Well the fairs come to town - is right outside the restaurant and theres a ride playing this at 1000 decibels next door - so you gits can have some too!!
When i go home deaf i shall be playing ARMA 3 KOTH imagining all my enemies are fairground goers
There will be WitP AE PBEM with KyzBP, and HoN with Cyrano who just missed my tank and got a 'sploded Sherman in return
Im back in Elite so i could just vanish in that all weekend
And my Blood Bowl 2 money is still unspent, it wont be on Grand Ages, i see XCOM 2 on the horizon, but the urge to play orcs and pummel elves is very strong
Some World of Warships still, but probably more tabletop gaming & reading than anything.
If I don't feel like multi-player, maybe continue my Pillars of Eternity or Darkest Dungeon campaigns while waiting on the new Wastelend 2 edition to get patched.
I've been going on a el cheapo game sale purchase run lately...bought Alpha Protocol, Not a Hero, Betrayer, GameCorp DX, Walking Dead 400 Days, Walking Dead Season 2, several Choice of Games titles, and a few others over the last couple of weeks with full intent to play some of them eventually. I did get in some Alpha Protocol last night...great game, sort of like Mass Effect meets modern spying, but with plenty of shooting if you want to go that route (though it makes the game bloody difficult if you start blasting).
The wife is going out of town today through Sunday, but I have shows to do tonight and tomorrow night, so it's not like I can go crazy or anything...still, a weekend free of nagging? O0
If and i really mean IF i can sit on my desktop (stepparents, b'days, visits etc), i will focus on Grand Ages Medieval.
Otherwise it's going to be some Imperium Galactica II on my tablet....about to finish my human compaign.
Sunday we head for a week of R&R in Cancun, but until then it will be Beyond Earth:Rising Tide and Wasteland 2:Directors Cut.
Some family things to take care of this weekend but I'd like to get some tabletop gaming done (Line of Battle series) and paint some mini's. I have one pbem ASL game going and am still looking to find a pbem opponent for Blood Bowl as me and my brother have about beat each other up in every way with every team available.
I think a may choose to play some more CMANO Northern Fury this weekend.
Hoping for some Shadow of Mordor and maybe set up a new campaign in AoWIII. Also looking at buying Dying Light if I can find it on sale.
Its lonely out here in space with my own program to play, but I love it and will boldly go where nobody else goes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6d7uqttq2xg7wo/HexWarrior608G.zip?dl=0
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 16, 2015, 06:46:16 AM
I think a may choose to play some more CMANO Northern Fury this weekend.
Maybe some CMANO. Definitely some DCS and ARMAIII and probably some Wing Leader.
Quote from: MengJiao on October 16, 2015, 08:19:09 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 16, 2015, 06:46:16 AM
I think a may choose to play some more CMANO Northern Fury this weekend.
Maybe some CMANO. Definitely some DCS and ARMAIII and probably some Wing Leader.
Probably lots of
World of Warships.. maybe a lil
JTCS..
I'm flying down to Cancun and pick-up some extra cash butlering for tgb (I can be VERY discreet). Afterward it's back to DC Case Blue where I think I'm doing better-- 105,000 casualties on the Red Army vs 12,500 on mine. For something lighter, CMBN's "A Bridge Too Close" campaign.
Heroes and Generals
Wargame Red Dragon
Wargame Air Land Battle
random other stuff
'La Bataille de France, 1940' is what I will be playing.
Quote from: bob48 on October 16, 2015, 11:23:34 AM
'La Bataille de France, 1940' is what I will be playing.
Nice!
Quote from: Anguille on October 16, 2015, 06:00:09 AM
If and i really mean IF i can sit on my desktop (stepparents, b'days, visits etc), i will focus on Grand Ages Medieval.
Just noticed there's a new patch with nice improvements.... O0
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 16, 2015, 09:51:19 AM
I'm flying down to Cancun and pick-up some extra cash butlering for tgb (I can be VERY discreet).
Try to remember to bring your thong this time, will you please?
PBEM Waterloo with Doug...it's officially on, although well West of Waterloo.
CSME with Doug...learning, again, that modern weapons really puzzle me...
Twilight Struggle (BETA) with the UeberCat...still such a great game...
Like the UCG said, he fired a round straight through the hull of my tank...in fairness, my tank did fire first...
