-1728007969)

Check out the video posted in the comments section. It provides an in-depth illustration of all the CQC moves Snake can do plus instructions for how to do them. There are a lot more CQC moves than I realized (like being able to slam guys into walls by grabbing them around corners).

I'm finding CQC is my stealth combat tactic of choice -- way more effective than the tranq gun, IMO, for capturing and interrogating enemies. Definitely going to start mixing more of these cool moves in...
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 23, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
Don't forget you can move whilst you have grabbed an enemy...so you might grab a guy who is in a light and doesn't move...but when you grab him, you can pull him out the light and then question/kill/stun him
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 23, 2015, 05:03:10 PM
I reached over the top of a ladder and yanked a guy out of the guard tower last night - nice
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 23, 2015, 07:56:33 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 23, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
Don't forget you can move whilst you have grabbed an enemy...so you might grab a guy who is in a light and doesn't move...but when you grab him, you can pull him out the light and then question/kill/stun him

And you can draw your side arm and shoot people while grappling.

You can also sneak on a guy and point your gun.  Then he will drop his gun and raise his arms.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Cyrano on September 25, 2015, 10:29:17 AM
So, do you all recommend mouse-and-keyboard or controller for optimal play?

(Yeah, hey, who am I to resist Kojima's magnum opus?)

Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 25, 2015, 10:39:51 AM
Controller 100%
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2015, 10:40:40 AM
Mouse and keyboard
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on September 25, 2015, 10:41:53 AM
Controller!

Tastes Great!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on September 25, 2015, 10:59:23 AM
im happy with M & K
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Lord Above, I cannot wait to get out of this nasty user interface mess with MGS1, to games where it's possible to use a controller in a shooter with any kind of consistency.

My hatred for MGS1 is pure and undefiled. But I shall persevere, so that I can say I've played it and can experience the whole story.

(That's the sequel to the game y'all are currently playing, btw.  >:D Well, not the direct sequel, more like the sequel to the sequel to the sequel of the game you're playing. Like hell am I playing the sequel to MGSV, or the sequel's sequel. I am not insane.)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Lord Above, I cannot wait to get out of this nasty user interface mess with MGS1, to games where it's possible to use a controller in a shooter with any kind of consistency.

My hatred for MGS1 is pure and undefiled. But I shall persevere, so that I can say I've played it and can experience the whole story.

(That's the sequel to the game y'all are currently playing, btw.  >:D Well, not the direct sequel, more like the sequel to the sequel to the sequel of the game you're playing. Like hell am I playing the sequel to MGSV, or the sequel's sequel. I am not insane.)

After playing MGSIV, MGSV and everything in between, I could never go back to the earlier titles. I always struggled with the controls on those games and as a result, I never stuck with them for more than a few minutes. MGSIV redefined the control mechanics and revolutionized the series in my opinion. Not sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on September 25, 2015, 06:38:42 PM
You guys realize you can mod weapons and almost create new ones ?  I just got the legendary weapons specialist and now I can customize weapons.  It now makes sense to start developing multiple weapons in the same class cause you can mix and match parts to make an improved weapon.  It's really cool and yet another layer to this surprisingly great game.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: endfire79 on September 25, 2015, 06:44:40 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmakeitstoopid.com%2Fimg%2Fcomic%2F92.gif&hash=f2309ba217288a0b05f7be1b1cbbb3812fcbcaa7)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 25, 2015, 07:18:13 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 25, 2015, 06:38:42 PM
You guys realize you can mod weapons and almost create new ones ?  I just got the legendary weapons specialist and now I can customize weapons.  It now makes sense to start developing multiple weapons in the same class cause you can mix and match parts to make an improved weapon.  It's really cool and yet another layer to this surprisingly great game.

I only wish I had more than 3 slots per weapon. I have a .308 semi auto sniper rifle that has at least 300 kills.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
Out of curiosity, is Quiet a Kurd? Does she call or think of Snake as Saladin?

