For Malcolm.
There will be Elite Dangerous and sussing out the new systems
There will be Rome II and the Spartans
There will be making a volcano for juniors school project, and then tobogonnaning with junior
Have a great weekend guys
You guys already have SNOW?!?!?!????!! DAMN, that's cold! Any game time this weekend will likely consist of Warlock, Civ, and/or To End All Wars. It's just a matter of finding the time.
I just loaded Endless Space Gold so some 4x space gaming is in store for me and maybe some Warlock Master of the Arcane as a change of pace.
Quote from: MetalDog on October 03, 2014, 06:03:26 AM
You guys already have SNOW?!?!?!????!! DAMN, that's cold! Any game time this weekend will likely consist of Warlock, Civ, and/or To End All Wars. It's just a matter of finding the time.
its an indoor, artificial job - its cold but not that cold
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 03, 2014, 06:03:26 AM
You guys already have SNOW?!?!?!????!! DAMN, that's cold! Any game time this weekend will likely consist of Warlock, Civ, and/or To End All Wars. It's just a matter of finding the time.
its an indoor, artificial job - its cold but not that cold
The operative words to use when discussing work with geek is "sun tanning bed".
I'm not sure what I'll play this weekend, but I will be trying to catch some of the baseball games on TV.
Still digging endless Legends, and I hope to finish my Vaulters campaign this weekend.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Xbox 360 controller, which should be here tomorrow. I have a bunch of games that are really tough to play with keyboard and mouse like Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs, a couple of the Batman Arkham games, and my latest find, Hand of Fate. I'll be testing some or all of those this weekend as well.
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 05:49:44 AM
For Malcolm.
There will be Elite Dangerous and sussing out the new systems
There will be Rome II and the Spartans
There will be making a volcano for juniors school project, and then tobogonnaning with junior
Have a great weekend guys
I actually brought the album just on the strength of that track.
Quote from: Bison on October 03, 2014, 07:35:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 03, 2014, 06:03:26 AM
You guys already have SNOW?!?!?!????!! DAMN, that's cold! Any game time this weekend will likely consist of Warlock, Civ, and/or To End All Wars. It's just a matter of finding the time.
its an indoor, artificial job - its cold but not that cold
The operative words to use when discussing work with geek is "sun tanning bed".
I'm not sure what I'll play this weekend, but I will be trying to catch some of the baseball games on TV.
one slip and im cursed to carry that round with me forever!
grudge bearing bastard :P
Quote from: bob48 on October 03, 2014, 07:37:25 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 05:49:44 AM
For Malcolm.
There will be Elite Dangerous and sussing out the new systems
There will be Rome II and the Spartans
There will be making a volcano for juniors school project, and then tobogonnaning with junior
Have a great weekend guys
I actually brought the album just on the strength of that track.
To me, AC/DC was one of rock's great bands until the singer opened his mouth and ruined it all. They should have stuck to instrumentals. Sorry, just my honest opinion.
Age of Wonders III...just getting into the tutorial campaign but it is addictive like gaming crack. And the elves are a little, er...Azzy for me. Do other races in AoWIII play a little, er...darker?
Also holding out for the price of Shadow of Mordor to drop. And Armenia still sings its siren song for me in Rome 2. Want to get some seasonal dark fantasy gaming in before taking on that campaign though.
Couple of items on tap for the weekend.
- SteelBeasts with DoW
- Elite Dangerous
- Starpoint Gemini II
- Rome Total War II
- Age of Wonders III
- Distant Worlds
- Xenonauts
- Crusader Kings II
Yea, I was out last weekend so I am trying to catch up and I know I won't be able to play all of these... but they are at least on my list.
PE
Just pumped up my CKII with the sale so I need to get back into that.... or wait for new expansion.... :P
Also have a face to face game of Sergeants! setup for tomorrow morning. Should be fun.
Also have a CiV epic campaign going as Japan in an gigantic map of Earth.
Quote from: Barthheart on October 03, 2014, 08:08:41 AM
Also have a face to face game of Sergeants! setup for tomorrow morning. Should be fun.
do you actually get to
play this time?!