ATZ:R AAR...how long will my family SURVIVE...tune in to see...be aware that we did bring guns...and my son is given to bringing along a tank of gas that he can shoot at and make explode...
That was my thong. What did you think it was?
The hammock.
Right! Today is the day! I have two bottles of gin, a small lake of tonic water, I've already done the basic tutorials...now I will finally learn to play Europa Universalis 4! Well, play through the introductory campaign, anyway. I'm determined to do it!
If any of you catch me playing anything else this weekend, please shout at me!
No, I'm laying in that. Could've been my Slip & Slide by mistake I guess.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 02:55:12 PM
Right! Today is the day! I have two bottles of gin, a small lake of tonic water, I've already done the basic tutorials...now I will finally learn to play Europa Universalis 4! Well, play through the introductory campaign, anyway. I'm determined to do it!
If any of you catch me playing anything else this weekend, please shout at me!
Huw - I'm over 100 hours in and still have no clue what I'm doing so don't feel bad! ;D
Quote from: jamus34 on October 16, 2015, 03:25:44 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 02:55:12 PM
Right! Today is the day! I have two bottles of gin, a small lake of tonic water, I've already done the basic tutorials...now I will finally learn to play Europa Universalis 4! Well, play through the introductory campaign, anyway. I'm determined to do it!
If any of you catch me playing anything else this weekend, please shout at me!
Huw - I'm over 100 hours in and still have no clue what I'm doing so don't feel bad! ;D
LOL! Somehow that doesn't make me feel any better! ;) I've tried countless times to get into CK2 and never managed it so I'm not holding my breath, but I'm going to make a damned good go of EU4. I love the
idea of it, at least.
Quote from: gameleaper on October 16, 2015, 07:57:58 AM
Its lonely out here in space with my own program to play, but I love it and will boldly go where nobody else goes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6d7uqttq2xg7wo/HexWarrior608G.zip?dl=0
That's pretty hardcore, man. O0
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 02:55:12 PM
Right! Today is the day! I have two bottles of gin, a small lake of tonic water, I've already done the basic tutorials...now I will finally learn to play Europa Universalis 4! Well, play through the introductory campaign, anyway. I'm determined to do it!
If any of you catch me playing anything else this weekend, please shout at me!
Hot damn, that sounds like a good time! I asked my wife to pick up some Bushmills for me while she was out but I was too late so I'll have to stick with House of Stuart again tonight.
Anyway, for gaming,
I'm all-in on Madden 08. Not sure what else yet...
Quote from: Toonces on October 16, 2015, 04:05:33 PM
I asked my wife to pick up some Bushmills for me while she was out but I was too late so I'll have to stick with House of Stuart again tonight.
Although the Scots don't know how to spell Whiskey they do still make some quite good ones so you should be OK :)
Anyway back to the subject, I found EU4 easier to get into than CK2 but I'm probably going to have to start to re-learn EU4 again after I've now added on a lot of the more recent DLC, then again it might not make that much of a difference as I'm not that good at it anyway.
With both EU4 and CK2 (and Vic2) it's not so much about the winning but playing the game and seeing where it takes you that has always been the reason of the games for me, so as long as you lose in style everything is good.
I haven't really even tried EUIV yet, although I've owned it for quite a while now.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 03:34:52 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on October 16, 2015, 03:25:44 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 02:55:12 PM
Right! Today is the day! I have two bottles of gin, a small lake of tonic water, I've already done the basic tutorials...now I will finally learn to play Europa Universalis 4! Well, play through the introductory campaign, anyway. I'm determined to do it!
If any of you catch me playing anything else this weekend, please shout at me!
Huw - I'm over 100 hours in and still have no clue what I'm doing so don't feel bad! ;D
LOL! Somehow that doesn't make me feel any better! ;) I've tried countless times to get into CK2 and never managed it so I'm not holding my breath, but I'm going to make a damned good go of EU4. I love the idea of it, at least.
Numerous times I've tried to wrap my head around EU4 and CK2 and always end up defeated and move on to something else. From their obvious success/popularity as games I have to conclude it's me, not the game that has the issue. Good luck Huw...!