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2015, 04:27:49 PMNot sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...

For the story, and for the experience of having the battle scars of a longtime MGS player.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: endfire79 on September 25, 2015, 07:45:51 PM
I haven't been on the Metal Gear boat since the NES releases.  It's nice to see a franchise just get better and better throughout the ages.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2015, 02:12:45 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
Out of curiosity, is Quiet a Kurd? Does she call or think of Snake as Saladin?

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2015, 04:27:49 PMNot sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...

For the story, and for the experience of having the battle scars of a longtime MGS player.
I thought this was the "prequel"? I thought this edition starts before the other MGS stories?

I don't know...but yes Skoop - I had seen that on a video and good find endifre79
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 26, 2015, 12:17:19 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2015, 02:12:45 AM
I thought this was the "prequel"? I thought this edition starts before the other MGS stories?

It's about halfway through the (current) canonical story; I figured I would play them in production order so as to get the effect of story revelations as the author (Hideo Kojima) intended, although I know the broad story outline already and some of the specifics.


Current story order, not counting non-canon games.


Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (also called Subsistence) -- 5th game made. Introduces the guy you're playing as in MGSV, called Naked Snake at the time. He'll be the main character up through V. Set early in the Vietnam War, 1964.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops -- 6th game made, set in 1970. Only available on the Playstation Portable. Plot is basically the same as V but set in South America. Not actually made by Kojima, and almost entirely ignored, but still technically considered canon (by Kojima himself) although it could be dropped at any time. Snake is making his mercenary group and fighting for territory.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker -- 8th game made, set in Costa Rica 1974. Originally made for PSP, released with an HD upgrade later for PS3 and XB306. Written by Kojima to be MGS 5, and still kind-of regarded as 5 -- this game is why the current game uses V instead of 5 in its title! (Also because Snake is first called Victory Snake here if I recall correctly.) Loosely remakes, updates, and mostly replaces Portable Ops.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain -- 10th game made. GZ is set in 1975, and TPP is set in 1984. Loosely remakes and updates PW, although PW is still explicitly canon.

Metal Gear -- 1st game made, set in Outer Heaven Africa in 1995. TPP is meant to be the final prequel to this game, which is why Kojima has been saying TPP will be his final MG game since all the story blocks are now filled in. Can be found on the HD Metal Gear trilogy pack (as part of MGS3) for PS3. The next generation takes over the storyline from this point.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -- 2nd game made, set in Zanzibar Africa 1999. (Actually there had been another 2nd game made first, but this one replaces it in canon.) Also playable from MGS3 in the HD collection.

Metal Gear Solid: Integral (also known as The Twin Snakes for its much superior Gamecube re-release) -- 3rd game made, but the series softly reboots its numbering here due to the shift to 3D action (sort of) from the two (actually 3) previous 2D games. Features enough of a plot recap of prior two (canonical) games to give the player an idea what's going on and why it's important. Set in Alaska, 2005 (or 2006 depending on which version is being played).

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (also known as Substance) -- 4th game made, mostly about introducing the hero Raiden but also where Kojima started heavily working on the backplot before Metal Gear. (Heavily-working-on-the-backplot is also why he next went with a deep prequel for MGS3.) Set on a tanker in 2007, and in Manhattan 2009.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots -- 7th game made, and generally regarded as the end of the main storyline. Set in 2014.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- 9th game made, an epilogue of sorts and/or the start of a new storyline, focusing on Raiden again. Set in 2018 (although it was originally intended to be set between MGS2 and 4.)


This does not count various non-canon games, the most notable being the two Metal Gear Solid: Ac!d games for the PSP, which use a very interesting turn-based card-playing mechanic to simulate the standard series gameplay on the usual 3D maps.


Annnnnnnd.... now you are insane. Sorry.  >:D
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 26, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Did I mention that monsters from the Monster Hunter game series are in the Peace Walker game, and one of them forms the basis for the original "Metal Gear" later? Because that monster was based on the "Metal Gear" from this series of games?