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 03, 2014, 08:24:27 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 03, 2014, 08:08:41 AM
Also have a face to face game of Sergeants! setup for tomorrow morning. Should be fun.
do you actually get to play this time?!
Mostly.... teaching a newbie to play. O0
If I don't sleep for the next two days I might be able to get to the whole list:
Rome Total War 2: Finally started clicking with me this week. Just finished off the last Etruscan league fleet and concluding my first war with Carthage, where I took two cities form them. Going to redistribute units from my existing legions into a new 4th legion and begin a drive against the barbarians in the north.
Command: Scenario testing, as well as testing out the latest beta patch.
Wasteland 2: Was my most anticipated game of the year and its been out for two weeks and I've barely touched it.
Distant Worlds: Continue my AAR.
EUIV MP: Was still undecided last night, but may be starting an MP game with Baloogan and couple of others from the Command community.
Quote from: Rayfer on October 03, 2014, 07:43:49 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 03, 2014, 07:37:25 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 05:49:44 AM
For Malcolm.
There will be Elite Dangerous and sussing out the new systems
There will be Rome II and the Spartans
There will be making a volcano for juniors school project, and then tobogonnaning with junior
Have a great weekend guys
I actually brought the album just on the strength of that track.
To me, AC/DC was one of rock's great bands until the singer opened his mouth and ruined it all. They should have stuck to instrumentals. Sorry, just my honest opinion.
I totally agree with you. He does not so much sing as scream.
A metric tonne (see, I spelled it differently because it's metric and that's foreign), of rehearsals and shows this weekend, but:
1. CM:RT
2. CM:BN...finally winding down a months-long game of "Monty's Butchers" PBEM. Exceptional scenario utterly ruined for me by three crummy Panthers.
3. Campaign Leipzig
4. Memoir '44 with the boy. We're almost done with the base scenarios, but I really want to set up one of the "D-Day Landings" double scenarios
5. Saturday night is targeted for "Zombie 15 Minutes"
6. All y'all talking about Rome II have almost got me persuaded they've un-fargled the game. Still not quite persuaded, but ever part of me wants to believe you.
7. PzC Normandy if Vance can suss out this complicated "computer" thing.
8. And I got a Steam gift card for my birthday. This, of course, only made the Steam Paradox sale worse because there's nothing more horrid than an awesome sale and a full Steam wallet to remind one that you've already bought every damned game you wanted and HOIIV isn't out until 2015.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
I've been playing mostly Jack & Shit lately. And an occasional short stretch of AOW3 or Wasteland 2.
Been in another funk the last couple weeks. :idiot2:
Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2014, 07:54:17 AM
And Armenia still sings its siren song for me in Rome 2.
Speaking of Rome II...I'm out of there til Attila comes. And for CKII....not until Charlemagne turns up. Plus I dumped CLOD so the only flight sims I have are RoF, BoS and DCS.
So this weekend (while the less gamey parts of the family are still in Tuscany), its some flight sims, some ARMAIII (the 4-year-old likes diving down to the wrecks and so on), some WitPAE PBEM (the Allies still have
substantial naval units in the Pacific) and Wintergewitter in boardgame form.
I got into AC/DC when Brian was fronting them. When I heard Bon Scott, though...his voice had a mellower side that Brian's didn't. Brian's voice can sound like fingernails down a chalkboard sometimes, and I prefer Scott's voice, but AC/DC still rules. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdailydieseldose.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F12%2Fsmiley-headbanging.gif&hash=d0e1913caf30498da47dd769a7a0af23061613f1) (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdailydieseldose.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F12%2Fsmiley-headbanging.gif&hash=d0e1913caf30498da47dd769a7a0af23061613f1) (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdailydieseldose.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F12%2Fsmiley-headbanging.gif&hash=d0e1913caf30498da47dd769a7a0af23061613f1)
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 08:57:30 AM
I've been playing mostly Jack & Shit lately.
Yea... and Jack just left town!
Been in the funk as well.
GRRRRRRRRRR
I bought a bunch of stuff in the Steam sale including some awesome DLC for Warlock...and I'm working from home today...BUT I MUST have discipline and not crack those suckers open until later this afternoon!
/firstworldproblems, lol...