Thanks guys! So far, so good. I've played two thirds of the Spanish introductory campaign and I'm taking it all in. It is fiendishly complex though; seems like every little click of the mouse has dozens of knock-on effects. So many statistics within statistics. If I can get the hang of this I'm going to be in gaming nirvana. :)
For me its going to be some mix of Command, World of Warships, Elite, Cities Skyline and War in the West.
^And you should offer Huw some of your vast EUIV knowledge, too ;)
Quote from: MetalDog on October 16, 2015, 06:34:08 PM
^And you should offer Huw some of your vast EUIV knowledge, too ;)
My vast EUIV knowledge? I've only played it a measly 247 hours.
I did talk to Huw a little before he decided to go to sleep. Seriously who sleeps on a Friday night? :o
I should take Huw's Operation EUIV as inspiration to finally learn CKII...
I'll continue with CSME, i'm losing about as much as i'm winning. I seem to be an inept commander of modern weapons platforms.
CK2 is fantastic, Gus, even if you don't understand it.
Man alive but did I have some fantastic football action tonight. So it turns out that I didn't install the FootballFreaks XV mod properly last week. I kept getting all these weird crashes so I decided to reinstall the whole smack and now that it's installed properly I see what I was missing. I finally have my playbooks working properly as well as my controllers. So I restarted my franchise and I'm played two preseason games as the Cowboys. I pretty much spanked the Chargers in game 1 without too much trouble. Game 2 was against the Ravens. I got off to a pretty early lead but then their coach realized that I am totally weak man on man in defense. That's pure user-error because I can't play man coverage for shit. So he it one of his receivers long for a TD and then on the last play of the half hit a second long pass for a TD which totally bummed me out.
Rolling into the second half we both played conservatively and had three consecutive 3 and outs. It was fairly tense. But then I hit Witten for about a 60 yarder and started simply dissecting the Raven's defense. Weedon kind of sucks, but he can hit a pass if the receiver is wide open. For about 10 game minutes it was pretty awesome, until I got the game into a two-score situation going into 2 minutes.
Good times, Cowboys go into Game 3 2-0-0.
How can I fall in love with CKII if I don't know wtf I'm doing?
Quote from: W8taminute on October 16, 2015, 10:22:01 AM
Heroes and Generals
I've been thinking about giving this a try. Is it more run and gun, something like Battlefield, or more like Red Orchestra? Or is it Arma level complex?
For me, I'll be continuing with a friend's D&D campaign with a few other buddies tomorrow night. I just picked up Warhammer : End Times - Vermintide and would like to try out the Beta this weekend. Oh, and I bought MGS V. ;D
Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 09:03:17 PM
How can I fall in love with CKII if I don't know wtf I'm doing?
Just think of it as making love to a woman Gus. Push some buttons and pray you hit the right ones.
Quote from: Bison on October 16, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 09:03:17 PM
How can I fall in love with CKII if I don't know wtf I'm doing?
Just think of it as making love to a woman Gus. Push some buttons and pray you hit the right ones.
Then sleep with a scullery maid, name her bastard son your new heir and lock the original woman up in the tower because she's plotting to kill the product of your affair.
In all serious, Gus, CK2 kind of runs itself. That's not to say it doesn't require you to do anything, but if you just sit back and watch it's hard to get into too much trouble for about the first 30 years or so. Meanwhile you enjoy the music, enjoy the weird scenarios the game will throw at you, and maybe click a few things just to see what happens. Before you know it, you'll start kind of figuring things out.
If you want to really crush at it you'll have to spend some time figuring out how to do real stuff, but meanwhile, it's a good scotch-sipping type game where you can just sit back and watch things unfold without too much stress.
Verdun.
Abit of Heroes of Normandie. Funny out of the board game conversions over at Matrix it's Heroes I like the best, even though it doesn't take itself seriously.
Wings Over Flanders Fields
Armoured Commander
Some testing and map symbol creation.
Maybe some Combat Mission.
Oh and a dabble at Wasteland 2 Directors..shame I have to have DX11 off though.
WOFF...excellent choice. I just re-bought the whole smack due to an HD failure...it's that good.
Just finished the advanced tutorial this morning. Still got plenty of gin left. Tonight I shall start my first proper campaign!
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 17, 2015, 04:19:32 AM
Just finished the advanced tutorial this morning. Still got plenty of gin left. Tonight I shall start my first proper campaign!
Who you choosing?