This series, man. This series.  :))
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on September 27, 2015, 04:35:10 PM
Did all the games have the gameplay of TPP or is this a new style for the series ? 
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on September 28, 2015, 04:34:05 AM
Quote from: Skoop on September 27, 2015, 04:35:10 PM
Did all the games have the gameplay of TPP or is this a new style for the series ?

This is similar to Peace Walker (Sony PSP) where your run a PMC (but very small mission maps instead of open world). Backstory refers to that game by the way and Ground Zeros.

The other previous titles do not have the open world PMC aspect.  They are very story based with no side missions and no gadget research.


I just used a "grunt" on a mission. What's the advantage of doing this?
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 28, 2015, 09:18:16 AM
Quote from: Skoop on September 27, 2015, 04:35:10 PM
Did all the games have the gameplay of TPP or is this a new style for the series ?

What Jomni said. Peace Walker (and Portable Ops) use a much more limited version of the gameplay of TPP, but everything else is just as (very very plotty) stealth action 3rdpersonshooter. Very similar in concept and execution to the Splinter Cell games, and not by accident since those games were meant to be a more realistic MGS. (See also Syphon Filter.)
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on October 11, 2015, 07:33:51 AM
so todays lesson is do not talk to undercoverjunior whilst trying to operate kb and mouse

'delete saved game data' click.........

'yeah we will go to the fair soon, brush your teeth first.......... brush your teeth.........

'are you sure you want to delete saved game data'

BRUSH YOUR TEETH

click - 'all saved game data deleted'

BRUSH YOUR............. oh balls

'brush my what?'

'never mind, just never mind'

back to the start and 30 mins of keifers arse - but i have turned off markers - i didnt feel honest been able to track baddies through walls - more stealth awaits
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 11, 2015, 08:05:31 AM
...if that happened to me, I'd have to commit seppuku.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on October 11, 2015, 11:16:28 AM
I've finished the story and only have 3 side missions left but the game says 61% complete.  Wonder what else I have to do?  Any one played the FOB missions online ?  It stinks when someone invades your FOB when your not playing the game.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on October 11, 2015, 12:37:17 PM
Quote from: Skoop on October 11, 2015, 11:16:28 AM
I've finished the story and only have 3 side missions left but the game says 61% complete.  Wonder what else I have to do?  Any one played the FOB missions online ?  It stinks when someone invades your FOB when your not playing the game.

Not sure, but maybe you need to complete all the goals for all the missions  to get 100% completion -?  There are plenty of missions I 'completed' by only doing the main goals, leaving lots of secondary goals undone.

I'm kind of surprised there's no way to opt out of the online FOB missions.  But apparently you can now buy 'insurance' for your FOB (I.e. actually purchase, micro-transaction style).
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 17, 2015, 02:38:19 AM
So...played through the prologue and the Miller rescue mission.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quickmeme.com%2Fimg%2Fc8%2Fc81b37760e68bcd46ef1a3a6041401bca98a8e1b865d4516a4a6401450eb5af5.jpg&hash=244a1a9ccce8362582584b62c2436e6311ca6ad8)

I don't even...seriously, what the Hell?

We have this great tactical game, but we'll start it off with you running away from some sort of floating psychic in a gas mask and a fright wig and her good buddy...Satan? Only, you can make him go away by dousing his flaming body in water, so there's that!

Weird...well, maybe it's in the past...yep, seems like I'm just getting Soviet troops now. Good. Got Miller and...what are those? Teleporting zombies with glowing eyes who conjure up guns out of thin air and...okay, now they're warping ahead of me and...

WHAT

THE

FUCK

The next person I encounter who proclaims that Hideo Kojima is a genius gets punched in the mouth.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on October 17, 2015, 02:43:06 AM
Wait till you see Quiet.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2015, 05:31:20 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2015, 02:43:06 AM
Wait till you see Quiet.