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 03, 2014, 09:35:16 AM
GRRRRRRRRRR
I bought a bunch of stuff in the Steam sale including some awesome DLC for Warlock...and I'm working from home today...BUT I MUST have discipline and not crack those suckers open until later this afternoon!
/firstworldproblems, lol...
Heh...I am going home early from work today to do exactly that! :D
Nefaro --
Tell you what, I need SPProPE practice and am probably not good against humans.
I'll jump into an APC and let you chase me over the North German plan, cackling maniacally as I go...should be an hoot.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: Cyrano on October 03, 2014, 09:52:09 AM
Nefaro --
Tell you what, I need SPProPE practice and am probably not good against humans.
I'll jump into an APC and let you chase me over the North German plan, cackling maniacally as I go...should be an hoot.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Shouldn't that be a jeep? ;)
Decisive Campaigns WtP: Case Yellow where my panzers have just captured Abbeville and crossed the Marne on the way to Paris. Looks like the Fat Lady will be singing in German soon and then I'll go back to Skyrim for a bit. I haven't fed my dog Meeko there for some time. He likes Skeever tails.
Couldn't find any dark Halloweenish fantasy games for this month that I hadn't already played to death -- other than the new Mordor game, I guess, which I want but may wait for a sale and/or the PS3 release next month as a birthday gift (along with !!ARKHAM KNIGHT!!).
So earlier this week I started writing up and screenshotting my next AAR, which won't be a narrative this time, but more of an instructional play-as-I-go tutorial of an older game that gets a lot of bad press but which is still the fullest game of the topic currently available -- even with a couple of undoubtedly much better expansions of definitely much better game systems arriving soon this season but not here yet -- thus explaining why I'm playing this game while waiting for at least one of those DLCs to finally release...
.... yes, that seems sufficiently obscure enough. >:D
Will continue this for the weekend, but I want to get sufficiently far enough along to ensure I'll have enough material to make an AAR worth the time to post and read. Otherwise I'd only be invading the AAR section for not a great purpose.
So to speak.
Ahem.
AHEM!
I don't really know what to play this weekend. I'm desperately trying to finish a book I've read before to get it fresh in my mind for the next one, so I may just do that. But if I do play anything, it will be:
CS:GO
Hexcells
Prison Architect
Strife
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 08:57:30 AM
I've been playing mostly Jack & Shit lately. And an occasional short stretch of AOW3 or Wasteland 2.
Been in another funk the last couple weeks. :idiot2:
I wish you would come back to
WOFF and participate in the Campaigns that Rick Rawlins has organized. It's loads of fun.
As for this weekend, definitely more
Wings Over Flanders Fields, and I'm starting to feel in the subsim mood. I may install and mod up
Silent Hunter 4. Not sure, though. I'm kinda searching for another game to play when I'm not flying WOFF.
Battle Academy 2 - currently 5 coop games going, and I'll look for more.
Steel Beasts with DoW
Maybe some Insurgency to scratch my FPS itch.
Quote from: Cyrano on October 03, 2014, 09:52:09 AM
Nefaro --
Tell you what, I need SPProPE practice and am probably not good against humans.
I'll jump into an APC and let you chase me over the North German plan, cackling maniacally as I go...should be an hoot.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
I haven't even played SBPro lately although I may do so sometime this weekend.
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 03, 2014, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 08:57:30 AM
I've been playing mostly Jack & Shit lately. And an occasional short stretch of AOW3 or Wasteland 2.
Been in another funk the last couple weeks. :idiot2:
I wish you would come back to WOFF and participate in the Campaigns that Rick Rawlins has organized. It's loads of fun.
As for this weekend, definitely more Wings Over Flanders Fields, and I'm starting to feel in the subsim mood. I may install and mod up Silent Hunter 4. Not sure, though. I'm kinda searching for another game to play when I'm not flying WOFF.
I did one of those. It was a lot of fun, despite dying after about five missions because I didn't flee fast enough.
I love the brutality of WOFF - one small miscalculation and you are dead. Interestingly, the same can happen to the AI pilots. O0 I'll certainly be flying it again once the funk has passed. Between single-player WOFF and multi-player SB Pro PE, my sim immersion should be well satiated.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
I love the brutality of WOFF - one small miscalculation and you are dead.