Kushan recommended France or Spain for a beginner, so I'm going with Spain as I'm already familiar with the territory from playing the tutorials.
Plus France smells.
Battle Brothers is fun. Anyone here play it?
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 17, 2015, 06:50:08 AM
Kushan recommended France or Spain for a beginner, so I'm going with Spain as I'm already familiar with the territory from playing the tutorials.
Plus France smells.
good luck, amigo - you set some goals?
Cheers bud. Nah no goals, since this is my first time - I'll be happy just to have any clue at all of what I'm doing! I'll see if I can conquer a nation or two, I expect. :)
portugal looks good - but dont upset the english
actually now youve found a course of action - watch a lets play of someone with spain for some heeents and teeeps
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 16, 2015, 09:03:54 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 16, 2015, 10:22:01 AM
Heroes and Generals
I've been thinking about giving this a try. Is it more run and gun, something like Battlefield, or more like Red Orchestra? Or is it Arma level complex?
Run & gun.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 17, 2015, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 16, 2015, 09:03:54 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 16, 2015, 10:22:01 AM
Heroes and Generals
I've been thinking about giving this a try. Is it more run and gun, something like Battlefield, or more like Red Orchestra? Or is it Arma level complex?
Run & gun.
No it's not. It's more like Arma but a more simplified version of Arma. In Heroes and Generals if you run and gun you're going to die real quick. H&G is more about using terrain to your advantage when you approach the enemy. The first person to get spotted is the first person to die. Teamwork is also key in H&G. Lone wolf rambo tactics will get you killed. Covering terrain with your team in leaps and bounds with plenty of overwatch will win the day.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 17, 2015, 06:50:08 AM
Kushan recommended France or Spain for a beginner, so I'm going with Spain as I'm already familiar with the territory from playing the tutorials.
Plus France smells.
Make friends with Portugal and try to vassalize Navarra before France or Aragon. Grenada and Aragon will be your natural enemies at the start. Morocco may look appetizing as well, but the +50% coring cost (and I think they're lands still count as overseas, but that may have hanged) doesn't really make them worth going for early on.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 17, 2015, 06:50:08 AM
Kushan recommended France or Spain for a beginner, so I'm going with Spain as I'm already familiar with the territory from playing the tutorials.
Plus France smells.
I had much success playing Denmark in my first game of EU4.
Has even more of the full treatment since you can not only colonize North America pretty early, with some effort, you also start with Norway and Sweden nominally under your purview. So after forcing your claim on them early, you can become the Nordic Empire fairly quickly, just before settling as much of NA as the Brits - who end up being your only real rival for awhile and they're often busy fighting with France.
Continuing my Nationals dynasty with MLB 2K12. Sitting at 14-12 in third place two games behind the Braves.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Playing through all of the tutorials again for Victoria 2. Currently reading Massie's "Dreadnought" and it gave me an inch to play a strategic Victorian era game.
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 17, 2015, 12:55:52 PM
Currently reading Massie's "Dreadnought" and it gave me an inch to play a strategic Victorian era game.
No Rule The Waves, Steam & Iron, or Jutland? ^-^
Also, watch out. Give it an inch and it may take a mile. :P
Thanks for the tips, chaps - much appreciated! Nef, roger that...I'll go Denmark on my second campaign. O0
Can I play as a Rumanian count in CKII? Better yet...Wallachian?
With the appropriate DLC, the answer is pretty limitless.
Dear God that sounds promising.
You don't need any DLC to play as Dracula.
^Get out - really? Is this true?
Yes, but it really sucks.
The characters are historically accurate. At least the rulers and nobility. So selec Walachia in the proper time period and you will find Vlad. You might find it a tad boring to play as a count however. You only have control over one province so there isn't much to do IMHO
Quote from: Kushan on October 17, 2015, 09:01:22 PM
You don't need any DLC to play as Dracula.
Quote from: Gusington on October 17, 2015, 09:14:32 PM
^Get out - really? Is this true?
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2015, 09:51:21 PM
Yes, but it really sucks.
Ooooh!
Kushan with the setup. Sir Slash with the takedown.
:2funny:
Quote from: Gusington on October 17, 2015, 09:14:32 PM
^Get out - really? Is this true?
Wtf have you been for the last few years
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2015, 09:51:21 PM
Yes, but it really sucks.