Wait until you see quiet's best friend, screamer.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2015, 06:12:30 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 17, 2015, 02:38:19 AM
...and...what are those? Teleporting zombies with glowing eyes who conjure up guns out of thin air and...okay, now they're warping ahead of me and...
Those turned up again - made me rage quit.  >:D
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2015, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2015, 06:12:30 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 17, 2015, 02:38:19 AM
...and...what are those? Teleporting zombies with glowing eyes who conjure up guns out of thin air and...okay, now they're warping ahead of me and...
Those turned up again - made me rage quit.  >:D

End of the Honey Bee mission? I didn't mind them so much because this time I got to kill the bastards.

Of course, the weird skull face guy and the giant mech...yeah...thanks, Japan!
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 02:50:35 PM
I died and just quit. I'll get back to it
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
I ran like a little girl. Every time I have tried to fight them, I've died. I really dislike the paranormal crap. Still, it's an outstanding game overall.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: jomni on October 21, 2015, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
I ran like a little girl. Every time I have tried to fight them, I've died. I really dislike the paranormal crap. Still, it's an outstanding game overall.

Ran into them in Africa again.  I just used my trusty RPG on them.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on October 21, 2015, 07:01:02 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 21, 2015, 06:35:26 PM
Ran into them in Africa again.  I just used my trusty RPG on them.

The "parasite skulls" squad?  Yeah, I tried running away about a dozen times before I read on the internets that no, you actually have to fight them this time. So I teched up D-Walker and eliminated the bastards, although it was close.

The Skulls = Worst. Enemy. Ever.

Seriously, could these guys be more infuriating??  I freaking hate encountering them. It's not fun.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
Once you get their pattern down, they aren't too difficult. Time your dive for when they're about to melee to avoid being half killed in one shot. Unload on them when they're slowly stalking in towards you (prior to their melee strike). NEVER stay out in the open, or they'll collectively blast you to pieces. If you do take a bunch of damage, just go running through any area that contains a lot of obstacles and cover until you heal. Turrets can hit them hard, but their melee will destroy the entire thing (learned that the wrong way when they obliterated an AA gun I was firing at one of them) with that melee strike...so don't stay too long! Stick and move, stick and move, stick and move.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 22, 2015, 12:28:12 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
I ran like a little girl. Every time I have tried to fight them, I've died. I really dislike the paranormal crap. Still, it's an outstanding game overall.
lmao

I think I was actually screaming inside like a wee girl too. Don't like 'em...scary. I don't know what the "HoneyBee" did...but when I aimed it, they were just around me blowing the crap out of me...so I started running and crying and then died.

Exit to come back another day.

I've actually hardly touched the PC from a gaming perspective since I had to rebuild it.  :(
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: Skoop on October 22, 2015, 07:58:58 PM
You can actually unlock the parasite suit and go back to the missions with skulls and knock em out then extract them to get parasites to use.  Once you do this you can warp around like them, haven't done it and you can't use it in fob missions so I kinda don't care.  It might have been useful early game, but it's pointless now.
Title: Re: Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on October 23, 2015, 08:24:18 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
Once you get their pattern down, they aren't too difficult. Time your dive for when they're about to melee to avoid being half killed in one shot. Unload on them when they're slowly stalking in towards you (prior to their melee strike). NEVER stay out in the open, or they'll collectively blast you to pieces. If you do take a bunch of damage, just go running through any area that contains a lot of obstacles and cover until you heal. Turrets can hit them hard, but their melee will destroy the entire thing (learned that the wrong way when they obliterated an AA gun I was firing at one of them) with that melee strike...so don't stay too long! Stick and move, stick and move, stick and move.

Meant to say good tips, by the way.

I still hate these guys.

Think I need to take a break from MGSV for the time being -- have kind of stuffed myself full the past couple weeks, and some aspects are starting to feel a bit stale and routine --