Ain't this the truth. I've been playing a lot of WOFF the past month or two, and the game seems to get harder, not easier. I don't know how many pilot careers I've burned through -- a lot. My best career by far, I had 7 kills with another claim pending, when I nosed over my Albatros DII in an attempted crash landing, and that was that. I don't think I've gotten further than 13 or 14 missions in any career. I have no idea how a player can survive many months in a tour, much less the entire war.
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 03, 2014, 03:05:00 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
I love the brutality of WOFF - one small miscalculation and you are dead.
Ain't this the truth. I've been playing a lot of WOFF the past month or two, and the game seems to get harder, not easier. I don't know how many pilot careers I've burned through -- a lot. My best career by far, I had 7 kills with another claim pending, when I nosed over my Albatros DII in an attempted crash landing, and that was that. I don't think I've gotten further than 13 or 14 missions in any career. I have no idea how a player can survive many months in a tour, much less the entire war.
My best was around 14-15 kills and surviving about six weeks. Pretty sure that was with a Sopwith Camel. But most are over within two weeks, especially if I haven't been flying the squadron's aircraft type recently before starting.
At some points I feel like I'm getting kills too fast so I keep the option to manually advance the campaign on. Then I'll use that to do only one patrol a day instead of two, or skip a whole day. Helps keep my lucky streaks of finding vulnerable enemy flights a bit more even regarding time frame.
I only started doing that recently in my careers, however, so my six weeker was still legit. He did a fair bit of "RUN AWAY" when it was called for. I think that's the key to surviving very long - sensing a bad situation before it happens. The AI pilots aren't always great pilots (by design) but they're able to out-run me, all things being equal. Way more efficient at holding their speed than I. Which means they can catch up to me eventually, so if I decide to run for home I gotta do it before they get too close. :o
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 07:40:38 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 03, 2014, 07:35:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 03, 2014, 06:03:26 AM
You guys already have SNOW?!?!?!????!! DAMN, that's cold! Any game time this weekend will likely consist of Warlock, Civ, and/or To End All Wars. It's just a matter of finding the time.
its an indoor, artificial job - its cold but not that cold
The operative words to use when discussing work with geek is "sun tanning bed".
I'm not sure what I'll play this weekend, but I will be trying to catch some of the baseball games on TV.
one slip and im cursed to carry that round with me forever!
grudge bearing bastard :P
So what's the in shade of orange this year?
i didnt do it this year, i sent a minion
Well, get your minion to send in a turn as well. :knuppel2:
(I'm working nights this weekend so won't be able to process too many turns).
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
i didnt do it this year, i sent a minion
More of a yellow hue this year, eh?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fdc%2F58%2Fb7%2Fdc58b71d78ef1dba7b6e868b0940f405.jpg&hash=660d99948dfc111340869beeff98fdec8ab35d0b)
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 03, 2014, 03:52:47 PM
Well, get your minion to send in a turn as well. :knuppel2:
(I'm working nights this weekend so won't be able to process too many turns).
lol, its on in the background, im trying to solve our colonial difficulties
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 03, 2014, 03:52:47 PM
Well, get your minion to send in a turn as well. :knuppel2:
(I'm working nights this weekend so won't be able to process too many turns).
lol, its on in the background, im trying to solve our colonial difficulties
Hmmm...maybe you should stop having your "minion" living your life and just accept responsibility for your own actions young man.
i have minions to allow more gaming time - havent quite got the balance yet
Playing a fun CMRT PBEM.
Plowing through the 1939 DLC for Panzer Corps.
Rediscovering how fun it is to play IL2 1946.
Going to jam with old band mate tonight...
PBEM PON during the weekend..
Maybe some FSX.. Rome II.. the usual games.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 03:21:16 PM
I think that's the key to surviving very long - sensing a bad situation before it happens.
This is sage advice. No question I've had careers come to an ignominious end because I pushed a situation or advantage longer than I should've. One thing I've come to hate is when my 'Kette' (I've mostly restricted myself to Albatros campaigns thus far) decides to pursue an enemy deep behind enemy lines, and I'm just thinking, "C'mon guys, time to turn around and RTB, don't you think??"