But you can really get your teeth into it.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2015, 03:07:01 AM
Ooooh!
Kushan with the setup. Sir Slash with the takedown.
:2funny:
:2funny:
Quote from: mikeck on October 17, 2015, 09:51:52 PM
The characters are historically accurate. At least the rulers and nobility. So selec Walachia in the proper time period and you will find Vlad. You might find it a tad boring to play as a count however. You only have control over one province so there isn't much to do IMHO
I wouldn't recommend anyone new play as count outside of Ireland. I haven't played in the east but is expansion not possible? Or do succession laws or larger powers in the area prevent it? My recent count Hapsburg start has been on of the most fun games I've had in CK2.
Gus would probably find impaling his way across eastern Europe to be fun.
Things seem to be going well in my Spanish (well, Castillian) campaign so far! I took the mission to conquer the Iberian Peninsula, so the first order of the day is to take three provinces on the south of the land, belonging to Grenada I think. I started with a truce with them for three years so couldn't do much about it, other than station a load of troops innocently along our border.
However! In the meantime I had a good relationship with Portugal which I further cemented by joining them in an alliance, capped off with a royal wedding. Well, the buggers only went and declared on Morocco, didn't they? So I was forced to honour my alliance and also declare on Morocco and their ally Mzab. So now one of my armies is getting decent experience rampaging through Moroccan lands (just won their first siege) while my navies are protecting trade around Seville and blowing Moroccan shipping out of the water. This is fun!!!
Some questions, if there are any kind souls who feel like answering:
1. I'm currently occupying a Moroccan province. What can I do with this? Presumably I'm not the alliance leader so can't sue for peace, due to this being Portugal's war, so I doubt I can do anything to claim the province permanently, can I? Is this what claiming cores is all about? Do I need to keep an army there for the duration of the war?
2. Am I understanding things correctly; you "buy" tech levels by spending monarch points? So when I have 600 administrative power, for example, I can open the tech panel and just buy the next level? And if so, what are some good tips for increasing the rate at which I accumulate monarch points?
3. Hopefully when I level up my tech I'll be able to start constructing buildings. Any tips on what to go for first? I never have more than 200 ducats and I'm always gaining or losing slightly each month; should I go for buildings that increase revenues? I only have two merchants and they're both steering trade to Seville, which I control.
4. How do I get more merchants, and is there any benefit to having a merchant in my home trade node?
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 10:15:30 AM
1. I'm currently occupying a Moroccan province. What can I do with this? Presumably I'm not the alliance leader so can't sue for peace, due to this being Portugal's war, so I doubt I can do anything to claim the province permanently, can I? Is this what claiming cores is all about? Do I need to keep an army there for the duration of the war?
2. Am I understanding things correctly; you "buy" tech levels by spending monarch points? So when I have 600 administrative power, for example, I can open the tech panel and just buy the next level? And if so, what are some good tips for increasing the rate at which I accumulate monarch points?
3. Hopefully when I level up my tech I'll be able to start constructing buildings. Any tips on what to go for first? I never have more than 200 ducats and I'm always gaining or losing slightly each month; should I go for buildings that increase revenues? I only have two merchants and they're both steering trade to Seville, which I control.
4. How do I get more merchants, and is there any benefit to having a merchant in my home trade node?
1. Unless you are a member of a coalition during a coalition war you can sue for peace even if you are not the war leader. You'll take a reputation hit with the war leader, where if you stick with the war all the way through you'll get a fought to the end reputation bonus. If you have a claim or a core on a province that you hold the AI will give it to you unless they have a claim/core as well. If you don't want a province you have claim/core on at the end of a war then you need to go to the province screen and where it says occupied, click on it and transfer the occupation to the war leader. Couple of reasons you might not want a province that you have a claim on. Over extension or other uses for Admin monarch points being two that I can think of off hand. I put myself into a bind in my Austria AAR game by forgetting to transfer provinces and ending up with some provinces I didn't have points off hand to core or I wanted to use for tech.
2. Not a lot you can do. Getting better advisers in one. The bonus for each level of adviser is the same but the amount of monarch points goes up between 1-3. Just be aware level 2-3 advisers can really pinch your economy early on. The other thing you can do is "focus" which will give you either a +2 to that category and a cost of -1 to the other two. You do this by going to your adviser menu and clicking on the category you want to focus on. You can also choose not to focus. Also there is a cooldown on changing your focus. You will also occasionally get events that will add/remove monarch points. Your monarchs are a random roll, nothing you do effects how many monarch points they get.
3. Military is important early on as is administration for your first national idea and temples (although I believe temples got nerfed in one of the newer patches), but going for that first idea is a must. Unless your playing a trade focus nation (Venice) then diplomatic is less important early on. If your going to go the colonization route then I would definitely skip on upgrading diplomatic tech early on since you will need those points for the exploration/colonization national idea. If your going to cap on points, with no idea to spend them on, then always upgrade you tech.
4. You can get more merchants via national ideas. Its a toss up as to one is useful in your home node early on or not. You always collect trade in your home node whether a merchant is present or not. I generally keep mine in the home node early on for a lack of anywhere else to put him/ but as soon as I have some decent power in another node, either through colonization or conquest I move him. As Castile your trade power is about evenly split between two trade nodes at the start, so I would leave both my merchants in the their starting nodes and split any light ships between them.
I've been playing the new OP Sea Lion campaign for Panzer Corps on iPad. Enjoyable, although sometimes I wonder who is invading whom in some scenarios... Also, very tempted to pick up the early access game, Angels Fall First.
Excellent tips Kushan, thank you very much! I guess I'll cede that Moroccan province to Portugal then, since I'm pretty sure I don't have a claim on it. I'll want to save any overexpansion concerns for when I attack Grenada.
Yeah, I noticed that the higher level advisers would be ruinous to begin with so I went for the lowest level one for each category. When I figure out how to gain loads of cash I'll see about upgrading them, as even this early I can see how important monarch points are.
One more question for now. Portugal's cassus belli for going to war with Morocco was simply "conquest". That sounds like something you could claim any time! How did they get it?
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
One more question for now. Portugal's cassus belli for going to war with Morocco was simply "conquest". That sounds like something you could claim any time! How did they get it?
Conquest is the, we have a claim on a province so we are going to take it CB. If it was a province they had a core on the CB would probably be something like reconquest/liberation. Some of the national ideas will give you a CBs like any religion that's not your own, or against heathens, etc.
Got it. Thanks again, buddy. I'm going to have to read through your Austria AAR soon!
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 12:00:57 PM
Got it. Thanks again, buddy. I'm going to have to read through your Austria AAR soon!
Its really a shame that the last round of DLC broke save games. I've played Austria 5-6+ times and that one was by far the best. I probably could have reverted my version of EUIV but it also made significant changes to the HRE that I wanted to be able to play with.
Quote from: Kushan on October 18, 2015, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 12:00:57 PM
Got it. Thanks again, buddy. I'm going to have to read through your Austria AAR soon!
Its really a shame that the last round of DLC broke save games. I've played Austria 5-6+ times and that one was by far the best. I probably could have reverted my version of EUIV but it also made significant changes to the HRE.
I have a few different titles in which I'm regularly unable to continue my current progress after patches.
It's disappointing enough to make me shelve them when it happens. Some of them offer the capability of reverting back to the previous version to continue but I expect to have other problems when doing so, and if another patch comes along again it may be a lost cause anyway.
Thanks guys. Hoping to fire up a CKII Count Tepes campaign in the next few days :)
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 12:00:57 PM
Got it. Thanks again, buddy. I'm going to have to read through your Austria AAR soon!
as someone who played Morroco, Portugal can be a real PITA about lands there - i think they have claims on most of the northern coast
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 18, 2015, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2015, 12:00:57 PM
Got it. Thanks again, buddy. I'm going to have to read through your Austria AAR soon!
as someone who played Morroco, Portugal can be a real PITA about lands there - i think they have claims on most of the northern coast
and Persistent. There's been more then a few times when I've played Castile and they go after Morocco where I will accept their call and do nothing.
yup, put paid to my game as Morocco - they come again and again and again and again and again - with the help of England and Spain too, i would normally cede the land, go elsewhere and get big enough to kick Portugals ass but their relentless waves of attacks werent making the game that enjoyable
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
One of the problems with OOTP is letting the AI manage where the minor league talent goes. It tends to just drop most of the newcomers into one of their numerous minor league teams and lets that one build up too many players (who are then not getting enough play time) while all the others are starving for new blood.