That's a good indication of how convincing WOFF is, in a way -- I genuinely start to get anxious when I'm forced to loiter or patrol in dangerous skies.
I'm impressed, btw, that your best career was flying the Camel, Nefaro. Not an easy crate to fly...
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 03, 2014, 07:00:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 03:21:16 PM
I think that's the key to surviving very long - sensing a bad situation before it happens.
This is sage advice. No question I've had careers come to an ignominious end because I pushed a situation or advantage longer than I should've. One thing I've come to hate is when my 'Kette' (I've mostly restricted myself to Albatros campaigns thus far) decides to pursue an enemy deep behind enemy lines, and I'm just thinking, "C'mon guys, time to turn around and RTB, don't you think??"
That's a good indication of how convincing WOFF is, in a way -- I genuinely start to get anxious when I'm forced to loiter or patrol in dangerous skies.
LOL! Same here. Or thinking that your flight leader should engage that group that's trying to get around behind us. Did he even see them?! "Look over there you bastard!"
Quote
I'm impressed, btw, that your best career was flying the Camel, Nefaro. Not an easy crate to fly...
Once you get used to it, you can tear some shit up. >:D
In my experience with WOFF, I think the Nieuport 17/23/24s are some of the toughest to fly, followed by the Fokker Dr.I. They have some nasty structural limits that I often pass when in a tight dogfight, snapping wings off from the Gs. I can usually judge how far I can push it with other aircraft by the creaking sounds of the airframe but it's difficult to get a similarly good gauge by the sounds of these as it can happen so much more quickly there isn't much warning.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 07:09:25 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 03, 2014, 07:00:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2014, 03:21:16 PM
I think that's the key to surviving very long - sensing a bad situation before it happens.
This is sage advice. No question I've had careers come to an ignominious end because I pushed a situation or advantage longer than I should've. One thing I've come to hate is when my 'Kette' (I've mostly restricted myself to Albatros campaigns thus far) decides to pursue an enemy deep behind enemy lines, and I'm just thinking, "C'mon guys, time to turn around and RTB, don't you think??"
That's a good indication of how convincing WOFF is, in a way -- I genuinely start to get anxious when I'm forced to loiter or patrol in dangerous skies.
LOL! Same here. Or thinking that your flight leader should engage that group that's trying to get around behind us. Did he even see them?! "Look over there you bastard!"
Quote
I'm impressed, btw, that your best career was flying the Camel, Nefaro. Not an easy crate to fly...
Once you get used to it, you can tear some shit up. >:D
In my experience with WOFF, I think the Nieuport 17/23/24s are some of the toughest to fly, followed by the Fokker Dr.I. They have some nasty structural limits that I often pass when in a tight dogfight, snapping wings off from the Gs. I can usually judge how far I can push it with other aircraft by the creaking sounds of the airframe but it's difficult to get a similarly good gauge by the sounds of these as it can happen so much more quickly there isn't much warning.
You guys need to man up and join us in trying to survive in the campaigns of WOFF!
Hah! Survive?! ;D
I'll definitely join the attempts at survival when I'm back into it.
I enjoy reading the aar's from the vets doing the Rick Rawlings challenges like you, Slick. But those are played with 'full real' settings, right? I'd last 2-3 missions max in WOFF without crutches like plane labels, HUD, Tac display, etc.
Well, most of this Friday so far has been spent not working on my hinted AAR project but rather about 4 hours and counting downloading files (and internal updates, and high def graphics) for Lord of the Rings Online. >:(
After thinking about it today at work (and reading some other threads), it seemed like a good (and generally free) way to celebrate October with an atmospheric game I hadn't played before. With 67% of the remaining 22% of the updates still remaining (maybe), I'm wondering if I made the right choice; I doubt I'll learn so tonight. :P
I don't generally care for MMOs but I did play LOTRO for a few months and found it generally enjoyable in the early stages when you could solo things. Once I got to a high enough level that I had to start teaming up with others, I didn't enjoy it as much. I just don't see the point of repeatedly running the same instanced dungeon over and over and over and over again but that seems to be the thing most players enjoy.
Played some Warlock with new DLC tonight.