The AI has done that ever since I started playing OOTP. I guess it's not been a priority for them to improve the Minors roster management for the AI. *shrug*
People probably get sick of it and do the shuffling themselves, when running a Major League team, but I don't think there's hope for you if you are playing a Minors team since the AI will be running the player acquisition and placement for the whole organization you're in. :(
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
No Royals?
Quote from: MetalDog on October 18, 2015, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
No Royals?
I played a Royals GM game last time for about 20 seasons. This time I want to see how high up the chain I can go as a manager.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2015, 04:15:58 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
One of the problems with OOTP is letting the AI manage where the minor league talent goes. It tends to just drop most of the newcomers into one of their numerous minor league teams and lets that one build up too many players (who are then not getting enough play time) while all the others are starving for new blood.
The AI has done that ever since I started playing OOTP. I guess it's not been a priority for them to improve the Minors roster management for the AI. *shrug*
People probably get sick of it and do the shuffling themselves, when running a Major League team, but I don't think there's hope for you if you are playing a Minors team since the AI will be running the player acquisition and placement for the whole organization you're in. :(
Yeah I'm managing a rookie league, so I expect I'll see some new talent once they do the international and regular drafts.
bought a few cheap upgrades for my asp in elite, then took on as many lucrative transport missions as possible - went from 100k back to 1.1 million in an hour - i dont know whether its the game or the ship but i attracted a lot more interdictions this time, armed for the first time in ages i decided to attempt escape but if i failed i was ready - won 3 interdiction battles, as it turns out these were against system police trying to scan the illegal goods in the cargo hold, and lost one - an AI sidewinder - melted in seconds with the gimballed beam lasers - now back at what i consider to be my home port - Ehecatl, hive of scum and villainy, short hop to a high tech system to buy upgrades, short hop to a battle zone needing weapons to be shipped in, and a short hop to a station paying a fortune in slaves - my main cargo
back to feeling like this game could have me for years
Portugal won their war against Morocco and gained about six of their provinces - nasty! As soon as my armies were back home and back to full manpower I checked war exhaustion - which I was pleasantly surprised to find at 0% - and immediately declared war on Grenada, with the conquest of one of their provinces as my war goal. I called Portugal to the war, which wasn't really necessary but thought their ships might help blockade if nothing else. As it happens, while I concentrated my army in Grenada's capital Portugal swiftly conquered the other two provinces on either side.
Grenada now have no standing army and a garrison of around 1.5K men at their capital. The siege has just entered phase 7. Hopefully the province will be under my control within a year and I'll sue for peace, hopefully claiming all three provinces as tribute but at the very least the province that was my war goal. Sadly I had to end the session before the conclusion of the siege because it's bed time.
I'm having a lot of fun with this! Thanks again to Kushan for the tips and to Bison for making sure I play no other game this weekend! O0
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 18, 2015, 05:39:20 PM
bought a few cheap upgrades for my asp in elite, then took on as many lucrative transport missions as possible - went from 100k back to 1.1 million in an hour - i dont know whether its the game or the ship but i attracted a lot more interdictions this time, armed for the first time in ages i decided to attempt escape but if i failed i was ready - won 3 interdiction battles, as it turns out these were against system police trying to scan the illegal goods in the cargo hold, and lost one - an AI sidewinder - melted in seconds with the gimballed beam lasers - now back at what i consider to be my home port - Ehecatl, hive of scum and villainy, short hop to a high tech system to buy upgrades, short hop to a battle zone needing weapons to be shipped in, and a short hop to a station paying a fortune in slaves - my main cargo
back to feeling like this game could have me for years
Don't think its just you. Posted this in the Elite thread but last night I was being interdicted literally every 5-10 seconds, happened about 20 times on the same run. Managed to break one of them, lost all the others. Not sure how I was losing so many since most part I was still losing even when I was right on the exit vector. But I'd lose, then the interdicting ship wouldn't attack me. The one time I attacked it I got flagged as wanted. It fly around I would wait for my FSD to cool down and leave only to have it happen again. After the 20th time I just Alt-F4 out of the game.
Only been interdicted twice today so I don't have a good feel if the overall chance has been increased or not.
My experience since I started playing again the other night has been mixed. This morning I got sent on one of the go to this system and kill x amount of y missions. In my case to hunt bounty hunters. Spent a few hours hunting around the system in question, extraction sites, signal sources, etc. Didn't see any, but I did make about a 1 million in bounties from killing pirates in the resource extraction zones with the system security ships to back be up.
This afternoon I ran imperial slaves to the imperial capital for the gifts for the emperor community event. Get there with my hold full of slaves and didn't see a way to sign up for the event. Go check online and after some searching I find outs its already over with because the goals got met. Probably wasn't going to make a difference in my Cobra but still feels like I wasted my time but hey at least I can say I've been to the imperial capital now.
That all being said the game is still great. I need to start working on finding a lucrative trade route so I can upgrade from my Cobra.
Stymied by Dragon Age - Inquisition I fired up Shadow of Mordor again for the first time in months. After about an hour to relearn the mechanics I started grooving again...it really is a solid game. And you know what - it's pretty dark and scary too. Perfect for this time of year for when you don't know what to play but what to be kinda sorta frightened. I even killed off one of my revenge targets :)
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 04:24:58 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2015, 04:15:58 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Played a couple of games with my rookie league manager career game in OOTP. The Reds GM is killing me with not sending over some prospects to develop some infield talent.
One of the problems with OOTP is letting the AI manage where the minor league talent goes. It tends to just drop most of the newcomers into one of their numerous minor league teams and lets that one build up too many players (who are then not getting enough play time) while all the others are starving for new blood.
The AI has done that ever since I started playing OOTP. I guess it's not been a priority for them to improve the Minors roster management for the AI. *shrug*
People probably get sick of it and do the shuffling themselves, when running a Major League team, but I don't think there's hope for you if you are playing a Minors team since the AI will be running the player acquisition and placement for the whole organization you're in. :(
Yeah I'm managing a rookie league, so I expect I'll see some new talent once they do the international and regular drafts.
That AI behavior may still be an issue.
As I alluded to, the AI running your head organization will dump most of their draftees into a single team, at each minor league level, and overload it while the others get very little or even nothing.
Maybe they improved it with this years' OOTP (I've not played the latest yet) but that's how the AI handled it's new minor league player allotment for at least the last 3 previous OOTP versions, and likely more.
Better hope you're the one team at that minor level which gets them all.
Well I got passed down some players from higher leagues. I was actually quite surprised by some of the ratings of the players much I higher than I was expecting. But then you have to play the games. I have a player that has some of the best hitting (not power) but eye, concentration, contact, and non-strikeouts in the league. His hitless so far and has something like 10 out of 12 at bats recorded for strike outs. My best and most consistent fielder and hitter shouldn't by all merits should be like the 3 alternate. In game, he's batting around .300 with risp.
OMG! My pitching is atrocious. I've averaged 7 runs a game the last 10 and have not won a single one of them. It's amazing really. I'm afraid every single time I have to go into the bullpen. Unfortunately my starters are seldom giving me more than 4 innings without giving up 4 or more runs. Craziness.
Quote from: MengJiao on October 16, 2015, 08:19:09 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 16, 2015, 06:46:16 AM
I think a may choose to play some more CMANO Northern Fury this weekend.
Maybe some CMANO. Definitely some DCS and ARMAIII and probably some Wing Leader.
I guessed pretty well what I would be doing. Yes, DCS (shot myself down blowing up a ship with rockets from an F86, for example) and
ARMAIII -- the Eden Editor (very beta) is out there. I spent a few minutes looking at that.
Quote from: Bison on October 19, 2015, 07:41:38 AM
OMG! My pitching is atrocious. I've averaged 7 runs a game the last 10 and have not won a single one of them. It's amazing really. I'm afraid every single time I have to go into the bullpen. Unfortunately my starters are seldom giving me more than 4 innings without giving up 4 or more runs. Craziness.
I can't bring myself to run a Minor League team. Other than the feast or famine issues with your AI superiors' roster management, the rosters themselves are a wide amalgamation that will probably change regularly (going back to the AI thing). Too much chaos for my preference.
That's actually one of the things I enjoy about being just the manager. You struggle to learn your team. Find what you think is the right combinations. Lament that the upper management is not getting the right talent. But mostly you become very attached to your players. It's a moment of !!!! Or ???? Or f$&k every game and a serious sense of dread or hope when you see the mail about personnel moves.