Want to do some solo Fire on the Lake this weekend to wrap up my review of it.
Will be trying out Democracy 3 at least, possibly HOI III also. Maybe even Secret of Monkey Island. Sometimes I go through my Steam list and see games and think "Huh, I bought that?"
Once Elite: Dangerous gets done updating I'll be playing some of that.
@ JP: You might want to try downloading and playing a mod for Amnesia if you are looking for something scary. There are quite a few good looking ones out there if you do a Google search.
Toonces, not looking for something scary so much as atmospheric. The past few years Lords of Shadow was one of my go-to games, but I recently picked up and completed LoS2, and am not much in the mood to go back to LoS1 so soon. (Partially due to a slightly sour taste on how shallowly the game and maybe the whole franchise ended compared to LoS1, and partially due to some very ill-advised gameplay design choices.)
Oh, good, as of this moment, about 6 hours and 15 minutes after I started, my LOTRO download is complete! I shall hope to say wooot...
SDR,
I suspect you were looking at crews who were grinding hard to open up the main expansions for free, instead of paying $40ish for the first three (or four) in a group and/or another $40ish for the most recent one.
(Worth noting, there seems to be some confusion over how many expansions have actually been released to Steam, with the next-most-recent one apparently missing! -- neither offered separately nor in the group of the first three expansions. Possibly this is because enough TP is normally earned to open up that area for free, so Turbine just doesn't bother selling it on Steam, but I can't tell yet.)
I can't say I'm looking forward overly much to MMOing the game either, per se. But the in-game society apparently requires a significant amount of non-combat exploration and crafting for the economy, and that's something quite different from the normal super-action game. (Though of course there's a lot of that, too.) The epic quest material has been generally praised for its major expansions to the LotR lore as well, and the playable area seems to dwarf (pun intended) any other1st or 3rd person game on the market right now. (Or possibly ever by now.)
LOTRO was my most-played MMO over the years for the amount of time put into it. Very likely due to being in a nice little mellow guild that was good enough to regularly complete the boss dungeons required to advance at the end of Moria. I did enjoy some of those smaller ones as they required some serious strategy and teamwork but at a six person level so you still didn't need a huge group for the vast majority.
As with all MMO's, everyone eventually got sick of playing it after a few years and left. :buck2: My biggest gripe about it was some of the ridiculously long "FedEx Quests" that had you repeatedly walking/riding back & forth. The quest series to get your first horse was a perfect example. ::) I'd be frothing about halfway through it because I felt whomever created that quest series was intentionally wasting my time. Luckily they only occasionally happened and you could skip some of the others.
Also.. when the Moria expansion came out, it became pretty awesome. Not only was Moria pretty cool but being able to customize and "level" your legendary weapons was something I'd never seen done in an MMO before. It was a bit of a grind to get the level-ups for them but I still enjoyed it. Quit some time after the next expansion came out (Mirkwood IIRC) so I've not seen the Rohan stuff or anything since. Maybe I should at least check it out sometime. If nothing else, there is instant end-game PvP available via your Orc/Warg characters in the PvP zone that could be fun too when you get sick of playing the Freeples or don't want to level them to the cap to go PvP'ing.
Will be playing Sword of the Stars II Enhanced Edition (from the Paradox sales) and also Ports of Call Deluxe 2008 edition which I got from Amazon for an incredible 0.05 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ports-Call-Deluxe-PC-CD/dp/B002WYVAJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412428418&sr=8-2&keywords=ports+of+call) ! I have realised I 've a liking for port trading games, after playing Transocean recently.
I like how other games (e.g. Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption) will make such great environments out of a map that's maybe four miles long to scale (which is literally less distance than between my house and the next town over which is the county seat); and LOTRO casually mentions that its new book expansion (not a major one but large enough to have main-story chapter quests) has been placed 100 miles north of the starting zone... :))
Closed out the weekend playing EU4.
Quote from: Toonces on October 03, 2014, 10:00:35 PM
Once Elite: Dangerous gets done updating I'll be playing some of that.
you cant play unless you have this (sorry but your mind is about to explode):
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftechnabob.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fdeep_space_watch_3.jpg&hash=f2dacce4923dfb37d8579ace30b0ef674188084d)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ablogtowatch.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FVianney-Halter-Deep-Space-Tourbillon-watch.jpg&hash=0bac984efbf6cea9c286d5b8bf6c5892ceaf64b0)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftechnabob.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fvianney-halter-deep-space-tourbillon-watch.jpg&hash=bf01b03d775fcb3c4356d6e4ea95eeb24de7ec64)
Quote from: Bison on October 05, 2014, 09:04:13 PM
Closed out the weekend playing EU4.
No you didn't ;)
all joking aside, thats a pretty cool watch!
^ must...have....THAT WATCH!!!11!! :buck2:
Im not a fan of the band but that can be replaced.
I also didnt even bother looking at how much it cost.
Id probably have to have Mirth and Gus working triple shifts to afford it.
Watch? I thought it was a Space Station. Cool either way.
I finished my second game of Warlock against the AI on normal. Also jumped into Endless Space but had to lower the difficulty to Easy since the AI was steam rolling me on normal, probably because I don't yet understand the game mechanics.
And the first shot looks freakishly like a starport entry, I thought it was an elite watch at first
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2014, 10:54:45 PM
Watch? I thought it was a Space Station. Cool either way.
Haha..."that's no watch, it's a space station!"
Toonces must have said that exact line at least once.
Age of Wonders III has sunk ts claws in to me. I really am loving it (note I have never played the original games).
Anyone have that 'Golden Showers' AoW III DLC?
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 08:06:13 AM
Toonces must have said that exact line at least once.
Age of Wonders III has sunk ts claws in to me. I really am loving it (note I have never played the original games).
Anyone have that 'Golden Showers' AoW III DLC?
Yes.
I think it only has some extra content. Halflings (bleh) as a new playable race. I got it for the new neutral/wandering monsters, primarily. Looking forward to the next one that will have the Undead class and such.
Isn't there some kind of 'new world' campaign in that DLC?
Any eta on that undead DLC?
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
Isn't there some kind of 'new world' campaign in that DLC?
Any eta on that undead DLC?
Not yet... but waiting on it. Some o the new fixes and features I feel have advanced the game and I have the new DLC. The game is turning out nicely from where it was. I am currently in mid game with the new DLC. Also, I would rank AOW3 and FE:LH way ahead of everything else.... I played one complete game of Endless Legend and the game overall is still too shallow for replay.... still needs a lot of content added to it.
Also, I played mainly the Painting the Walls game this weekend thanks to my wife.... so not much done.
PE
I had a quiet day Sat. and so managed to pull-out a win in Decisive Campaigns WtP: Case Yellow. 10 Days early actually, something I never thought possible for me when I started. The AI is very good and made me pay dearly for drooping the 22nd Air Landing Div. close to I thought an empty Brussels. It wasn't and my panzers got there just in time to save the last regt. of the 22nd from total destruction. Now it's on to Sea Lion though I wish there was a second French campaign to play because I never got to capture Paris. Great game.
I am just in the elven tutorial (appropriately enough) and I love how deep and well written AoW III is. I dropped Endless Legend for AoW III as it is indeed much more fleshed out. I bet I could get 100s of hours squeezed out of AoW III.
Have not played Fallen Enchantress yet.
This past weekend somehow got away from me (I had to work Fri, Sat, and Sun night, which obviously didn't help), so very little gaming was accomplished. I managed a little
Armada 2526 Supernova and a teeny, tiny bit of
Neverwinter Nights, but that was honestly it.
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 08:06:13 AM
Age of Wonders III has sunk ts claws in to me. I really am loving it (note I have never played the original games).
Anyone have that 'Golden Showers' AoW III DLC?
A new site called "Explorminate" (focusing on 4x and similar strategy games) just put up a review (http://www.explorminate.com/#!Age-of-Wonders-3-Golden-Realms-Review/c15kj/8A7348A9-54A6-49A2-8C85-4368BADC897F) of
Golden Realms a few days ago. Their take was pretty positive FWIW.
Thanks Martok!
Quote from: Martok on October 06, 2014, 02:21:54 PM
A new site called "Explorminate" (focusing on 4x and similar strategy games) just put up a review (http://www.explorminate.com/#!Age-of-Wonders-3-Golden-Realms-Review/c15kj/8A7348A9-54A6-49A2-8C85-4368BADC897F) of Golden Realms a few days ago. Their take was pretty positive FWIW.
Quote from: ArticleFor others, those who think Age of Wonders 3 is not "4X enough," the Golden Realms DLC is unlikely to change any minds since it does not do anything to move the game further towards the end of the 4X spectrum occupied by the Civilization series.
LOL Wut?!
Who thinks that the Civilization series is the "end of the 4X spectrum"? Preposterous. Civ isn't that deep. I've been enjoying AOW3 because the combat and RPG facets make warfare so much more interesting. Hell.. I just Gus'd up a village of Giants so now I'm recruiting these beasts to pound my enemies into sand, take all their phat shiny lootz and equip them on my heroes (who now have many spells to blast some snot out). Watch their women lament, etc etc. I find it much more interesting than Civ's dull generic military units & heroes with preset leveling & abilities and little real customization. ???
^Go on with your bad self!
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 07:50:17 PM
^Go on with your bad self!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview1%2F1618355%2Ftwo-snaps-up-o.gif&hash=53a46562cd7aa33b3c9151f2a2891f3332bb40b3)
In Z formation as well!
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 07:50:17 PM
^Go on with your bad self!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview1%2F1618355%2Ftwo-snaps-up-o.gif&hash=53a46562cd7aa33b3c9151f2a2891f3332bb40b3)
Two snaps up!
Last night I completed the AoWIII tutorial...well, the first act anyway. I'm an hour into the second act. Anyone remember how many acts there are? Still loving it and going to get the Golden dlc too.
Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2014, 07:34:34 AM
Last night I completed the AoWIII tutorial...well, the first act anyway. I'm an hour into the second act. Anyone remember how many acts there are? Still loving it and going to get the Golden dlc too.
pffft tutorial
Have you gone through it? It's very good. Scripted but very useful in learning the game. Great tutorial.
Jerkface.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2014, 10:42:26 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 07:50:17 PM
^Go on with your bad self!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview1%2F1618355%2Ftwo-snaps-up-o.gif&hash=53a46562cd7aa33b3c9151f2a2891f3332bb40b3)
Two snaps up!
Twan....don't get mad...
Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2014, 07:51:10 AM
Have you gone through it? It's very good. Scripted but very useful in learning the game. Great tutorial.
Jerkface.
Straight to the main game like a real man
Which faction?
There is only one for you my son
Dwarves
You're playing the fairies aren't you...don't lie.
The dwarves have dreadnaughts and such, don't they? Kewlness.
They do indeed.... start underground and batter the goblins down there
Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2014, 07:51:10 AM
Have you gone through it? It's very good. Scripted but very useful in learning the game. Great tutorial.
True fact: the first two whole games
are nothing but tutorial.
Seriously. Longest tutorials ever. The map generator didn't come until AoW2.5 (Shadow Magic).
I own AoW II but never got around to starting it.
Geek I will probably take the dwarves as my first actual campaign. Do they have a premade campaign of their own or are they only playable in sandbox mode?
Got to be honest and say I didn't look Gus, reviewers said dive straight in to sandbox
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 07, 2014, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2014, 07:51:10 AM
Have you gone through it? It's very good. Scripted but very useful in learning the game. Great tutorial.
Jerkface.
Straight to the main game like a real man
Same.
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 07, 2014, 11:27:16 AM
There is only one for you my son
Dwarves
Same.
Real men go straight to playing Dwarves in the sandbox. We don't need no stinking Tutorial!
brothers in pick axes
I'll admit, I only played part of AoW3's tutorial before diving into sandbox play. I've always been more of a free-form guy when it comes to strategy games.
Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2014, 12:45:21 PM
Geek I will probably take the dwarves as my first actual campaign. Do they have a premade campaign of their own or are they only playable in sandbox mode?
Dwarves are sandbox only. The story campaign focuses on the elves and humans.
They're totally up your alley, though. The dwarves come closest to being the techno/steampunk faction in AoW3. 8)
^Thanks Martok...Dwarves it shall be :)
So the only scripted campaign is the tutorial itself in AoWIII?